Apple HomeKit partner Honeywell takes on Google's Nest with Lyric smart thermostat

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Honeywell, a name familiar to hundreds of millions of consumers around the world thanks to its iconic round thermostats, is gearing up to put its own spin on the "internet of things" with a new, Internet-connected thermostat called Lyric.

Lyric's flagship feature is the ability to alter the temperature of a space dynamically. The most basic regulation is done using the owner's location, much like competing products from companies like Nest, which was recently acquired by Google.

"Most people don't have a predictable pattern to how they live their lives; why not have a thermostat that adjusts based on your real-time schedule?" Honeywell executive Beth Wozniak said in a release. "With the Lyric thermostat's geofencing capability, my house returns to my preferred comfort setting when I'm within a few miles from home. Quite simply, the Lyric thermostat offers me the ability to keep my life in tune delivering comfort when I'm home and savings when I'm gone."

Honeywell has gone one further, however, with a new addition called Fine Tune.

Fine Tune takes environmental factors like existing indoor and outdoor temperatures, humidity, and weather into account when adjusting the heating and cooling levels. This allows Lyric to find "the most comfortable temperature" for occupants, Honeywell says.

Lyric works alongside a smartphone app that allows for remote control, but it can also operate independently with controls located on the thermostat itself.

A proximity sensor illuminates the display when a user walks up to it, showing the current temperature and a color ring indicating the system's status -- orange for heating, blue for cooling, or green for energy saving mode. The display can also show current and future weather data.

Honeywell is one of a number of manufacturers that have partnered with Apple to support HomeKit, the iPhone maker's new home automation standard introduced with iOS 8. It is unknown whether Lyric will receive an update with HomeKit integration once iOS 8 ships this fall, though such an occurrence is likely.

Lyric is available now from HVAC contractors and will be on retail shelves in August for $279.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    It would be great if there was an upgrade program for those with Nest. We could send in the &^()*@ Google devices and get a Lyric thermometer.

I bought Nest because I believed and TRUSTED in the Nest company - definitely not true for Google.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Sure sounds like my Nest being described
  • Reply 3 of 57
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member

Glad these are announced. I close on my new house in a month. May just wait for the DIY option. Love the geofencing option.

• Reply 4 of 57
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Does the Nest have geofencing at the moment? I didn't think so (could be wrong, and am sure they will).

• Reply 5 of 57
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Most of the features touted here are already available Europe and have been for a while. The Tado Thermostat has all these features and more, what's more they are looking to build in the support for the new features in iOS 8.

• Reply 6 of 57
    peterbobpeterbob Posts: 60member
    Android app as well.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    kent909 wrote: »

It's even round like the Nest! Those thieving bastards at Honeywell can't do anything original. /s
  • Reply 8 of 57
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Finally got into their website and found dimensions; 3' dia x 1" thick, just about the same as the Nest. One thing I noticed was the battery it uses. It looks like a typical AA battery while the Nest uses a lithium-ion rechargeable battery, which is supposed to work for several years.

I really wish Honeywell would have entered with a much lower price, something under $200 would have been better than almost $300. This isn't an iWatch after all. :-)

• Reply 9 of 57
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Honeywell is no small company. I'm sure Google is not pleased but this surely was expected.

"Would you like Honeywell in your home... or Nest?"

Reminds me of what they used to say about IBM... "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM".

• Reply 10 of 57
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's even round like the Nest! Those thieving bastards at Honeywell can't do anything original. /s

HAHA! Good one! 

My neighbor still has the original honeywell as their main thermostat. It's cool and all, but seriously, they have to adjust it 5 times a day!

• Reply 11 of 57
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    That explains the recent $20 price drop on the Nest.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/44451/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 12 of 57
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    wouldn't be surprised to see this selling for $225 by mid 2015.

wish hvac systems would have per room electric dampers so it could just cool the rooms i'm in rather than my whole zone.
  • Reply 13 of 57

I remember from WWDC when they announced HomeKit and were showing slides of various types of devices. When they got to thermostats Apple showed Honeywell, not Nest. Quite the snub, I'd say.

• Reply 14 of 57
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member

Google must be kicking themselves in the butt for buying Next for 3.2 billion.

• Reply 15 of 57
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But can I see ads on the thing?
  • Reply 16 of 57
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    take that, tony fadell!
  • Reply 17 of 57
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    That's the whole issue. There's nothing special about the concept or execution. With multiple vendors already in the home thermostat space, of course Nest would see competition. And your home thermostat doesn't carry the fashion or luxury goods cachet of a smartphone, for example. So I think it makes sense for Apple to take the approach they are taking, leaving it up to the vendors of utilitarian products like thermostats and such to create products that integrate with the Apple iOS ecosystem. Google spent a lot of money on hardware when the sexiness and consumer appeal lies in the software.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But can I see ads on the thing?

http://www.lyric.honeywell.com/ lots of info and videos

• Reply 19 of 57
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

Anyone still wants to b1tch why Apple didn't buy Nest?!! :smokey:

• Reply 20 of 57
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Google must be kicking themselves in the butt for buying Next for 3.2 billion.

Nest is going to start building headphones.