UK leads North America in iOS 7 adoption as iPhone distribution nears 90%

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
According to a recent study conducted by ad network Chitika, iOS device owners in the UK lead both North America and Australia in adoption of the company's latest iOS 7, with iPhone version distribution nearing 90 percent of surveyed users.

Source: Chitika Research

In a follow-up to an earlier report on North American iOS 7 distribution, Chitika's research arm Chitika Insights examined Web traffic generated by iOS devices in the UK and Australia, highlighting key similarities and differences between the three smartphone and tablet saturated regions.

Chitika found in a prior report limited to North America that iOS 7 users generated 89.7 percent of iPhone Web traffic on its network, while iPads running the latest iOS version represented 84.8 percent.

Adding to those numbers, the firm took measurements from millions of UK and Australia iOS online ad impressions generated from May 22 through May 28, dates that correspond with the data from the Americas.

Looking at iPhone distribution, the UK's adoption of iOS 7 was exactly the same as North America's metrics during the week-long period. Australia trailed with an 86.2 percent adoption rate. Chitika guesses the higher share of Australian iPhones running previous iOS versions may be due to the integration of Apple Maps, which has suffered a rash of negative press for country-specific inaccuracies since launching in 2012.

Source: Chitika Research

As for the iPad, iOS 7 adoption from UK users came in at 87 percent, more than two points higher than the Americas. Australia trailed with an 83.3 percent distribution rate, again possibly due to the Maps situation.

Interestingly, North American iPad owners led the pack in users still using iOS 5 or iOS 4 and below. One explanation for the metric may be early U.S. availability of the original iPad, which shipped one month ahead of the UK and Australia. Since the first-gen iPad can't run iOS 6 or 7, a greater percentage of U.S. users are limited to older versions of the mobile OS.

As Apple continues its annual OS refresh cycle, a growing number of iPhone and iPad owners will be unable to upgrade to the latest iOS version. Compared to fragmentation experience with Google's Android operating system, however, Apple's situation is not nearly as dire thanks to the company's comprehensive vertical integration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

I'm still using a first generation iPad every day and my wife, an iPhone 3G. No updates to iOS 7 there. Both and more to be replaced soon however.

• Reply 2 of 20
    iqatedo wrote: »
    I'm still using a first generation iPad every day and my wife, an iPhone 3G. No updates to iOS 7 there. Both and more to be replaced soon however.

WOW! Still using a 3G, says a lot about Apple hardware quality! When you upgrade to a new iPhone it will feel like having plumbing and electricity installed into your house.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm still using the first gen iPad, as well.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    iqatedo wrote: »

OMG, do you need help?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

WOW! Still using a 3G, says a lot about Apple hardware quality! When you upgrade to a new iPhone it will feel like having plumbing and electricity installed into your house.

Lol, for sure. I'm on a 5 but the contract will be concluded in September. The 3G is in perfect nick, good battery life still (the whole day with my wife's usage) and will be going back into its box as a momento to history (I'd love to have my 512k Mac with its original soft carry bag still).

• Reply 6 of 20
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    "Apple's situation is not nearly as dire thanks "

The understatement of the year, I wonder whether bloggers at AI ever read whatever they had written.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Breaking news!!! Hold the presses.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

My wife's still using iPhone 4 with iOS 6. When I told her I'll buy her a new iPhone 6 she said "No!". She thinks the phone is as perfect as it is.

Of course I'll buy her anyway. :D 

• Reply 9 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Oh, ya gotta renew your lease, do ya?

• Reply 10 of 20
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

That's because we're smarter than Americans. 8-)

• Reply 11 of 20
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    They are more accocustomed to skinny antiseptic fonts/icons? Vedy British.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    richl wrote: »
    Then why isn't Apple a UK company?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Better informed perhaps.

But to be able to ignore all the BBC and Guardians’ antiApple tirades, you deserve a friendly pat on the shoulder.

• Reply 14 of 20
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

But it has employees from all over the world.

And most (?) USA citizens descend from UK’s immigrants, no?

• Reply 15 of 20
    sprybrysprybry Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

My wife's still using iPhone 4 with iOS 6. When I told her I'll buy her a new iPhone 6 she said "No!". She thinks the phone is as perfect as it is.

Ha, yeah my wife thought her Razor flip phone she  had would never need to be replaced, she loved it.  I surprised her with an iPhone 4 for Christmas 3 1/2 years ago.  I can hardly pry the thing from her hands at times.  We will both be upgrading to the next gen iPhone when that comes out.  But for now, I am content with my iPhone 4 running IOS 7.

• Reply 16 of 20
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I remember buying my wife's first iPhone, it was a 3G. At the time she couldn't understand how anyone would want to text when they could just call the person or read email when she had a perfectly good desktop computer, etc.. Within a month you couldn't get it out of her hands. She would still be using it except I upgraded to the 5S and handed down my 4S. I have even caught her using Siri (something she felt was totally unnecessary) to get the baseball scores.

• Reply 17 of 20
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Off Topic, but everyone here needs to read this article by John Gruber of Daring Fireball:

http://daringfireball.net/2014/06/only_apple
  • Reply 18 of 20
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

Because I was joking?

• Reply 19 of 20
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Off Topic, but everyone here needs to read this article by John Gruber of Daring Fireball:

http://daringfireball.net/2014/06/only_apple

Excellent article.

• Reply 20 of 20
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sprybry wrote: »

Ha, yeah my wife thought her Razor flip phone she  had would never need to be replaced, she loved it.  I surprised her with an iPhone 4 for Christmas 3 1/2 years ago.  I can hardly pry the thing from her hands at times.  We will both be upgrading to the next gen iPhone when that comes out.  But for now, I am content with my iPhone 4 running IOS 7.

Ahhhh when Motorola was Motorola. My StarTac refused to die.