Yahoo Finance frets that Apple's iPhone, iPad "only" grab the majority of all mobile shopping traffi

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Apple's iPhone accounted for 58 percent of smartphone shopping traffic while iPads took an overwhelming 86 percent share among tablets, but Yahoo Finance is warning investors that Apple's dominance of shopping is "slowly losing share."

Based on data from e-commerce data tracker Monetate, Marissa Mayer's struggling Yahoo Finance group traded the fleeting remains of its credibility for some click-bait traffic in publishing an astounding editorial that portrayed online customers' overwhelming preference of iOS as a "high class problem" for Apple.

Written by spinmeister-of-doom Jim Edwards, who has previously misled his Business Insider audience with such claptrap as the claim the Apple's iPad dominance over tablets was "collapsing" (that's wrong, here's why); that Apple's iPhone 5c "has been a disaster" (that's wrong, here's why) and most recently that "Apple Is Losing The War To Android," (a fallacy that he demolished himself today), Edwards' efforts to spin Apple's vast lead as a cause for concern reached a new low in the Internet battle for saying stupid things about Apple.

Customers prefer iPads

Less than two months after Edwards churned out his hit piece on the "collapse" of iPad market share, he's now stating, "cheaper Android tablets have come along and, over time, have eaten a small amount of [tablet shopping] market share, about 15%. You could say that for Apple to retain an 86% share after three years of competing with every other device-maker on the planet is proof that Apple hasn't missed a step."

The "over time" period he's referring to is Q2 2011 through Q1 2014, or the entire stretch of all Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets and all of their Android 4.x successors. All Android tablets ever sold (with all Windows tablets thrown in, too) amount to a 15 percent share of online buying traffic.

According to market research by firms like IDC and Strategy Analytics, Apple's iPad share among "shipping tablets" globally has fallen to around 32.5 percent, although getting the iPad's share that low requires folding in "kids tablets and toys" as well as all of Microsoft's Windows licensees making 2-in-1 hybrid laptops.

The puzzle then, is with less than a third of the world's tablet shipment inventory, how is Apple continuing to account for 86 percent of all tablet based shopping?

Never mind that education, government and corporate use of iPads is far higher (an astounding 92 to 94 percent); e-commerce shopping squarely targets the price-sensitive, budget home user market that Android and Windows tablets (like Microsoft's Surface dud) seek to target.

Yet Apple is maintaining an 86 percent tablet online shopping share after three years of Android tablets shipping in mass quantities. Those Android tablets must be occupying a lot of storage space and landfills.

Hold the phone (share)

That tablet head-scratcher is eclipsed by the iPhone's increased share in mobile shoppers since 2011, when according to Monetate's numbers, iPhone hit a nadir of just over 50 percent of all smartphone shopping traffic.

The iPhone is now at nearly 60 percent, despite all those years in between when the Yahoo Finance news feed maintained a study stream of warnings that Apple had "stopped innovating" and that Android had "won" in various ways, principally in displacing Symbian and Linux phones in the third world.

Edward's graph (above) is a little confusing in that it includes two quarters of data for Q1 2013, but overall it presents a clear picture that shows that mobile shoppers overwhelmingly prefer to use iOS, despite the fact that Android devices sell for much less and ship in far higher quantities.

His conclusion suggests, "this chart possibly implies that Samsung and other large-format Androids have done real damage to Apple's share of the e-commerce environment on phones since Q1 2013, Apple's peak."

However, over the last year, Samsung alone has shipped about twice as many phones as Apple. Samsung's sales, combined with the rest of the industry (all Android, all BlackBerry and all Windows Mobile phones) collectively amounted to a less than ten percent fluctuation in Apple's estimated commerce figures, and the take away is that "real damage" has occured?

What about the iPhone's increased share of e-commerce traffic visible since 2012, despite all of those Android smartphone shipments over the last two years? It seems as if all those Android sales only "did real damage" to the Android platform itself. Two years of increasing sales and their collective use share in shopping has gone down?

Et tu, Yahoo?

Yahoo's chief executive Mayer (below) is reported to be trying to sell Apple on its plan to provide revamped search services in place of Google, in exchange for greater traffic from Macs and iOS users.

Marissa Mayer

However, the latest developer builds of iOS 8 indicate that Apple is instead bypassing Yahoo in its built-in Weather app and partnering with Microsoft's Bing in Spotlight search services for OS X Yosemite just as it did for iOS 7's Siri.

