Google to launch Apple HealthKit competitor for Android at I/O conference - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    Quote:
    <div class="quote-block" style="border:1px solid rgb(217,218,216);color:rgb(0,0,0);padding:10px;">Originally Posted by genovelle go_quote.gif

There have been several large wide dispersed exploits that Google didn't know was on their store for almost a year.</div>

<div style="clear:both;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </div>

We don't install ridiculous apps, nor follow ridiculous links from ridiculous sources. It's pretty straightforward.
    How about 3rd party keyboards? You sound like about 5% of android users. Google even says that android is not built for security.
    http://www.networkworld.com/article/2226431/wireless/google-android-chief-sundar-pichai-says-android-not-designed-to-be-safe.html

They know it's nowhere near as safe as iPhone and it's not to their advantage to be. Spammers and scammers pay for a lot of ads.
  • Reply 82 of 93
    relic wrote: »
    I do, have a malware detection app that only runs when something is downloaded or installed. I have never had a malware on any of my devices, though I only install apps from reputable sources and directly from the Google Play Store. There might have been a problem in the past but Android 4.3.3 is as secure as iOS, that is, if you don't side load pirated apps, even then though, both the Play Store and malware detector will still run a check. Androids security concerns have been grossly exaggerated on this forum.
    Not according to their networking chief just a few months ago. http://www.networkworld.com/article/2226431/wireless/google-android-chief-sundar-pichai-says-android-not-designed-to-be-safe.html
  • Reply 83 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    genovelle wrote: »

You apparently were so focused on wanting to believe the inital story that you may not have had any interest in the followup report noting that he said no such thing. The first report was erroneously translated. The real story based on actual event transcripts is here:
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/27/no-googles-sundar-pichai-didnt-say-androids-openness-makes-it-less-insecure/
  • Reply 84 of 93
    Quote:
    <div class="quote-block" style="border:1px solid rgb(217,218,216);color:rgb(0,0,0);padding:10px;">Originally Posted by genovelle go_quote.gif

There have been several large wide dispersed exploits that Google didn't know was on their store for almost a year.</div>

<div style="clear:both;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </div>

We don't install ridiculous apps, nor follow ridiculous links from ridiculous sources. It's pretty straightforward.
    Also, clear your searches to get a true search record. Even though there are hundred of articles on android malware because it is prevalent and almost none on iPhone, it's hard to find any unless you search for it specifically, but type iPhone and it came up first. Just like there was no mention of Google's stock being down over 10% the first of half of the year and missing targets while Apple is trashed for record sales and a rising share price over the same period.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    Also, clear your searches to get a true search record. Even though there are hundred of articles on android malware because it is prevalent and almost none on iPhone, it's hard to find any unless you search for it specifically, but type iPhone and it came up first. Just like there was no mention of Google's stock being down over 10% the first of half of the year and missing targets while Apple is trashed for record sales and a rising share price over the same period.

Just because you can find malware and Android mentioned in the same sentence doesn't prove it's high risk to Android users who like iOS users stay within the official app store (Google Play). Heck a search for "abducted by aliens" gets over 19M hits. Are you worrying about them aliens grabbin' you from your bed tonight? Think it's a serious threat?

Malware is a waaay overblown issue IMHO. Ever wonder why articles always seem to refer to "malware targeting Android" but almost never having real user numbers attached to them, or when they do guessing it might be x-millions or billions? That's because targeting and hitting are not one and the same. Claiming malware is "prevalent" on Google's Android is simply FUD-raking scare tactics.
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-security/23335/why-you-should-stay-google-play-app-store
    http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~traynor/papers/lever-ndss13.pdf
  • Reply 86 of 93
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Hundreds of articles is meaningless. "Articles" are copied around to get views, and more inflammatory subject matter also gets more views. Show me some stats on how prevalent Android malware is. Everyone was quick to downplay the iPhone hostages a few weeks ago, and I did as well -- not widespread, and was the result of poor user decisions along with malicious attacks. Hardly a story there.

I just tried IE in a spanking-new VM install of Windows 7: suggested result of "android malware" when I got to the 'l'

• Reply 87 of 93
    Hundreds of articles is meaningless. "Articles" are copied around to get views, and more inflammatory subject matter also gets more views. Show me some stats on how prevalent Android malware is. Everyone was quick to downplay the iPhone hostages a few weeks ago, and I did as well -- not widespread, and was the result of poor user decisions along with malicious attacks. Hardly a story there.

