New York Times seeks to profile Tim Cook after getting shut out by Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 139
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do. 

Not as fast.

• Reply 82 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

No, but I'll post the one that haters get upset about. The A7 processor - the worlds most advanced mobile ARM processor that's so far ahead of Samsung and Qualcomm that even one year later they're still behind. Even ARM's own high-end 64bit processor (the A57) is inferior to the A7, and it's not even shipping yet.

NOBODY in mobile is even close to Apple in processor design.

Have the consumers actually seen the benefit of this yet (besides Touch ID, assuming 64-bit is required for that)? Are their things my iPad can do that it couldn't if it wasn't 64-bit? Unfortunately at the iPad event last year Apple didn't really explain the advantages of 64-bit. Maybe this year is when we'll really see the benefits. Right now, I wish 64-bit could keep Safari tabs from reloading all the time. image

No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do. But after iPhone 6 or 6s is released, the vast bulk of Apple iPhones will be running 64-bit processors, and then anything released that will need the 64-bit processor will run on it. This way Apple will not be accused of orphaning users, and developers will have an installed based to write for. This solves the age old chicken and egg problem with regards to platforms vs developers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do.

That's not even remotely accurate. There are massive changes in HW and performance between the iPhone 5 and 5S.

Pray tell me what app an iPhone5 cannot run that iPhone 5s can run? Hmm??

The iPhone 5 doesn't have Touch ID. That means that not only do you lose that convenience, but that when all the new apps that enable it in the coming year arrive, you won't be able to either. I'd say that's a big deal and a compelling reason to buy the iPhone 5s or 6.

Well, of course, but presently, as I stated, the two phones are equal in what they can do. As someone pointed out, "but not as fast," however the topic wasn't performance, but capability.

• Reply 83 of 139

Actually, the topic was benefit/advantage.  Speed is a benefit/advantage.

• Reply 84 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

There should be a fair few. The A6 is no A7, after all.

• Reply 85 of 139
    I can think of some: Nike+ Move, Breeze, basically any fitness apps that require the M7.
  • Reply 86 of 139
    Wasn't there a new leak from NYT's newsroom about something to do with declining pageviews, traffic and readership? This article is explainable only in that light.
  • Reply 87 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There should be a fair few. The A6 is no A7, after all.

Doubtful than there are many apps that are A7-only, developers won't want to limit their market unnecessarily.  The A6 is no slouch, and should be able to handle the current breed of apps; the A7 will just be faster.  If you know of any specific examples of A7-only apps, that'd be interesting to know.

I suppose there might be a few apps that need the M7, but that's a different thing.

• Reply 88 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    freediverx wrote: »
    I believe that's a RAM issue...
    I know I was being facetious.
  • Reply 89 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    :no:
    They did? What did they say? What app(s) did they show off that were specifically taking advantage of A7 chip? At the iPhone event they showed off infinity blade but the iPad event Phil pretty much just read specs off a slide.
  • Reply 90 of 139
    Mr. Dilger, I wonder if another one of your well researched articles could be on what motivates the NYT' editorial staff to constantly write hit pieces on Apple? Is it Samsung's ad budget? Is it a personal grudge, besides Chen's, of course. There's something going on there that supersedes their journalistic integrity.
  • Reply 91 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Chen [B]even[/B] more famously skewered Apple for [B]even[/B]..."

Oh, boy... I'm done.
  • Reply 92 of 139
    fithianfithian Posts: 82member
    Looks like it is time to cancel my subscription to the NYT. I have received the Sunday Times at my door and the digital version for the past 10 years. Obviously, something is wrong there. Lately,there have been some editorial statements that have been from our of right field. Sorry to see it go, but when it is no longer relevant, that is the only solution.
  • Reply 93 of 139
    "Chen even more famously skewered Apple for even..."

Oh, boy... I'm done.

You're even more done, even. :lol:
  • Reply 94 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    You're even more done, even. :lol:

I got out early to preserve my sanity. ????
  • Reply 95 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

You said can't do everything which includes the app's performance which includes both raw HW performance for a given power draw and performance gained by the new ISA. The latter being specifically tied to the AArch64. If performance isn't a factor then you're argument is as bad as saying the original iPhone and iPhone 5S both have the same cameras since they both can take photos of the same things since you're argument disregards how well they take those photos.
  • Reply 96 of 139
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do. But after iPhone 6 or 6s is released, the vast bulk of Apple iPhones will be running 64-bit processors, and then anything released that will need the 64-bit processor will run on it. This way Apple will not be accused of orphaning users, and developers will have an installed based to write for. This solves the age old chicken and egg problem with regards to platforms vs developers.

Prime example is the native Camera App on the iPhone 5 is not the same as the one on iPhones 5S.  I know, because I miss some of the features with my iP5. 

