New York Times seeks to profile Tim Cook after getting shut out by Apple

Comments

• Reply 61 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    No, but I'll post the one that haters get upset about. The A7 processor - the worlds most advanced mobile ARM processor that's so far ahead of Samsung and Qualcomm that even one year later they're still behind. Even ARM's own high-end 64bit processor (the A57) is inferior to the A7, and it's not even shipping yet.

NOBODY in mobile is even close to Apple in processor design.
    Have the consumers actually seen the benefit of this yet (besides Touch ID, assuming 64-bit is required for that)? Are their things my iPad can do that it couldn't if it wasn't 64-bit? Unfortunately at the iPad event last year Apple didn't really explain the advantages of 64-bit. Maybe this year is when we'll really see the benefits. Right now, I wish 64-bit could keep Safari tabs from reloading all the time. :)
  • Reply 62 of 139
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    I guess the crap coming from the NYT in some ways fits their Yellow Peril version of a reborn Cold war. They lump every Asian manufacturer from India to Japan into their hate and fear China campaign. So, even though Apple isn't the heaviest investor in Chinese industry by any stretch of the imagination - they are one of the best known. Courtesy, I guess, of hacks like Richtel and Chen.

Not certain how they expect to benefit over the next few years of decline they're locked into - but, desperate managers generally rely on what they know how to do - even when it hasn't worked before.
  • Reply 63 of 139

Here's a far more accurate title for the NYT story:

New York Times does hatchet job on Tim Cook after getting shut out by Apple

• Reply 64 of 139
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I have to agree, that the NYT article on Tim Cook's stewardship of Apple, was terrible. Basically, the authors did not appreciate how significant WWDC 2014 really was, in terms of software development: especially the iOS and OS X extensions newly available to third-party developers, the new 'Continuity' features, and not even a mention of the new system language called Swift.

Instead, the authors fell back on commentators of dubious technical experience, such as financial analysts, who mostly just don't get that technical innovation is mostly evolutionary, and much more rarely of 'paradigm shift' importance. No one can call up technical improvements on a regular schedule; it is inherently an uneven set of improvements over time.

John Gruber recently made a point, which I paraphrase here…that Tim Cook has, in fact, improved Apple, by enhancing collaboration between Apple's internal groups…with the removal of fiefdoms (including Scott Forestall's iOS fiefdom). WWDC 2014 reflects well this new level of collaboration, and the CEO deserves to be credited for it.

yes Gruber filed a very thoughtful post - "Only Apple" - about Cook and Apple on Friday:

http://daringfireball.net/2014/06/only_apple

his post is an infinitely better analysis of both than the drivel from the NYT hacks.

the real question is what has happened at the NYT. did it all begin with the hack "stenographic reporting" by Judy Miller a decade ago that very much helped launch a totally bogus war that cost Trillion$ and a hundred thousand innocent lives?

Arthur Sulzberger Jr. has been the NYT Publisher since 1992. maybe the fish rots at the head.

• Reply 65 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Unfortunately at the iPad event last year Apple didn't really explain the advantages of 64-bit.

:no:
  • Reply 66 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

No, but I'll post the one that haters get upset about. The A7 processor - the worlds most advanced mobile ARM processor that's so far ahead of Samsung and Qualcomm that even one year later they're still behind. Even ARM's own high-end 64bit processor (the A57) is inferior to the A7, and it's not even shipping yet.

Have the consumers actually seen the benefit of this yet (besides Touch ID, assuming 64-bit is required for that)? Are their things my iPad can do that it couldn't if it wasn't 64-bit? Unfortunately at the iPad event last year Apple didn't really explain the advantages of 64-bit. Maybe this year is when we'll really see the benefits. Right now, I wish 64-bit could keep Safari tabs from reloading all the time. image

No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do. But after iPhone 6 or 6s is released, the vast bulk of Apple iPhones will be running 64-bit processors, and then anything released that will need the 64-bit processor will run on it. This way Apple will not be accused of orphaning users, and developers will have an installed based to write for. This solves the age old chicken and egg problem with regards to platforms vs developers.

• Reply 67 of 139
    No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do.

That's not even remotely accurate. There are massive changes in HW and performance between the iPhone 5 and 5S.
  • Reply 68 of 139
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What a lazy, deceitful, superficial article published by a rag publication that's circling down the drain. Tim has proven the skeptics, haters, and liars wrong time and time again- and he'll continue to do so. 

• Reply 69 of 139
    Quote:

Have the consumers actually seen the benefit of this yet (besides Touch ID, assuming 64-bit is required for that)? Are their things my iPad can do that it couldn't if it wasn't 64-bit? Unfortunately at the iPad event last year Apple didn't really explain the advantages of 64-bit. Maybe this year is when we'll really see the benefits. Right now, I wish 64-bit could keep Safari tabs from reloading all the time. image

Yes there are. Not a huge number, but there are 64bit Apps that can perform functions any A6 or earlier processor equipped device cannot. And that doesn't change the fact the A7 is the fastest, most advanced ARM processor out there.

Of course it will take time to move to 64bit, but Apple will do this in record time (compared to Windows and even Mac OS). This fall Apple will likely no longer sell any 32bit devices (except perhaps in emerging markets) and developers will start releasing 64bit only Apps (as opposed to combined 32/64bit Apps that will run on either type of device). By fall 2015 (a time span of only 2 years since the A7 came out) Apple will be completely 64bit. All new Apps will be 64bit and the only 32bit Apps left will be the ones Apple allows to remain to support older devices (meaning Apple will allow updates to existing Apps, but will no longer accept NEW Apps that are 32bit).