I just tried IE in a spanking-new VM install of Windows 7: suggested result of "android malware" when I got to the 'l'
    You clearly don't understand your favorite company. Google knows who you are you have to clear your google searches on Google.com. I was actually on their web page. After typing it out once it remember. Not my computer but Google so unless you also changed the router and IP address. Remember your VM is still using your host to access the internet. Somewhere in the search page is the button to reset the history for googles searches. I learned from my IT department at work that chrome browser installs a server that runs in the background and that they have modified their code over the last year to make it impossible to block employees from downloading it without locking features they currently use.
    Also if you notice. These articles are from security experts and not denied by Google. It's windows all over again. The masses had no idea how bad it was because the techies had based their livelihood on Windows and until all he'll broke loose you heard comments like yours denying what even Google admits. They can't lie about it because they are publicly traded, but they can acknowledge and downplay and let their minions deny. As far as the iPhone hostages, notice it was not a breach of Apple systems but people using common passwords hacked from another company. I know two people directly effected by Andriod hackers stealing money. The only things they downloaded were keyboards and wallpaper and a couple of word games. One was getting hacked every payday even after changing passwords and the bank changing her user name. She switched to a credit union and witching 3 days got a call that someone tried to break into her account.
  • Reply 88 of 93
    Quote:

You clearly don't understand your favorite company. Google knows who you are you have to clear your google searches on Google.com. I was actually on their web page. After typing it out once it remember. Not my computer but Google so unless you also changed the router and IP address. Remember your VM is still using your host to access the internet. Somewhere in the search page is the button to reset the history for googles searches. I learned from my IT department at work that chrome browser installs a server that runs in the background and that they have modified their code over the last year to make it impossible to block employees from downloading it without locking features they currently use.

The new VM has a different IP address. Different search results for different users is a valuable feature, and saves me time frequently. I don't know why you're harping on suggested searches as a way to hide results. What happens when you type "android malware" into the Google search box and hit "Enter?"

Google is not my favorite company, by a long shot. They make much of my currently favorite software. I will drop their stuff immediately whenever something better replaces it. For example, I was enjoying Google Maps until I discovered Waze. Dropped the Google product immediately for navigation... then they bought Waze anyway. Apple may be inching its way into my view for software after many of the recent announcements. I don't care what company is behind the software I use. Software is a tool, not a religion.

As it is, Google software is saving me time, which is my most valuable resource. I have not lost one penny nor one moment of sleep to the fact that they use data about me to earn money.

• Reply 89 of 93
    tundraboy wrote: »
    The word 'privacy' is not in Google's dictionary.

Google is not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, neither is Apple.  So how do they monetize their health platform?  Apple does it by selling devices.  Google, by selling You.  Only the stupid or ignorant would entrust their health information to Google.
    Here is an article about Schmidt's view on privacy. He doesn't see the point unless it's his personal information.
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/12/google-ceo-eric-schmidt-dismisses-privacy
  • Reply 90 of 93
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    genovelle wrote:

The article didn't tell me anything new. As I use only Nexus and Play devices with the latest vesions of Android and follow simple security measures like not side loading apps or use apps from less then reputable software companies I don't have a problem. The same with iOS, stay away from small apps that aren't from reputable sources and you'll be fine. So again I have never had a Malware because I follow these rules and Android is very secure because of it. The same thing goes for any OS, Windows, OSX, Linux, whatever, their all vulnerable in some way or another if the user doesn't follow standard security protocols or bypasses them in anyway.
  • Reply 91 of 93
    The new VM has a different IP address. Different search results for different users is a valuable feature, and saves me time frequently. I don't know why you're harping on suggested searches as a way to hide results. What happens when you type "android malware" into the Google search box and hit "Enter?"

Google is not my favorite company, by a long shot. They make much of my currently favorite software. I will drop their stuff immediately whenever something better replaces it. For example, I was enjoying Google Maps until I discovered Waze. Dropped the Google product immediately for navigation... then they bought Waze anyway. Apple may be inching its way into my view for software after many of the recent announcements. I don't care what company is behind the software I use. Software is a tool, not a religion.

As it is, Google software is saving me time, which is my most valuable resource. I have not lost one penny nor one moment of sleep to the fact that they use data about me to earn money.
    Well I prefer to control my own data and will only feel comfortable about giving it to companies who believe I should maintain control of it. Because of how they make money your protection is not high on their list. They do what they are forced to do. Their real concern is for their real customers. Whoever has the
    Money for ads gains the access. Whichever site gets the traffic gets paid hackers or legit. They win either way, so why would they care. Knowing that 75% of their customer are on an old OS version, why not close the holes? Or figure a way to make the current version work on them and push out updates. It's not in their best interest or the carriers and hardware makers. They want you to upgrade phone to be safer, but still sell phones new with the old OS. Why? It benefits them.
  • Reply 92 of 93
    Quote:

Well I prefer to control my own data

That's fine, and it comes at a price.

