New York Times seeks to profile Tim Cook after getting shut out by Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

There's one possible downside to the A8. The A7 is so damn good, that Apple could just make the A7 on a new process (20-22nm) which would offer an easy boost in performance through a clock speed bump and a reduction in power consumption. That coupled with Metal and other goodies in iOS 8 would still keep Apple ahead for one more year. Then drop the hammer with the A9 next year.

I'm hoping Apple continues their cycle of a new A Series processor (A8) that again doubles performance over last year's processor, but this time around we might not get it.

A8 will probably just be four Swift cores on the die instead of two. Then the Googlebots won't be able to cry about "LOLz W3 HAZ QUAD COR3!"

Articles like me both make me laugh, and, as a shareholder, irritate me. The manipulation that has been going on for the last few years is tiring.

• Reply 102 of 139
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

There's one possible downside to the A8. The A7 is so damn good, that Apple could just make the A7 on a new process (20-22nm) which would offer an easy boost in performance through a clock speed bump and a reduction in power consumption. That coupled with Metal and other goodies in iOS 8 would still keep Apple ahead for one more year. Then drop the hammer with the A9 next year.

I'm hoping Apple continues their cycle of a new A Series processor (A8) that again doubles performance over last year's processor, but this time around we might not get it.

I agree, demanding 100% improvement every single year doesn't sound like a sustainable strategy; Tick-Tock works pretty well for Intel.

• Reply 103 of 139
    The Grey Lady has been a fraud since its Moscow correspondent Walter Duranty lied to cover up Stalin's mass starvation of the Ukrainians back in the 1930s. Never trust a word it says and certainly don't pay for it.
  • Reply 104 of 139
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    The New York Times has "reporters" who are creating clearly false and skewed articles about Apple.

I think the New York Times needs to shore up its ethics and fire these "reporters".

Assuming the Times itself still has an interest in ethics. This pair of "reporters" really crossed a line in credibility, as if they didn't care to cover their tracks. Here's what commenter pontavignon said on Philip Elmer-DeWitt's blog:
    "Bare weeks after a WWDC that definitively sent the Haunted Empire theme back to its crypt, the New York Times in the person of Richtel and Chen try, and fail, to reanimate the zombie.

What sad journalism, perhaps epitomized by its dismissal of WWDC as an event where Apple released a software development kit."

That stuck out in the Times story for me as well. It's as if the reporters are preying on the ignorance of their average readers about the WWDC. Shameless. So much so that one suspects that the Times is trying to pressure Apple over some online business detail, "Amazon vs, Hachette" style.
  • Reply 105 of 139
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Edit: was supposed to be a reply to SuddenlyNewton

Of course I hold Apple to a higher standard lol. But tell me, what have they done since the ipad? Sure they can coast that ride for a while but why? They have the ability to expand out but they're not doing it- why not? And if you want to compare Apple to Google as far as innovation, you might wanna read up on some of their projects like driverless cars and asteroid mining.

Listen, all I'm saying is that Apple isn't the Willy Wonka of the tech world anymore. They're now the new Ford- they started the car game and released the Mustang and that's been pretty much it since. Is that what you want from Apple? I sure as hell don't. I want them to get their hands into just about everything physical in the world and do it right. It's a shame you guys don't feel that way, instead you wanna keep making excuses for them.

If you mention driverless cars and asteroid mining, you're forgetting an important detail. Neither of those are anywhere near close to being in the hands of a customer. Google has great ideas. Driverless cars, jetpacks, and asteroid mining are examples of that. But an idea is worthless unless Google can capitalize on it. That's what matters in business and that's not Google's strong suit.

And you say Apple isn't the "Willy Wonka" of the tech world. First of all, how do you know that Apple isn't trying at least some of the things Google publicly talks about? It's no secret that Apple is very secretive. Why are you totally discounting the possibility that the only reason we know about driverless cars and asteroid mining is that Google is so public about it?

Also, being the "Willy Wonka of the tech world" is worthless if it's not generating cash. That's what matters in business. You wanting Apple to get their hands into just about everything physical in the world sounds great but it's just not a smart business decision. Apple got to where they are today by being laser-focused on what matters. Going into everything just because they can is disastrous thinking.

• Reply 106 of 139
    chandrachandra Posts: 26member
    If the quality of reporting on Apple reflects the quality of journalism practiced by NYT, they have no credibility.
  • Reply 107 of 139
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    Matt Richtel and Brian X. Chen graduated from the School of Michael Dell.
  • Reply 108 of 139
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member

I could imagine part of their snit has to do with the WSJ eating their lunch in terms of tech reporting.  

