Apple HomeKit partner Honeywell takes on Google's Nest with Lyric smart thermostat

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

All these 'features' by Lyric/Nest can be easily done by programming.  Yet they hype it so they can charge premiums.  This is unapple.  Apple always bring new features to the masses with very reasonable prices.

• Reply 42 of 57
    kent909 wrote: »
    Sure sounds like my Nest being described

I think the Lyric is much better. It is definitely more predictable. The geofencing idea is excellent. The design and features are better on the Lyric.
  • Reply 43 of 57

You are so right about a lot of stuff !  But you know... its cool to control the temperature of your house remotely with your iPhone. Its gonna go mainstream, its inevitable.  However, this kind of product is applicable only for houses that have a centralized ventilation system. For my part, I have thermostats in every room so it won't apply for me...  :(

As for the "but consumer have not way of measuring whether they are saving money", may I add this link to Neurio, a brilliant product that monitors your energy consumption : https://www.neur.io/.  ; Cheers!

• Reply 44 of 57
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

HAHA! Good one! 

My neighbor still has the original honeywell as their main thermostat. It's cool and all, but seriously, they have to adjust it 5 times a day!

Sounds like the Nest I had, which isn't as smart as advertised.

Honeywell Prestige 2.0 FTW

• Reply 45 of 57
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Sure sounds like my Nest being described

Nest has only a proximity sensor to know if you're at home or away. If the Nest isn't located where people commonly traverse, the sensor is useless.

Honeywell has been in this business far longer than Nest and has many patented technologies that Nest has tried desperately to work around.

• Reply 46 of 57
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Moral of the story, don't mess with Apple or they will cut you off and you won't like that.

• Reply 47 of 57
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    When did I need a damn thermostat to learn sh** t about me.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    lee493lee493 Posts: 22member

• Reply 49 of 57
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Better not leave any of those gadgets at home then.

Well, I'm not going to post an entire software design for this, but suffice it to say that it can be solved. I have substantial SIGINT software experience, as do various operations at Honeywell, and there are simple solutions for detecting that a device is stationary. I'm sure Nest engineers and the fifteen other connected thermostat solutions in the coming years could figure it out too.

Certainly there are other challenges, but all it has to do is work. It's not like a Turing Test.

• Reply 50 of 57
    lee493lee493 Posts: 22member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's even round like the Nest! Those thieving bastards at Honeywell can't do anything original. /s

but the Nest itself totally copied the size and shape of Honeywell's long-running, iconic T87 round thermostat

• Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

add insteon ... add this-> http://www.indigodomo.com/

(or go Zwave... or whatever...  I make no claim for the above, other than it works for me.... on my mac mini).

This is _the_ thing.   Home automation is not having a whole bunch things that turn on/off automatically.

Seconded. I'm a big fan of Indigo / Insteon also. The Indigo home automation server runs on my Mac Mini 24/7, which is also a server for Time Machine, iTunes, and printing from all our iOS devices. Indigo controls my sprinklers, thermostat, and whole-house fans, exactly as I want, allowing control from anywhere. There's so much more I could be doing with it though -- and probably will in the future. I have no interest in point solutions that rely on an iDevice for connectivity/control. Although I can see the appeal -- they are simpler, but also more limited.

• Reply 52 of 57
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    beluga wrote: »
    thermostat wars heating up!

And not just thermostats... all sorts of home automation devices.

Nest may have started the "thermostat 2.0" era... but I think HomeKit will finally offer home automation to the masses.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    I wonder how much input Apple has given Honeywell. Honeywell is stuck in the 90s when it comes to product development. I would be shocked if Honeywell could even knock off Nest. Hopefully Apple is coaching them.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Apple is smart to work with an entrenched player like Honeywell. Apple needs quick adoption of its platform and startups like Nest don't have the distribution channels. There will be millions of Lyric thermostats in homes next year simply because a home builder will ask a new homeowner if they want one.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee493 View Post

Quote:

but the Nest itself totally copied the size and shape of Honeywell's long-running, iconic T87 round thermostat

Yes I am pretty sure OP was being sarcastic and witty. 

Or, as you imply, perhaps I gave him too much credit and he was really just ignorant about the most famous industrial design every-day electrical appliance of the last 50 years.

• Reply 56 of 57
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

I was really expecting some "Wozniak" comments. 

• Reply 57 of 57
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member

Have been waiting for geo-fencing in a thermostat and glad it's coming from Honeywell rather than Google-Nest, but curious if Honeywell will also include it in their iPad shaped Wi-Fi thermostats.  I like the additional information that is displayed on those models.  They could snaz it up a little by making it thinner and with a smaller bezel ... basically make it look like an iPad Mini.  Actually, it could serve as the perfect hub for a smart home.