Quote:

will only feel comfortable about giving it to companies who believe I should maintain control of it. Because of how they make money your protection is not high on their list. They do what they are forced to do. Their real concern is for their real customers. Whoever has the

Money for ads gains the access. Whichever site gets the traffic gets paid hackers or legit. They win either way, so why would they care. 

The reason companies show up with money is because they know the eyeballs will be there looking at the ads. If Google screws the pooch on security, the eyeballs will no longer be there, and neither will the money. It's a pretty simple equation. They cater to users and to customers at different levels, but both are important. This is not complicated.

Quote:

Knowing that 75% of their customer are on an old OS version, why not close the holes? Or figure a way to make the current version work on them and push out updates. It's not in their best interest or the carriers and hardware makers. They want you to upgrade phone to be safer, but still sell phones new with the old OS. Why? It benefits them.

I can't speak for other users, but I am on a Nexus 4. I have consistently had the latest update within 4 days of it hitting devices. Until Android is no longer my preferred platform, I will be using Nexus/Play/Silver devices without question (like Relic above). If Google wants me to upgrade phones for security, then why are they releasing bug-fix minor releases to my phone?

If there is a beef about devices not running the latest version of the OS, that needs to get taken up with the carriers and manufacturers. I'm speaking with my wallet. Apple have figured this out, and are able to push updates through subsidized phone plans, which is awesome. Since Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. all have their own Android mods, they are the ones responsible for owning the update process. It should be clear that it's much more expensive for Samsung to push an update than it is for Google, and you can just follow this money back to an answer on why those devices don't get updates.

I'll tell you that the Nexus 4 experience has been great. I bought the phone for $300, and I'm on an unlimited data plan for $30/month (limited promotion -- no longer available). I'm saving $800/year compared to what I'd be paying with Verizon on a Samsung or iPhone. My OS is updated frequently, works great, and I have a wonderfully integrated experience between my home, office, and my phone. I can even host a wifi hotspot for free, just clicking a desktop icon.

Does Google monitor my data? Absolutely. Is it creepy? A little, but it's also very handy. For instance Google Now has been recognizing where I go weekly (like I race bikes at the Driveway Austin on Thursday nights), and it throws up a card that afternoon with a commute time to the Driveway -- with three kids looking for dinner, it's more efficient to plan the evening if I just glance at a card for a commute time than if I search Waze for it. Same thing with our regular Saturday night family restaurants. I get cards showing commute times, and that can figure into the decision as events like ACL or F1 will impact different parts of town. Now also remembers where I park for the once-per-quarter times that I can't remember or need to explain it to my wife where I parked.

At any rate, my wife prefers the iPhone/Verizon experience, and that's fine too, because it works for her style and activities. I don't think I'd even recommend Android to her, as it's a bit more hands-on to get the best experience. I prefer having that control, but she does not. When I have to use her phone for something, it's a fine experience too. I don't know how anyone could criticize the overall iOS experience. Again, though, they're just tools, not religions.

• Reply 93 of 93
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Here is an article about Schmidt's view on privacy. He doesn't see the point unless it's his personal information.
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/12/google-ceo-eric-schmidt-dismisses-privacy

Before you start posting articles about Google from a very left wing site you should also note that their are quite a few about Apple on their as well. I don't doubt for a second that Google isn't doing some shady things but lets face it, this is the world we live in. If you think for a second that any of your data is secure on Google's Apple's, Microsoft's, Oracle's or any other multi billion dollar company's servers that deals in high volume of personal data from their users your kidding yourself. These companies deal with governments from every nation on a daily basis, thinking that they have anything that resembles ethics when it comes to personal privacy is down right naive. I wouldn't doubt for a second that Apple made some sort of back handed deal with the government of China that included a back door in every device sold for their government to utilize and abuse for the right to sell their products their. Their are some pretty brilliant people working in these company's, the fact that the NSA has been snooping on the Americans for years should at least spark some kind of suspicion that these company's not only new about it but is allowing it to happen. Regardless of all of the press about trying to come up with new ways to secure your data or so called coalitions against government snooping, it's a facade, inciting false hope. So continue your crasade against Google (all the while still using their services I might add) but it's a frivolous endeavor when the company you use to replace them are doing exactly the same thing.