From Apple's website: 

"The faster, more powerful A7 chip in iPhone 5s includes a new image signal processor (ISP). Because it’s designed by Apple, the ISP is integrated with the iSight hardware and camera software, delivering faster photo capture and up to 2x faster autofocus.  The ISP and faster sensor also make burst mode possible, which is great when your subject is in motion. Burst mode continuously captures 10 photos per second, letting you take hundreds of images so you don’t miss a moment. Intelligent software algorithms work behind the scenes to analyze all the shots in real time, comparing sharpness and clarity and even detecting when someone’s eyes are closed. Then iPhone suggests individual photos or a sequence of photos that you might like best."

and

Slow-motion video.

When you watch a video in slow motion, it feels infinitely more exciting. Whether it’s a snowboarder landing a jump or a dog chasing its tail, slow-motion video cranks up the drama and, sometimes, the humor. The slo-mo feature on iPhone 5s lets you capture video at 120 frames per second in 720p. When you’re done, select the portion you want to slow down, and that clip plays back at quarter speed. You can change which part is in slow motion anytime, and even share it with your friends.

And that's just one App. 

• Reply 97 of 139
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    Edit: was supposed to be a reply to SuddenlyNewton

Of course I hold Apple to a higher standard lol. But tell me, what have they done since the ipad? Sure they can coast that ride for a while but why? They have the ability to expand out but they're not doing it- why not? And if you want to compare Apple to Google as far as innovation, you might wanna read up on some of their projects like driverless cars and asteroid mining.
    Listen, all I'm saying is that Apple isn't the Willy Wonka of the tech world anymore. They're now the new Ford- they started the car game and released the Mustang and that's been pretty much it since. Is that what you want from Apple? I sure as hell don't. I want them to get their hands into just about everything physical in the world and do it right. It's a shame you guys don't feel that way, instead you wanna keep making excuses for them.

Google gets credit for half-assed, unfinished research projects that impress geeks, but does it actually make a dent in the universe? Do you see their competitors changing after them over self driving cars? Google glass? Asteroid mining? Jet packs? Are you kidding? On the one hand, you cite examples as iPhone and iPad as great achievements, but why? iPad is just a "giant iPod Touch" remember? Or did you forget how doomed everyone thought the giant iPod Touch was going to be back in 2010? I know why: because the iPad made a dent in the universe: suddenly, Microsoft was back in the tablet game and Windows tablet PC got a new "touch friendly" UI. Even Google and their hardware partners were caught off guard. Not by the prospect of an Apple tablet--that was rumored for months. It was the success of the first iPad. Success means it made a dent in the universe. Success meant it got copied by Apple's competitors,
    Many of whom were skeptical of Apple's chances because the common wisdom before iPad was "nobody buys tablets." Self-driving cars and asteroid mining aren't doing that. But please, continue to tell us how much you and other obvious Google fans on this site hold Google to one standard (geek-pleasing, non-denting-of-universe beta projects) and Apple to an "higher standard" (must dent the universe to else Apple is doomed). You're just proving my point.

You claim you want Apple to chase after every rabbit hole (like Google does apparently). Fine. Get Tim Cook to hire you as VP. I hear he's looking for qualified leaders. Posting here won't change anything.
  • Reply 98 of 139
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    I don't know how you read into what I said that would make you think that I agreed with pundits over whether the ipad would be successful. Almost everything they've done (besides Ping and iCloud) has raised standards. Why do justify them slowing the train down for more products then?
  • Reply 99 of 139

Why are you trying to turn this into an "all or nothing" affair?

It's not whether an App is available or not, it's what features get unlocked on an A7 equipped device that aren't available when running the same App on earlier devices.

For example, djay 2 (who were the first to leverage 64bit code) can only do key detection and real time beat matching on a 5S. Of course the App runs on older devices, but they don't get these very useful features. Procreate is another one that runs on multiple devices, but has 64bit code to take advantage of the processing power of the A7. There are others I've heard about, but these are two that I actually use and am familiar with.
  • Reply 100 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And now consider the fact that we'll have the A8 in a couple months, which will smoke the A7 out of the water. Apple's skill with CPU architecture seems to be increasing at an exponential rate with each revision, something that should be downright terrifying for everyone else. Nevermind Touch ID, another critical component that noone else seems close to matching in terms of reliability and ease of use. 

There's one possible downside to the A8. The A7 is so damn good, that Apple could just make the A7 on a new process (20-22nm) which would offer an easy boost in performance through a clock speed bump and a reduction in power consumption. That coupled with Metal and other goodies in iOS 8 would still keep Apple ahead for one more year. Then drop the hammer with the A9 next year.

I'm hoping Apple continues their cycle of a new A Series processor (A8) that again doubles performance over last year's processor, but this time around we might not get it.