Well, except for Kara.  Compared to Walt, it's like watching a SNL parody of a tech reporter.  

• Reply 109 of 139
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    globalpix wrote: »
    The Grey Lady has been a fraud since its Moscow correspondent Walter Duranty lied to cover up Stalin's mass starvation of the Ukrainians back in the 1930s. Never trust a word it says and certainly don't pay for it.

Interesting story I just skimmed through about that era, thanks.

So now we have the Duranty Prize for Mendacity in reporting. No use nominating Chen and Richtel just for the shaming value, because it's supposed to be about foreign affairs.

Maybe we could nominate them for a Pullet Surprise. Winners receive a rubber chicken, mounted on a simulated mahogany plaque.
  • Reply 110 of 139
    Regarding the flavor of "reporting" on Apple by the Times, I am reminded of the prediction by Philip Elmer-Dewitt that the Times was angling for a Pullitzer in the way their series on Apple's factory-labor issues were being "covered" in China a couple of years ago. Apparently, PED understands the way the Pullitzer committee "judges" the merits of the various newspapers' orchestrated coverages in their Committee considerations. First, the series of reports explains the dramatic, graphic issues (e.g. Exploited slave labor practices reducing manufacturing costs). Then the Companies (Apple and Foxconn) make changes (increased pay and benefits). So the perception is that the "reporting" of the favorable changes in this huge American Company were the direct result of the Times' battery of reporters illuminating the issues and affecting real global change. Then the newspaper writes about the more favorable labor conditions that were instituted due to this global attention. Hence this merits a Pullitzer. This worked out for the NYTimes and PED of Fortune predicted all of this long before the Prize was actually awarded. His readers knew exactly what the Times was "up to".
  • Reply 111 of 139
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Why do justify them slowing the train down for more products then?

They're not "slowing the train down". That's something you've pulled out of your ass, and then asking people to "justify". You're not stating a fact. You're stating a false, ignorant opinion, so it's not anyone's job to justify it. In the past couple years Apple has expanded its product line pretty significantly, in a way it hasnt done under SJ, providing more options and targetting more demographics. There are now FOUR SKUs of iPads instead of 1, and 2 separate lines of iPhones that look to be expanding again soon. The fact that they haven't introduced a product in a new category is not evidence of them "slowing down". You have no fucking idea whats going on behind the scenes, and everything hints at them working harder than ever on the next new market changing product. They don't need to apologize for not releasing whatever it is on your imagined schedule. The iPad was basically a larger screen and a slightly modified OS- a natural progression from what they achieved with the iPhone. The next product is not as obvious, and its not a leap to understand that it is taking more R&D and engineering than the iPad ever did, not to mention ensuring its existence is justified and giving enough reasons for people to buy it in the current marketplace. The worst thing Apple can ever do it its image is release a failure of a product. You dont seem to have the insight to understand that setting up the proper conditions for success is not trivial- Apple has the perspective to understand that success is not guaranteed, unlike you.

Also, if the next product isnt the best thing since sliced bread, I imagine you and people like you (WHERE IS THE NEXT BIG THING???!!) will be the first to shit on it and proclaim how Apple has lost it. Hypocrisy, pettiness, and childishness at its worst. 

• Reply 112 of 139
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    Edit: was supposed to be a reply to SuddenlyNewton

Of course I hold Apple to a higher standard lol. But tell me, what have they done since the ipad? Sure they can coast that ride for a while but why? They have the ability to expand out but they're not doing it- why not? And if you want to compare Apple to Google as far as innovation, you might wanna read up on some of their projects like driverless cars and asteroid mining.
    Listen, all I'm saying is that Apple isn't the Willy Wonka of the tech world anymore. They're now the new Ford- they started the car game and released the Mustang and that's been pretty much it since. Is that what you want from Apple? I sure as hell don't. I want them to get their hands into just about everything physical in the world and do it right. It's a shame you guys don't feel that way, instead you wanna keep making excuses for them.

You still pushing this tripe? Apple has perhaps dozens of secret projects they are working and won't announce anything until it's ready for prime time. Google announces shit purely for PR and no where near consumer ready, if ever.
  • Reply 113 of 139
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

So I take it that Judith Miller wasn't available?

