Samsung endorser LeBron James made a reported $30M from Apple's Beats buy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Someone will have to bear responsibility for this Beats non-sense. If Tim thinks that Apple users will rush to buy overpriced streaming subscriptions to add to the pool of the existing 110k Beats customers, he is deeply mistaken.  I am thinking Cook is going out in 2-3 years.

Tim is going nowhere. Make some sense in your comments.  Beats acquisition is lot more than what you think. A lot more.

Tim is genius. First know that.

• Reply 22 of 75

Doesn't he get paid that per game?

• Reply 23 of 75

Racist? Wow talk about reading something into nothing. Wonder who the real racist is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Ok, so all celebrity endorsers are "whores"? Or just the "urban" ones? I've read a lot of your angry rants, but this barely-concealed coded racist language "This is the kind of people that Apple wishes to be associated with?" is much too much. There, I said it. 

• Reply 24 of 75
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    I did hearing the samsung are trolling again. I am had enough about stupid samsung trolling.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I hope you are joking. 

Wall Street almost single handily destroyed the entire world economy multiple times ( great depression, 2000 bubble, real estate bubble, ect)

Wall Street is full of pathelogical liars and crooks.

Versus how many people have they made filthy rich? Wall Street wasn't the lone offender is those instances. They weren't the ones handing out mortgages to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Quote:

... Apple doesn't need any damn sports stars or sports celebrities to promote their products, and I find it ridiculous that somebody is making off with millions after being a paid shill for Samsung.

Samsung wasn't the only one that paid celebrities to sell products.  Remember the days that Apple had iPod commercials featuring U2, Coldplay, M&M songs?  What about Robin Williams for the more recent "What's your verse" ads?  Apple just does it better and subtle celebrity references than Samsung.

• Reply 27 of 75
    carthusia wrote: »
    Ok, so all celebrity endorsers are "whores"? Or just the "urban" ones? I've read a lot of your angry rants, but this barely-concealed coded racist language "This is the kind of people that Apple wishes to be associated with?" is much too much. There, I said it. 

In reality we're almost all 'whores'. We sell ourselves, our time, our knowledge, etc, etc to our employer.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

When he plays a game, does he get paid by both his team and the team that he's playing against?

He should stick to throwing balls through hoops, because Apple has no use for his talents, in my opinion.

You do realize Apple isn't paying him, nor using his talents, right?  He essentially invested in Beats in 2008.  That investment netted him quite a healthy return when Beats sold for $3 billion in 2014.  Since he is a 'celebrity' and Apple is somehow involved it qualifies as news here.  Calling him a sell out because Apple chose to buy a company he invested in is pretty silly.  You might as well call Apple the sellout for buying a company at which one of the owners uses something other than an Apple phone...

• Reply 29 of 75
    frood wrote: »
    You do realize Apple isn't paying him, nor using his talents, right?  He essentially invested in Beats in 2008.  That investment netted him quite a healthy return when Apple decided to pay $3 billion for it in 2014.

It just burns him up that LeBron is getting paid indirectly. :lol:
  • Reply 30 of 75
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Racist? Wow talk about reading something into nothing. Wonder who the real racist is...

I had a feeling I would see this type of post coming. Reading something into nothing? Ok. 

• Reply 31 of 75
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In reality we're almost all 'whores'. We sell ourselves, our time, our knowledge, etc, etc to our employer.

I agree, and in that sense LeBron is no different.

• Reply 32 of 75
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Great, so people who were willing to whore themselves out to Samsung, are now also going to be promoting for Beats, which is now Apple owned?

Yeah, go ahead, tell me how Apple can do no wrong, and tell me how this Beats deal is great for Apple. Like I said before, it's not just about the damn money. Tell me why I should feel that this news is positive? I think that it stinks.

I don't want any fake, clueless mofos to be getting money from both Samsung and Apple. They can go and screw themselves. 

Apple is acquiring a company that apparently does not share the same philosophy that Apple has always had. Apple doesn't need any damn sports stars or sports celebrities to promote their products, and I find it ridiculous that somebody is making off with millions after being a paid shill for Samsung.

This is the kind of people that Apple wishes to be associated with? What crap.

Doesn't share that same philosophy as Apple? Are you sure? I seem to remember a U2 Branded iPod being presented by Steve himself, followed by another one with Maddona in what Bono himself called “art, commerce, and technology colliding". I seem to also remember that until very recently, there were performers at the end of almost every Keynote – from Nora Jones to John mayer, Alicia Keys (both of which are BB shills), Foo Fighters and the previously mentioned U2. I believe those are celebrities endorsing the brand.

Also LeBron is neither fake nor clueless in this regard as he was smart enough to be paid in shares for something he wanted to endorse and not just a cheque. You are taking brand loyalty to a ridiculous length, and you would do well to remember they are (both) a multi-national conglomerate. All they see when they look at you is dollar signs. People are willing to buy things that people such as LeBron also like and have made companies rich for associating themselves with celebrities like him. He's smart enough to get a cut from what he's generating for those companies. Everything you said just sounds like "hater talk".

• Reply 33 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Blatant racism right there.

What on earth did Lebron do to be considered a bad person?  He never committed a single crime in his life.  He was able to come out of an incredibly bad situation (single mom, dirt poor, lived in the projects of cleveland) to become a role model for millions of urban youth.  What crime did he do?  He's donated millions of dollars to charity.  I'm not even a Lebron fan but even I can see he's a decent person.

Funny I did not hear you say these comments when quirky actress/indie songstress Zooey Deschanel was endorsing Apple products.

Or when Robin Williams did voice over work for the Verse ads?

