Skype for iOS gets Windows Phone-style makeover with version 5.0

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I've long since dumped Skype in favor of Google Hangouts and occasionally FaceTime.

• Reply 22 of 34
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Just tried to update and it says "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"

Did it get pulled already?

(and djames4242 beats me by 57 seconds...)

Just delete the app from your phone and reinstall. Then you get the latest version. Worked for me.

However, the new UI is fugly IMO
  • Reply 23 of 34
    malax wrote: »
    What does "5 times faster" mean for a communication app? Can I have a 5 minute phone all in 1 minute now?

Frankly Apple can't complain much about a MS app not adhering to all the iOS style guidelines when iTunes didn't bend over backwards to be a "normal" Windows app.

Usually Apple doesn't complain; they just refuse your app for not following UI guidlines.
  • Reply 24 of 34

It's available again. I'm not crazy about the new interface (I don't see the point of using non-standard tabbing, for instance) but it's a considerable improvement over version 4.x. It's streamlined, more contrasted, less cluttered, and the font is more readable as well. So far, so good.

• Reply 25 of 34
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

I have no problem with MS peddling their stuff on Apple gear. The more they do that, the less relevant they make their already irrelevant hardware. 

Plus, we get more options in the process. Now we have all those other apps, plus Skype. 

• Reply 26 of 34
    empiresempires Posts: 20member

Skype for iPhone, now with direct links to the NSA.....;)... OH wait, thats the same as before ?!?

• Reply 27 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    And the visual style of Windows Phone and iOS 7 differ how?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    dcj001 wrote: »

If you would like to install the update, you should delete the Skype app from your iPhone. Then find Skype in the app store on the iPhone, touch the cloud with the downward arrow, and version 5.0 will download to the iPhone.

You will need to log in.

Sounds like typical Microsoft cr4p. I'll wait a couple of weeks, thanks.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Now how about fixing the POS Mac version of your crapware... I live overseas so use S to maintain a US phone number but find the call quality subpar, by far, and the desktop interface to be pathetic.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    How about asking first if I want to watch an inane video about who made the silly app when I upgrade it??? I know it can be bypassed after it starts, but that's not the point.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

How about asking first if I want to watch an inane video about who made the silly app when I upgrade it??? I know it can be bypassed after it starts, but that's not the point.

Holy crap, they make you do this? What do they think Skype is, a video game?

Seems like the easiest solution would be to open the .app package and just delete the file in question.

• Reply 32 of 34
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Can't even access other user's profile anymore and the send button doesn't work either without leaving the conversation and then returning to it, etc.
    Maybe some flakiness is due to iOS 8DP, but certainly not the missing functionality.
    So maybe v5.5 will be ready for prime time.

On the OS X side, everything past the v2.8.x releases of Skype has been an unmitigated disaster. I still run the old version for as long as I can, but since m$ took over Skype the old version won't work with video anymore since it's probably not NSA compliant...
  • Reply 33 of 34
    ryannejryannej Posts: 15member
    Yeah the video sucks and I couldn't find a way to bypass it. Noticed the very Microsoft ask UI but it's not bad, things are easier to navigate.

Though two glaring issues for me. First, the damn notifications are still broken. Pop-ups happen if I'm in a conversation with somebody and I switch to the home screen for whatever reason. If somebody has sent messages while I'm in another app I get those messages plus a whole bunch from many lines up in the conversation. They pop up incredibly fast and make all a lot of noise this was a problem in other versions and they said this was supposed to be fixed. Well it's not.

And another complaint I have albeit a minor one as I figured a shortcut for it. The dictation text will show up as white space and you can't see what it is you've just "typed" to correct any errors. I use this a lot and it was very frustrating until I discovered if I hit backspace it'll show up.

The app crashed multiple times after install. Though I am running an iPhone 4s I kind of expect that to some degree. Though to be perfectly honest it doesn't seem to function much better it just looks different. Some of the animations are sped up it seems so I guess that's what they mean by "faster"
  • Reply 34 of 34
    This has to be the worst, absolutely worst, app upgrade in the history of apps. Feature stripped, crud all over the screen, horrible to use.. Just nasty. Shame MS do not seem to care and have left the monkeys in charge. I guess that's what happens when you become too big and arrogant.