Apple puts some Hachette e-books on sale as Amazon dispute drags on

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2014
With publishing house Hachette locked in a battle with Amazon that has seen the imprint's titles pulled from Amazon's virtual shelves, Apple's iBookstore has become the next-best place for readers to shop as a number of Hachette e-books are now discounted to just $9.99.

Each of the nearly 30 titles in Apple's $9.99 pre-orders section is from Hachette, and all are currently unavailable from Amazon -- though it is not known what relation Apple's move has to the Amazon tiff. The sale was first noticed by Re/code.

Included in the sale are popular upcoming titles by authors including J.K. Rowling and James Patterson, which have become pawns in a dispute over e-book pricing between one of the world's largest publishers and the world's largest seller of books. Many believe Amazon is strong-arming Hachette in hopes of securing a new, more profitable sales agreement following the Department of Justice's dismantling of the agency pricing model that allowed publishers to set e-books prices.

Amazon, for its part, insists that the stalemate is a standard part of negotiations designed to benefit consumers. "Negotiating for acceptable terms is an essential business practice that is critical to keeping service and value high for customers in the medium and long term," the company said in a statement.

Hachette is among the publishers who almost immediately settled following the DoJ's filing of a civil suit alleging antitrust violations. Apple eventually lost that case, though the company is in the midst of an appeal and recently settled a parallel damages-seeking suit brought by a number of state attorneys general.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    So then is Apple paying the differential to Hachette?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    But... but... but, Apple doesn't set the price, nor do they sell at or below wholesale.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    I think the DOJ needs to look into this. Surely Apple increasing or decreasing any selling price must be breaking some arbitrary law. /s
  • Reply 4 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

But wait books are commodities and you should be able to buy the same book from any writer or publisher and everyone should be paying the same price not matter what.

Hatchette should just give in and let Amazon sell their product otherwise they may go to the writer and convince them to sell their book under another publisher, or worse they find their own writers and have them write the same books for them.

• Reply 5 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Apple's iBookstore has become the next-best place for readers to shop...

Next best?

• Reply 6 of 40
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    This is cool. But I smell another DOJ lawsuit. I can see it now. "Apple fined 3.2 trillion dollars for selling Hachette e-books Amazon is not currently selling, causing grief to consumers everywhere. All 3 of them."
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Next best?

Definitely a weird line especially since these titles are not available on Amazon thus making the iBookstore the best place to get them.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    - New York Times
  • Reply 9 of 40
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I still believe this whole DOJ lawsuit is/was a farce. As a consumer, I should pay what I want for the quality of product I want. If I want to pay less for Amazon's version. Good. If I want to pay more for Apple's iBook version. Great!

Publishers should also be free to sell their product for what they think its worth. The whole idea that Amazon is undervaluing the product is hurting the entire industry for the benefit of one company. This has proven time and again to NOT be a pro-consumer activity. Making something free or cheap does not mean the consumer is getting a better deal. Exhibit A: Walmart... outsourcing manufacturing to cheaper locations and reducing the American wage just to "rollback" the price of goods a few cents and line the pockets of a few people.  Entire small town mom and pop shops have been wiped off the planet, never to appear again thanks to one corporate behemoth.

The sad thing is that every other retailer now needs to follow suit or face the same fate. No longer do we have a diverse economy of small shops, but now there are only a few corporations that continue to consolidate and control the entire buying habits of the population.

So is this what we want as consumers? To be fed a constant stream of ads on sub-optimum devices and forced to buy from one supplier? No matter how cheap that gets, I don't want it. I want to have the option to buy a better quality experience that lets writers have a fair wage that builds the economy, not destroy it.

• Reply 10 of 40
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I still believe this whole DOJ lawsuit is/was a farce. As a consumer, I should pay what I want for the quality of product I want. If I want to pay less for Amazon's version. Good. If I want to pay more for Apple's iBook version. Great! ....

If only more people could see that just because the consumer gets something cheaper doesn't mean it's a better overall deal (even for said consumer) ... I'm with you on paying for quality. Unfortunately, for some, I understand that $ can be issue.

Good thing for choice, when we're allowed to have it, I guess.

• Reply 11 of 40
    I'm surprised Bromwich approved it.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Now Apple will investigated for predatory pricing. Putting books on sale to take away customers from Amazon? Hideous.

• Reply 13 of 40
    Next best?
    Imo, yes. Next best. For me nothing beats going into a store or a library and getting a physical copy of a book. I flat-out despise e-books.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

DOJ sues Apple in 3...  2...  1...

• Reply 15 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm surprised Bromwich approved it.

What's there to approve? Apple still sells ebooks under the agency model, the publishers are free to set whatever price they want - and Apple takes their 30% fee. Just as before this is coming off as something Apple is doing, this is more likely Hachette's doing.

The ruling against Apple forced the removal of the so-called "Favored Nation" clause, it didn't prohibit the continued use of the agency model.

• Reply 16 of 40
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    What's there to approve? Apple still sells ebooks under the agency model, the publishers are free to set whatever price they want - and Apple takes their 30% fee. Just as before this is coming off as something Apple is doing, this is more likely Hachette's doing.

The ruling against Apple forced the removal of the so-called "Favored Nation" clause, it didn't prohibit the continued use of the agency model.

No they don't currently sell eBooks under the agency model.

http://tidbits.com/article/13998
  • Reply 17 of 40
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

But wait books are commodities and you should be able to buy the same book from any writer or publisher and everyone should be paying the same price not matter what.

Hatchette should just give in and let Amazon sell their product otherwise they may go to the writer and convince them to sell their book under another publisher, or worse they find their own writers and have them write the same books for them.

That is not how a free economy works. Pricing is something that the market dictates and Hatchette doesn't need to give in. It is their prerogative how they want to conduct their business. The fact of the matter is that neither the publishers or authors are happy with Amazon's position in the market. I haven't seen authors side with Amazon in this contract negotiations.

• Reply 18 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    So then is Apple paying the differential to Hachette?

Apple doesn't set the price. Hachette does.

And you can bet that this is all about Amazon's crap. Hachette wants folks to get the books. If Amazon loses sales cause folks went to iBooks, sucks to be Amazon.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No they don't currently sell eBooks under the agency model.

http://tidbits.com/article/13998

That was a proposed order, not a final one. And no where does it say they can't use agency terms.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Hooray Apple and Hachette.  I'm hoping Amazon cracks before Hachette does.  People can buy books just as easily from Google Play, and some people can buy from iBooks too.  Pay reasonably more for the books, and charge more for them.  Hachette is bearing the brunt while the other publishers sit on the sidelines.  Would be nice to see another one join them in the fight.