Or these in the 2007 hello commerical: Lucille Ball,Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando, Jerry Lewis, Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, Peter Sellers, Steve McQueen, Richard Dreyfuss, Burt Reynolds, Julianne Moore, Robert Redford, Michael J. Fox, Harrison Ford, John Cusack, Audrey Tautou, Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman, Will Ferrell, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jeff Bridges, Billy Crystal, Cameron Diaz,  John Travolta, Robert De Niro, Ben Stiller, Michael Douglas

Or Coldplay

Or the Beattles

Only when a Black Urban Superstar benefits you come out crying like a KKK member.

PATHETIC.

I wonder if the reaction would be the same if it was Bubba Watson who invested in Beats and made $30,000,000.

That good old boy could buy himself the $525,000 Richard Mille watch he is currently sponsored to wear.

• Reply 34 of 75
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

All these high profile athletes and celebs getting paid by samsung to advertise its products then most being caught off guard in a personal moment using an iphone... its so lame for samsung. I have never heard of a instance when the opposite has happened. An iphone endorser caught using a samsung phone, lol it even sounds funny!

To be honest, that not really true, since John Mayer professed his love for all things apple on stage with steve and then had BB sponsor his whole tour. You also had Alicia Keys perform at a keynote in much the same vein before she took at "creative" role at the same company. The reason it doesn't happen often is that Apple doesn't usually use Celebrity endorsements in marketing. If they did, I'm sure something would pop up.

• Reply 35 of 75
    sog35 wrote: »
    But they were the ones betting that those mortgages would be paid.  Wall Street sold those mortages as financial paper.  That's why the government had to spend hundreds of BILLIONS of $ to buy up those toxic assets.  Foreclosures were bad.  But what tanked the economy was the money betting that these mortgages would not default.

You seriously need to read up on the corruption and stupidity of Wall Street.

The government didn't spend anything. It was all paid back. I'll agree with stupidity, but corruption is much harder to prove. They were sold a bill of goods and swallowed it hook, line, and sinker without any due diligence.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm making a mental note these days to check what headphones people are wearing around me. Whether in the gym in malls, coffee shops, on the road, etc- the ratio I'm seeing is seriously 70% beats headphones, 25% Apple, and the rest everything else. Yes, whether you like it or not, Beats are extremely popular and mainstream. WIth the Beats purchase, Apple now OWNS the headphone market, which means they can do very interesting things in the future (ie. transitioning to lightning headphones would be much easier). Many things about this deal make sense from multiple angles. 

I thought the consensus was that Apple bought Beats for the streaming service and the talents of Iovine and Dre. The headphone part of the deal was said to be secondary.

This is a new side of Apple that we have not seen before. I'm sure they have a plan, but to me, it is not immediately obvious what that plan is. At first, I was surprised and confused by the rumor/announcement, and admittedly was not a big fan of the deal, but I now have a wait and see attitude. Perhaps Apple Beats by Dre will become as much a household name as Nike Air Jordan has become. It is just somewhat out of context of a typical Apple acquisition.

I think most of the vocal opposition, here in the forum, feel that associating with Beats somehow dilutes the pristine Apple brand, because of the street thug reputation of hip-hop-rap artists, but Apple has been prominently promoting this type of music and subculture for several years on the home page of the iTunes Store. I don't buy that type of music but Apple apparently doesn't mind selling it.

• Reply 37 of 75
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

But they were the ones betting that those mortgages would be paid.  Wall Street sold those mortages as financial paper.  That's why the government had to spend hundreds of BILLIONS of $ to buy up those toxic assets.  Foreclosures were bad.  But what tanked the economy was the money betting that these mortgages would not default.

You seriously need to read up on the corruption and stupidity of Wall Street.

All true and a number of Wall Street and Banking execs should have gone to jail.   And there's also tons of cheating done on Wall Street, whether it's firms who use automated buying and selling systems that manipulate the market, analysts who write negatively about a stock because they want to short it or the sorts of inane financial manipulation that almost no one understands and is still taking place.   And of course, there's also the arrogance displayed after the bailouts when banking and Wall Street execs cried that the Government was against them and turned them into villains as they still lived in their $15 million apartments and wore their $3000 suits at the same time that many ordinary people lost their life savings. 

But it's also true that Wall Street has made even ordinary people lots of money, especially once the market started to recover after 2008.  Since then, only 2011 was a terrible year, but 2013 was spectacular.    I'm an idiot investor and even I've made lots of money, especially last year.   Yes, it could all come crashing down again, but right now, things are looking pretty good.    

• Reply 38 of 75
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The government didn't spend anything. It was all paid back. I'll agree with stupidity, but corruption is much harder to prove. They were sold a bill of goods and swallowed it hook, line, and sinker without any due diligence.

Only if you also consider the return on investments.

According to ProPublica, as of June 10th, the Government put out $611 billion in money spent, invested or loaned.   Only $387 billion has been returned, but the Government earned $255 billion in revenue on those investments and loans.   This has resulted in total income of $643 billion for a profit of $30.6 billion.

(By the way, if a poll was taken, how many people would know that the Government actually did make a profit on the bailouts?   I bet 7% or less.)

• Reply 39 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

The guy is racist to the core. It's the only rational explanation for the rage he has in such posts. He's so upset about Apple being "tainted" by these people of color. It's despicable, really. As if he, and everyone else on this forum (including me, regardless of how much I hate Samsung) would turn down the chance to be paid millions of dollar for appearing in a damn ad about a phone. Apple ][ has no problem with white people doing this, but when a black person does it he defines them as "whores" and shills. The fact that he just can't come out and admit he's a blatant racist is hilarious- and sad. 

• Reply 40 of 75
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

I'm so happy LeBron has another $30 million I could just shit.