Vessyl iOS-connected smart cup analyzes, tracks what you drink

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Keeping tabs on your diet is set to become a little easier thanks to Vessyl, a new Yves Behar-designed smart cup that analyzes the chemical makeup of its contents and automatically sends the drink's nutritional information to an iOS device.

Vessyl uses a small, proprietary sensor located inside the glass-lined cup to detect what kind of liquid it's holding and how fast the user is drinking. It tracks a number of parameters -- from standard nutritional information to the brand of the drink -- and displays the data using a companion app or via an embedded display on the side of the cup.

Mark One, Vessyl's creators, say the 13-ounce cup can handle any kind of liquid that people normally drink. It can even analyze thicker liquids, like yogurt and smoothies.

A built-in battery will power the cup's sensor and display for between five and seven days. The battery can be topped up in approximately one hour using an inductive charging pad -- which Mark One calls a "saucer" -- that plugs into a wall socket.

Vessyl is available now for pre-order directly from the company's website at a discounted cost of $99. The cups are expected to ship early next year, at which time the price will increase to $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    This is just getting ridiculous! The future people!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Wow--I'm amazed at the reported results. Makes me want a more generalized sensor (of which I believe several have been proposed) to analyze more than just liquids; more than just foods, even. "What kind of wood is this?" "What kind of paint?" "What's the fat content in this dog treat?" "Is this vegan?" "Is this made from wheat?" As prices drops to $100 and below, personal molecular sensors (or whatever?) will be well worth it!

I don't want to track beverages, though. I already know I'm dehydrated, for free!
  • Reply 3 of 51
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

That's enough now. This is getting silly.

• Reply 4 of 51
    Yeah, come on. Really? How about you just look on the label. Saw a device that alerts your phone when your plants need water. Seriously? how about you just check it?

What's next? An alarm that tells you when to take a breath?
  • Reply 5 of 51
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    OK. I'm sick of "smart" devices. Why do I need this? Harumph. You kids get off my lawn.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    OK. I'm sick of "smart" devices. Why do I need this? Harumph. You kids get off my lawn.

Didn't you mean 'whipper snappers'? :lol:
  • Reply 7 of 51
    For $0 I can read the nutrition label on what I'm about to drink, requires no batteries, and is dishwasher safe.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    It's silly now, but we're on the edge of some cool stuff.

Tracking your calories easily is the holy grail for not getting fat. You can do it with paper and pencil, but most people don't stick with it.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    dftabmdftabm Posts: 4member

Surely you mean versylly

• Reply 10 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Ever since hearing recently that iPhone 6 was rumoured to have wireless charging capabilities I can't get it out of my head. Like this cup, and other devices, it's the only way forward. I hope Schiller is going to go all in on wireless charging this time around.

• Reply 11 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Not for me, but might be useful for the elderly (if it cost $15-$30). At $99-$199 it's DOA.

• Reply 12 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ever since hearing recently that iPhone 6 was rumours to have wireless charging capabilities

You mean by one person in one thread, a few hours ago, with no source from anywhere? :p

• Reply 13 of 51
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gripmedia View Post

An IP address.

/s

• Reply 14 of 51
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member

Their FAQ does make it sound intriguing. Even better than this article make it sound. But I'm not carrying this around with me everywhere so it's going to miss a lot. And if drinking is where you get all your calories then you probably don't have money for this. hahahaha

• Reply 15 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gripmedia View Post

Yeah, come on. Really? How about you just look on the label. Saw a device that alerts your phone when your plants need water. Seriously? how about you just check it?

There are a lot 'because you can' apps out there. A kitchen vessel that can analyze it's content would be useful but a drinking vessel is a little OTT.

• Reply 16 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not for me, but might be useful for the elderly (if it cost $15-$30). At $99-$199 it's DOA.

Why do the elderly care? I think the target demographic would be the super self obsessed fitness and diet fanatical nerds out there. Not the elderly.

• Reply 17 of 51
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

For $0 I can read the nutrition label on what I'm about to drink, requires no batteries, and is dishwasher safe.

Yes, however this device will likely aggregate data.

Not everything comes out of a can or bottle. If you make your own juice, you'd have to manually weigh all the ingredients, look up the nutritional information, then tabulate. Altso, there is typically no nutritional information on alcoholic beverages. Heck, I buy orange juice at my town's farmers market, there's no nutritional information on that, nor is there for the cappuccino I drink at the local coffee shop.

For some, it is may be worth it, however, one shortcoming is that this only provides a partial view into your diet. 

Personally, I will not be buying these type of devices.

• Reply 18 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean by one person in one thread, a few hours ago, with no source from anywhere? :p

Perhaps. Think I saw it on 9to5. But of course that means Apple can no longer do it now :p

• Reply 19 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Perhaps. Think I saw it on 9to5. But of course that means Apple can no longer do it now :p

Or that they’ll just change the design out of spite. ;)

• Reply 20 of 51
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Nice!
    The future is MAGIC! If we do not destroy ourselves, the future will be pretty damn cool.