Given the appalling misinformation that Yahoo Finance feeds into the existing iOS Stocks app, perhaps Apple should also partner with more legitimate news sources for financial information, too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    So, just another ordinary day at Yahoo.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    davidcdavidc Posts: 11member
    I'm trying to convert off of my.yahoo, and I've been trying for awhile. Their news service sucks. Why are there no other sites that provide such a simple service that's comparable to my.yahoo?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Apple's iPhone accounted for 58 percent of smartphone shopping traffic while iPads took an overwhelming 86 percent share among tablets, but <em>Yahoo Finance</em> is warning investors that Apple's dominance of shopping is "slowing losing share."

no it doesn't. it says it's "slowly losing share".

i guess if proofreading is too tedious for mikey campbell, it's way out of the question for the esteemed ded.
    Based on data from e-commerce data tracker <a href="http://monetate.com/">Monetate</a>, Marissa Mayer's struggling Yahoo Finance group traded the fleeting remains of its credibility for some click-bait traffic in publishing an <a href="http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-slowly-losing-dominance-online-164718866.html">astounding editorial</a> that portrayed online customers' overwhelming preference of iOS as a "high class problem" for Apple.

if anyone knows anything about trading credibility for click-bait traffic, it's ded.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Business Insider is a pathetic rag, right alongside most of the hack "contributors" at Forbes.
  • Reply 5 of 39

I finally banned Business Insider, Venture Beat, and their related sister sites from my Flipboard feeds. Completely biased reporting, I can't believe people take them seriously. I'd be willing to bet the National Enquirer is more accurate.

• Reply 6 of 39
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I guess "has lost a tiny bit of share" just doesn't get the clicks?

I applaud Yahoo Finance and Business Insider for saying WHATEVER it takes to get clicks, even if the majority of what they put out there is the opposite of the truth.

/S

• Reply 7 of 39
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member

Meanwhile, yahoo is disastrously close to going bankrupt.

Two can play at that came.

• Reply 8 of 39
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    interesting and informative piece - thanks. Horace from Asymco has touched on Microsoft cloud tech and Apple recently and based on Tim's keynote address that $150 million from years ago, hasn't being forgotten. On the doomer narrative - Emily "has Apple lost its innovation" Chang on Bloomberg is just a perfect example of producers/networks selling their journalist soul for viewship.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It once claimed more than 60% of the market. Recently, however it has sunk back to just over 58%.

A difference of less than 2%? Wow, that is a massive and shocking drop. I guess that Apple is doomed now.

Is this guy incredibly stupid or are there some other ulterior financial motives responsible for writing such idiocy? 

There are two ways to look at this chart (below)

Yeah, there's the intelligent and objective way, and then there's the brain damaged interpretation of it.

So this chart possibly implies that Samsung and other large-format Androids have done real damage to Apple's share of the e-commerce environment on phones since Q1 2013, Apple's peak.

What the chart implies is that Apple is still dominating, despite the crappy, combined efforts of every single Android vendor on the planet.

• Reply 10 of 39
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

`...slowing losing share.'

What the hell kind of descriptive journalism is that supposed to be?

• Reply 11 of 39
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It once claimed more than 60% of the market. Recently, however it has sunk back to just over 58%.

A difference of less than 2%? Wow, that is a massive and shocking drop. I guess that Apple is doomed now.

Is this guy incredibly stupid or are there some other ulterior financial motives responsible for writing such idiocy? 

There are two ways to look at this chart (below)

Yeah, there's the intelligent and objective way, and then there's the brain damaged interpretation of it.

So this chart possibly implies that Samsung and other large-format Androids have done real damage to Apple's share of the e-commerce environment on phones since Q1 2013, Apple's peak.

What the chart implies is that Apple is still dominating, despite the crappy, combined efforts of every single Android vendor on the planet.

Yahoo is forewarning investors that their earnings will be less, due to this marginal drop in iOS traffic, for Yahoo! relies heavily on their Apple contracts to generate revenue.

Come September when a new fleet of iOS hardware arrives he'll be upbeat.

• Reply 12 of 39
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPhone accounted for 58 percent of smartphone shopping traffic while iPads took an overwhelming 86 percent share among tablets, butYahoo Finance is warning investors that Apple's dominance of shopping is "slowing losing share."

i guess if proofreading is too tedious for mikey campbell, it's way out of the question for the esteemed ded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

if anyone knows anything about trading credibility for click-bait traffic, it's ded.

