Pebble's iOS-compatible Steel smart watch hits Best Buy with leather band-only bundle

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Pebble's high-end Steel smart watch is now available at Best Buy's online shop, and will hit the retail chain's brick-and-mortar locations this Sunday, both at a price of $229.99 with a leather band.

Steel

The iPhone-compatible Pebble Steel is already advertised on Best Buy's website in both black matte and brushed stainless, and is advertised to ship within one day. The smart watch models are set to become available in physical stores this Sunday alongside a new color option of the original Pebble: "arctic white," which will sell for $149.95.

"Pebble's first smartwatch, which was launched exclusively at Best Buy, made a big splash with consumers last year," said Carly Charlson, spokesperson for Best Buy. "This is technology that people want to test and try before buying, so we're happy to partner with Pebble again and bring the same exclusive opportunity to our customers for Pebble Steel."

Pebble also continues to offer its products online, where the Steel costs $249 and comes with a metal band. The company did not indicate to AppleInsider whether Best Buy's leather-only configuration is exclusive to the retailer, or if the option might be coming to online shoppers direct through Pebble.

Pebble helped to jumpstart interest in the smart watch market when its Kickstarter campaign broke records and generated significant buzz. Just last week, the Pebble platform was updated to add support for Apple's location-based iBeacons, as well as wireless iPhone volume control.

Steel

Best Buy has been quick to embrace the smart watch trend, carrying the Pebble for almost a year. The retailer has also offered the iPhone-compatible MetaWatch since last fall, and sells an assortment of iOS-connected wearable devices from companies like Nike, Fitbit, Misfit, and Jawbone.

Apple, of course, is rumored to be planning its own entrance into the wearables market, with most speculation centering around a so-called "iWatch" that would be worn on the wrist and would track health and fitness related data. The latest reports claim that Apple may be planning an October event to unveil such a product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    fasttrfasttr Posts: 2member
    It's not really a discount. The Best Buy version only comes with a leather strap. The Pebble Store's version has the metal AND leather straps included. Personally that's a mistake to not include the steel band. I would have paid $230 for the steel band only version but the leather band only is a none starter.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Okay, how many of which things are required for a feature-watch to be called a "smartwatch"?

HR monitor? Email? Web browser? Tip calculator? Connectivity to a computer/"smart" phone? Potential to run 3rd party apps? Available 3rd party apps?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I'll wait for the fire sale later in the year.

• Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Okay, how many of which things are required for a feature-watch to be called a "smartwatch"?

HR monitor? Email? Web browser? Tip calculator? Connectivity to a computer/"smart" phone? Potential to run 3rd party apps? Available 3rd party apps?

Tip calculator - and it has to be one that calculates each individual contribution if some one had extra pepperoni - qualifies it as a smart phone - /s

• Reply 5 of 8
    I stopped wearing a watch when it kept scraping on the wrist rest area of my MBP. That made me think... I have a clock on my menu bar and one on my cellphone; plus they both show the perfect time, not some close approximate and both can deliver me alarms and reminders. I took my watch off and never looked back.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    What a hideous looking device. Not worth the price tag.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

What a hideous looking device. Not worth the price tag.

seems a lot of people have a different opinion - and have voted with their check book.

you may call it hideous - and while I think their are much nicer looking watches - there are many many watches that are much uglier. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - i think its neither ugly, nor disgusting to look at

• Reply 8 of 8
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    seems a lot of people have a different opinion - and have voted with their check book.
    you may call it hideous - and while I think their are much nicer looking watches - there are many many watches that are much uglier. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - i think its neither ugly, nor disgusting to look at
    C'mon, it's hideous. Apple will show us how it's done, then this'll be dead. They are all rushing out garbage before Apple because they know that they will need to scrap it and start again very soon.