Skype for iOS gets Windows Phone-style makeover with version 5.0

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Microsoft on Thursday unleashed an all-new version of its popular Skype messaging application for iOS, bringing a visual overhaul that matches the app to its Windows Phone counterpart and a number of improvements to speed and stability.

The most noticeable difference in the user interface -- aside from the larger, thinner typography -- is the shift from traditional iOS-style tabbed navigation to the trademark swipe gesture used to move between views on Windows Phone. Skype's navigation bar now features just two buttons, allowing quick access to the dialer and chats.

Microsoft says that the new "remastered" version is more than 5 times faster than its predecessor, and the company also promises improvements for users who use Skype on multiple devices. Reading a message on one device will now mark it read on other devices, a welcome improvement.

Additionally, iPhone users can now initiate group chats and the app features in-app notifications to quickly move between conversations.

Initially scheduled to drop next week, Skype for iPhone version 5.0 has been appearing seemingly randomly in regional App Stores around the world throughout the day Thursday. The shaky rollout now seems to be complete, and users can get the app as a free, 44.7-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    It looks... kinda the same?

Strange they would produce such a video for an update. But nice to see they're focusing on iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    What does "5 times faster" mean for a communication app? Can I have a 5 minute phone all in 1 minute now?

Frankly Apple can't complain much about a MS app not adhering to all the iOS style guidelines when iTunes didn't bend over backwards to be a "normal" Windows app.
  • Reply 3 of 34

I just tried to update and am getting "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"

Since I use Skype as my primary business line, perhaps I should hold off on trying the update again for a bit :)

• Reply 4 of 34
    Good. This is the roll I like for Microsoft. Just another struggling app developer. It presses them to do their best work. And, they're not Google, so yay for that.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Just tried to update and it says "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"

Did it get pulled already?

(and djames4242 beats me by 57 seconds...)

• Reply 6 of 34

I had to hit update a couple times before it let me install it.

I am not to impressed by the design, to me it makes it feel more cluttered and harder to get to stuff.

• Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Strange they would produce such a video for an update. But nice to see they're focusing on iPhone.

MS wanted to see if they could get more than 22 hits for the app...

• Reply 8 of 34
    Tried to update - App Store tells me it is no longer available. Maybe it is broken.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ferdchet View Post

Tried to update - App Store tells me it is no longer available. Maybe it is broken.

yup its either pulled - or so awesomely desirable that demand overloaded the usb flash drive in the server with the MS apps on it

• Reply 10 of 34
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Its just not an update. Its introducing Windows style navigation to iOS users. Its lot more than what your thought.

• Reply 11 of 34
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

yup its either pulled - or so awesomely desirable that demand overloaded the usb flash drive in the server with the MS apps on it

This is in Apple's servers. 

• Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

This is in Apple's servers. 

yes - but i think its still the interns job at apple to be responsible for plugging in the MS flash drive /s

• Reply 13 of 34
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Is it built with SWIFT?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

And it's probably a USB 1.0 flash drive.  Far slower data rate than USB 3.0.

• Reply 15 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    malax wrote: »
    What does "5 times faster" mean for a communication app? Can I have a 5 minute phone all in 1 minute now?

Frankly Apple can't complain much about a MS app not adhering to all the iOS style guidelines when iTunes didn't bend over backwards to be a "normal" Windows app.

Did Windows even have guidelines?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

yes - but i think its still the interns job at apple to be responsible for plugging in the MS flash drive /s

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And it's probably a USB 1.0 flash drive.  Far slower data rate than USB 3.0.

here it is

• Reply 17 of 34
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Is it built with SWIFT?

Unlikely.

Swift is currently in beta. It is doubtful that any major developer will use a beta programming language for an app like Skype. Apple has not promised that the final version of Swift will be source compatible with the version developers currently have access to.

For sure, many developer are dabbling with it, but there's a learning curve associated with any new language (whether it be programming, spoken, whatever).

It's a bit early for people to have grasped all the nuances of a programming language that was introduced about ten days ago.

• Reply 18 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Improvements to Skype are welcome. It has always felt clunky to me, with recent versions feeling less clunky. File transfers are still very weak, but the addition of syncing 'read' status across devices is a huge plus! Viber still needs that.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I just tried to update and am getting "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"

Since I use Skype as my primary business line, perhaps I should hold off on trying the update again for a bit :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Just tried to update and it says "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"

Did it get pulled already?

(and djames4242 beats me by 57 seconds...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferdchet View Post

If you would like to install the update, you should delete the Skype app from your iPhone. Then find Skype in the app store on the iPhone, touch the cloud with the downward arrow, and version 5.0 will download to the iPhone.

You will need to log in.

• Reply 20 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    Will never use ever, but good luck Microsoft.