This is all you can comment on? Some typographical errors. Your comments need some proofreading as well. Try capitalizing the first word in your sentences.

As for Daniel's editorial, I would go a bit further and call in the SEC to investigate Yahoo's comments, which border on false and misleading information, obviously attempting to manipulate the market for their own benefit.

• Reply 13 of 39
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Tundraboy's law of grammar hawks: A post that pounces on someone else's bad gramnar is guaranteed to contain grammatical errors.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

All the news media is always looking for holes in Apple's business.  Why?  Because that's what gets people attention.  It's like poking a stick at a hornet's nest.  In this case, Apple's defenders and protagonists can gather round and let off steam.  No matter how much money Apple makes or how well the company is being run, there will always be those who simply want clicks and they'll use any little excuse to get it.  I always figured if Apple is really self-destructing, why would anyone except Apple shareholders really care?  Just let it go on its merry way to the end.  There are companies self-destructing all the time but they don't get half the attention that Apple gets from growing its wealth.  Why?  Because no one cares if some smaller company folds except for those shareholders and it wouldn't get clicks anyway.  Hewlett-Packard, Sony and Nintendo are really struggling, but you won't see that many stories about how those companies might be collapsing or great advice on how to help them.  Everyone is too busy giving Apple advice on how to stay relevant.

Do you realize how absurd that is for a company who's market cap is so far above every other publicly traded company on the planet it's astounding if you really think about it.  There are no signs whatsoever that Apple's business is waning.  No layoffs, monthly store openings, growing revenue, increased dividends, a hopeful product pipeline, etc.  All this despite falling market share which is obviously a poor metric to judge a company's success or future.  At what point will the news media indicate that all is well at Apple?  I don't think they'll ever come out and say so.  If the number one company on the planet is said to have holes in it, then I hate to think what all the companies below Apple have.  At this particular point in time, some of the stories about Apple's fight for survival are completely ridiculous.  How long are people going to talk about Steve Jobs carrying or not carrying Apple?  He's been dead since October, 2011 but people keep saying Apple is running based on his momentum.  I've heard of companies where the CEO died and the companies practically disappeared overnight.

I'd read a story saying how Xiaomi is challenging Apple for smartphone market share in China.  Xiaomi is a company worth about $10 billion in value and caters to the low-end consumer mostly selling $150 smartphones.  Why would someone in their right mind write a story like that?  It has to be to get clicks.  Nothing else would make any sort of sense because it's not rational that Xiaomi could possibly challenge Apple since they're not even going after the same market level.

• Reply 15 of 39
    :deleted:
  • Reply 16 of 39

Hmmm, I thought Yahoo was 'best friends' with Apple. This could be their way of showing 'we are independent' I guess.

Unfortunately, I haven't been too pleased with Yahoo search on my Mac. I end up using Google.

Also unfortunately, due to another story on AI, the moment I looked at the picture of Mayer, I was wondering what @NIZZARD wanted to do to her...

• Reply 17 of 39
    In confused. How on earth is having the majority of internet e commerce traffic on their devices a 'problem' for apple? Sure done people might 'try' android once but by all accounts a good number are going from android to iOS as they realise that with android cheap means limits and in today's society where people see electronics as essential limits are not good even when you get a discount. Sorry google you've made a rod for your own back saying you are a cheaper alternative to Apple ! Oh well ;)
  • Reply 18 of 39
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

It will be interesting to see if the Macalope decides to take this 'article' on over the weekend. It does seem to be taking the "Apple is Doomed" reality distortion field to a new (lower) level.

• Reply 19 of 39

Yahoo!'s analysis is about as good as the weather in their app. :rolleyes:

I have their app because it's such a beautiful design and Apple's is gorgeous too and both use Yahoo! data and both are rubbish if you want to know what the weather might be.

Every single time, without fail in my local area, Yahoo! say that I have at least one thunderstorm forecast. Sometimes they predict as many as 3 a week. I looked right now and they forecast one for Saturday. Guess what though? We've not had a thunderstorm here in about 4 months.

Says all that needs to be said really.

• Reply 20 of 39
    Hi Daniel,

If "Et tu" was an attempt at French, then the correct formulation is "Et toi" (What about you ?)

Thanks for your great articles