I'll post this again since it's still relevant:

Apple's A7 completely destroys both Samsung and Qualcomm processor cores. The ONLY reason Samsung and Qualcomm processor perform similarly to an A7 is because they are clocked far higher and they have twice the cores.

Really quite pathetic how far behind they are compared to Apple.

• Reply 70 of 139

Remember after the PA Semi purchase certain people said it was laughable for Apple to think they make a better chip.
  • Reply 71 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Remember after the PA Semi purchase certain people said it was laughable for Apple to think they make a better chip.

Don't forget Intrinsity for chip design, Anobit for flash controllers and Passif for low power semiconductors.

I don't think any of them are laughing now. They're just lucky Apple doesn't sell their processors to other OEM's. Which reminds me of a strange dream I had the other day that Apple signed a deal with Microsoft to use A Series processors in their Windows Phones.

• Reply 72 of 139
    Which reminds me of a strange dream I had the other day that Apple signed a deal with Microsoft to use A Series processors in their Windows Phones.

Strategically that could be a great move. Apple can make more money off their chip IP while lowering per chip cost for their iDevices, which may help WinPh gain additional ground at the expense of Android.
  • Reply 73 of 139
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Strategically that could be a great move. Apple can make more money off their chip IP while lowering per chip cost for their iDevices, which may help WinPh gain additional ground at the expense of Android.

Interesting idea.  Can't see it ever happening with all the history between these two companies..

• Reply 74 of 139
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Right now, I wish 64-bit could keep Safari tabs from reloading all the time. image

I believe that's a RAM issue...

• Reply 75 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Jeez... blah, blah, blah

I notice you didn't answer my earlier question regarding the 64bit A7 and all the software that works with it.

So apart from Apple where can I buy a functioning phone with a 64bit processor and OS?

• Reply 76 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Of course I hold Apple to a higher standard lol. But tell me, what have they done since the ipad? Sure they can coast that ride for a while but why? 

If someone could have watched WWDC 2014 and then concluded that Apple has been "coasting", I don't know what to say.

Also, your statement of they should "get their hands on everything physical in the world and do it right" encapsulated your mind-numbing ignorance of what it takes to "get something right"- which is time, and focus. 

There has been hundreds of innovations at Apple since the days of SJ, in both hardware and software, many of which Apple's competitors are not even close to touching. It's extremely sad that you choose to be too blind to see that, and instead define progress by your misguided idea of "expanding" senselessly and as quickly as possible into random markets- and nothing else counts, hence your "what have they done?" drivel. If there ever was a route to doom, that would be it. 

• Reply 77 of 139
    Quote:

Yes there are. Not a huge number, but there are 64bit Apps that can perform functions any A6 or earlier processor equipped device cannot. And that doesn't change the fact the A7 is the fastest, most advanced ARM processor out there.

Of course it will take time to move to 64bit, but Apple will do this in record time (compared to Windows and even Mac OS). This fall Apple will likely no longer sell any 32bit devices (except perhaps in emerging markets) and developers will start releasing 64bit only Apps (as opposed to combined 32/64bit Apps that will run on either type of device). By fall 2015 (a time span of only 2 years since the A7 came out) Apple will be completely 64bit. All new Apps will be 64bit and the only 32bit Apps left will be the ones Apple allows to remain to support older devices (meaning Apple will allow updates to existing Apps, but will no longer accept NEW Apps that are 32bit).

I'll post this again since it's still relevant:

Apple's A7 completely destroys both Samsung and Qualcomm processor cores. The ONLY reason Samsung and Qualcomm processor perform similarly to an A7 is because they are clocked far higher and they have twice the cores.

And now consider the fact that we'll have the A8 in a couple months, which will smoke the A7 out of the water. Apple's skill with CPU architecture seems to be increasing at an exponential rate with each revision, something that should be downright terrifying for everyone else. Nevermind Touch ID, another critical component that noone else seems close to matching in terms of reliability and ease of use. 

• Reply 78 of 139
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    The New York Times has "reporters" who are creating clearly false and skewed articles about Apple.

I think the New York Times needs to shore up its ethics and fire these "reporters".
  • Reply 79 of 139
    Quote:

Quote:

No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do. But after iPhone 6 or 6s is released, the vast bulk of Apple iPhones will be running 64-bit processors, and then anything released that will need the 64-bit processor will run on it. This way Apple will not be accused of orphaning users, and developers will have an installed based to write for. This solves the age old chicken and egg problem with regards to platforms vs developers.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

That's not even remotely accurate. There are massive changes in HW and performance between the iPhone 5 and 5S.

Pray tell me what app an iPhone5 cannot run that iPhone 5s can run? Hmm??

• Reply 80 of 139
    rogifan wrote: »

Have the consumers actually seen the benefit of this yet (besides Touch ID, assuming 64-bit is required for that)? Are their things my iPad can do that it couldn't if it wasn't 64-bit? Unfortunately at the iPad event last year Apple didn't really explain the advantages of 64-bit. Maybe this year is when we'll really see the benefits. Right now, I wish 64-bit could keep Safari tabs from reloading all the time. :)
    solipsismx wrote: »

Pray tell me what app an iPhone5 cannot run that iPhone 5s can run? Hmm??

The iPhone 5 doesn't have Touch ID. That means that not only do you lose that convenience, but that when all the new apps that enable it in the coming year arrive, you won't be able to either. I'd say that's a big deal and a compelling reason to buy the iPhone 5s or 6.