Apple brings back free summer camps for kids with moviemaking, storytelling workshops

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Parents looking for an outlet for their creative-minded children this summer can take advantage of Apple's annual Apple Camp, in which the company invites kids ages 8 through 12 to participate in three-day workshops covering moviemaking with iMovie or storytelling with iBooks.

U.S., Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, and the U.K. in the months of July and August. Enrollment is free, and parents can sign up at AppleRSVP.com as registration opens in their region.

In the "Stories in Motion with iMovie" camp, Apple will teach young learners how to create movies on their Mac using Final Cut's little brother. Apple says the curriculum will include storyboarding, filming, creating a soundtrack using the iPad's unique version of GarageBand, and finally bringing the final edit together on a Mac.

"Interactive Storytelling with iBooks," meanwhile, will see campers design and publish their own electronic books. They will learn to illustrate pictures on an iPad, then add sound and touch abilities in iBooks Author.

Apple does require that each child be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, and children can only attent one of the first-come, first-served workshops. Campers are encouraged to bring a digital camera for the iMovie workshop, but cameras will be provided for those who do not have their own.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I must say I'm disappointed as I assumed this also meant programming classes but perhaps I'm not using the word "creative" as they intend.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

All filled up at my local Apple store already... Too bad they don't have more spacing... Maybe next year.

• Reply 3 of 11
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

All filled up at my local Apple store already... Too bad they don't have more spacing... Maybe next year.

Same here. 1.5 hour camps aren't really workable in our 2-worker household anyway. Sounds like it would be a blast for the kids though.

• Reply 4 of 11
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Ugh, the whole point of camp is so we can dump our little bastards off and forget about that drunken night we made so long ago. I don't mind Apple brain washing my children but they damn well should provide child care. Just pisses me off to no end, looks like our demon spawn is off to the grandparents again. I guess not everything falls under the Apple Care policy.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Same here. 1.5 hour camps aren't really workable in our 2-worker household anyway. Sounds like it would be a blast for the kids though.

Wasn't technology supposed to give us more free time? Why do we have less of it?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Wasn't technology supposed to give us more free time? Why do we have less of it?

This is a good point.

On my non-SSD machines, I wait just as long for it to boot up from power off as I did in 1994, even though the machine is about 1000x faster.

Technology also gives us Orange is the New Black and House of Cards, a whole "season" through a fire hose. That can waste some time.

• Reply 7 of 11
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Great idea because we all know that the summer is for staying indoors and staring at electronics. Playing outside and developing physically and emotionally is sooooo last millennium!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

My hat is off to Apple for promoting this concept for kids in the summer who will be more educated through this program.

• Reply 9 of 11
    marvfox wrote: »
    My hat is off to Apple for promoting this concept for kids in the summer who will be more educated through this program.

First and foremost this is a marketing strategy, designed to get people into the shop. Children are a very powerful motivator when it comes to purchasing new equipment. Example; my husband took our children to one of these for iTunes, after it was finished all three of them walked out with new iPod Nano's, not just them either but a few parents caved in and did the same. So before you start taking off hats you should know that this education that your calling it wasn't implemented because Apple is trying to give something back to the community, it's a corporation, there are ulterior motives.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

So before you start taking off hats you should know that this education that your calling it wasn't implemented because Apple is trying to give something back to the community, it's a corporation, there are ulterior motives.

Or, you know, they want kids to become acquainted with computers and coding so that they can realize their potential. Because that has been their philosophy for decades.

This isn’t Bill Gates we’re dealing with here. Apple isn’t a soulless corporate monster.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Or, you know, they want kids to become acquainted with computers and coding so that they can realize their potential. Because that has been their philosophy for decades.

This isn’t Bill Gates we’re dealing with here. Apple isn’t a soulless corporate monster.

Your right but it will also take a course that is longer then an hour and a half and in an environment that isn't basically a candy store for young nerds. Funny you mentioned Bill Gates, The Microsoft store offer's one on one instruction for any new computer or tablet bought in their store, software as well including things like Photoshop. You can make as many appointment's as you want too, no limit. I'm not delusional. I realize that Microsoft employees sit around a lot more then the ones in the Apple store because of the sheer volume of visitors they have but it's also nice gesture none the less. These tactics aren't new either, Gateway used to do the same thing in their stores. This reminds me of those old Apple info commercials for the Macintosh Performa line, remember those, loved them.

[VIDEO]