• Reply 114 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

No, but I'll post the one that haters get upset about. The A7 processor - the worlds most advanced mobile ARM processor that's so far ahead of Samsung and Qualcomm that even one year later they're still behind. Even ARM's own high-end 64bit processor (the A57) is inferior to the A7, and it's not even shipping yet.

NOBODY in mobile is even close to Apple in processor design.

Have the consumers actually seen the benefit of this yet (besides Touch ID, assuming 64-bit is required for that)? Are their things my iPad can do that it couldn't if it wasn't 64-bit? Unfortunately at the iPad event last year Apple didn't really explain the advantages of 64-bit. Maybe this year is when we'll really see the benefits. Right now, I wish 64-bit could keep Safari tabs from reloading all the time. image

No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do. But after iPhone 6 or 6s is released, the vast bulk of Apple iPhones will be running 64-bit processors, and then anything released that will need the 64-bit processor will run on it. This way Apple will not be accused of orphaning users, and developers will have an installed based to write for. This solves the age old chicken and egg problem with regards to platforms vs developers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

No, an iPhone 5 can do everything a 5S can do.

That's not even remotely accurate. There are massive changes in HW and performance between the iPhone 5 and 5S.

Pray tell me what app an iPhone5 cannot run that iPhone 5s can run? Hmm??

The iPhone 5 doesn't have Touch ID. That means that not only do you lose that convenience, but that when all the new apps that enable it in the coming year arrive, you won't be able to either. I'd say that's a big deal and a compelling reason to buy the iPhone 5s or 6.

Well, of course, but presently, as I stated, the two phones are equal in what they can do. As someone pointed out, "but not as fast," however the topic wasn't performance, but capability.

Now I come to think of it, I have two apps that need the M7 to track footsteps: Pacer and Walkmeter.

• Reply 115 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dsd wrote: »
    So I take it that Judith Miller wasn't available?

Maybe she took a job with Engadget.
  • Reply 116 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Chen even more famously skewered Apple for even..."

Oh, boy... I'm done.

You're even more done, even. image

Some people do get annoyed by bad gramma. Even so, I imagine that SpamS will be even more annoyed come eventide. ????

• Reply 117 of 139
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    I don't know how you read into what I said that would make you think that I agreed with pundits over whether the ipad would be successful.

I didn't think that you did.

You're still holding Apple to the standard of "next big thing or doom" while holding everyone else to a lesser "it never caught on but it impressed the geeks, and you tried so we still adore you anyway" standard.
  • Reply 118 of 139
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member

"you might wanna read up on some of their projects like driverless cars and asteroid mining"

Yeah, because that's where personal tech is going, and Apple needs to emulate them.  

Google is in this way a bit like a lottery winner.  They are going to buy that marble fountain to put out in front of their six-room prefab ranch.  Yes, it's impressive, but it's still a bit of a head-shake.  They want to be Elon Musk.  They just don't have the vision, they don't know how to monetize these Very Big Ideas and they tend to think out loud.  

99% of what Google is doing now is search, ads, storage, storage-called-cloud-because-people-think-that's-more-important-than-just-saying-storage, an Office clone, weblogs, shopping, music, mail, cal, maps, books, app store, photos, and a desktop and mobile OS.  

So, purty much Apple, just a different name on the treehouse and other kids to play with.  

• Reply 119 of 139
    Some people do get annoyed by bad gramma. Even so, I imagine that SpamS will be even more annoyed come eventide. ????

Bad gramma? Sounds like the sequel to Bad Grandpa ;)
  • Reply 120 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jpellino wrote: »
    "you might wanna read up on some of their projects like driverless cars and asteroid mining"

Yeah, because that's where personal tech is going, and Apple needs to emulate them.  

Google is in this way a bit like a lottery winner.  They are going to buy that marble fountain to put out in front of their six-room prefab ranch.  Yes, it's impressive, but it's still a bit of a head-shake.  They want to be Elon Musk.  They just don't have the vision, they don't know how to monetize these Very Big Ideas and they tend to think out loud.  

99% of what Google is doing now is search, ads, storage, storage-called-cloud-because-people-think-that's-more-important-than-just-saying-storage, an Office clone, weblogs, shopping, music, mail, cal, maps, books, app store, photos, and a desktop and mobile OS.  

So, purty much Apple, just a different name on the treehouse and other kids to play with.  

The only "moonshot" project Google is working on that makes sense to me is Google Fiber.