Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2014
Apple on Wednesday formally launched its anticipated new low-end 21.5-inch iMac with a lower entry price of $1,099, boasting a 1.4-gigahertz dual-core Intel Core i5 CPU, a 500-gigabyte hard drive, and 8 gigabytes of RAM.

The new machine comes in a full $200 cheaper than the 21.5-inch 2.7-gigahertz model, which served as the previous low-end model. That faster model, along with Apple's other all-in-one desktop configurations, remains unchanged.

For $200 savings, users will downgrade from a faster quad-core chip to a dual-core CPU. RAM stays the same, but hard drive space is cut in half from 1-terabyte on the $1,299 model. Graphics are also downgraded from Intel's Iris Pro integrated solution to Intel HD Graphics 5000.

The new model can be upgraded with a 1-terabyte Serial ATA drive for an additional $50, a 1-terabyte Fusion Drive for $250, or a 256-gigabyte flash drive for $250. The 1.4-gigahertz processor and the 8 gigabytes of RAM cannot be upgraded.

Despite the new lower pricing, authorized Apple resellers are already offering a much better deal on the the more well equipped 2.7-gigahertz Core i5 model, boasting a 1-terabyte hard drive and dedicated Nvidia GeForce GT 640M graphics. As can be seen in the AppleInsider Price Guides, that configuration can be purchased for just $999 after a $70 mail-in-rebate (PDF) through MacMall, making it a much more powerful computer at $100 less, and tax-free in 41 states.

Apple issued a press release Wednesday morning touting the machine as "the perfect entry-level Mac desktop." Sporting the same thin design as all other current iMacs, it features 802.11ac Wi-Fi, two Thunderbolt ports, and four USB 3.0 ports. It also comes with iLife -- featuring GarageBand, iPhoto and iMovie -- as well as the iWork suite of Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

The new 21.5-inch iMac also comes with OS X Mavericks, and can be upgraded for free later this year to OS X Yosemite. In addition to being available through Apple's online store, it will also be available at Apple retail stores and authorized resellers.

The last time Apple offered a $1,099 iMac was in early 2013, but that model was only available for sale to educational institutions. Apple hit that price point with a dual-core 3.3-gigahertz Intel Core i3 processor and Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 175
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    With those specs and that price point who is this geared towards? :???:
  • Reply 2 of 175
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    $200 savings is $200 savings. Especially you don't need the power- like a simple workstation at an office. When our 2007 craps out in our Hawaii lab- I'll be getting this one. Only checks mail, numbers, and FileMaker. The power supply will die before the specs are obsolete for that use.

Rogi- that 2007 runs circles around our 2013 $500 Dell workstations (no monitor) regarding opening FileMaker, opening mail vs dell opening outlook, and opening numbers vs dell opening excel. Only reason our IT guy buys dell is I have to run sharp desk for printing our reports. Of course, I don't write reports so I have an imac ;)
  • Reply 3 of 175
    Intel HD 5000 graphics for a 21 inch screen! Ouch! Your not going to even be able to play angry birds on that.
  • Reply 4 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

With those specs and that price point who is this geared towards? image

Anybody in business.  Most desktop computers are overpowered for the tasks they tend to run (Office, CS application, and inventory tracking/management) and this would be ideal.  I could probably get something like this approved as a desktop replacement than the more expensive older entry level model because when you add up the numbers I can get more workstations for the same amount of money.

• Reply 5 of 175
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Awful. Horrific specs. Should be $999 at most.
  • Reply 6 of 175
    kheddenkhedden Posts: 2member

Other iMacs appear unchanged. Disappointing, as I was looking for any excuse to upgrade from my 2006 model.

• Reply 7 of 175
    Where is the high end 27 inch ? I expected Apple to release those ones as well :(.
  • Reply 8 of 175
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    I am at lost the reason behind this product.
  • Reply 9 of 175
    Hmm...this seems to me like a bean counter move. Maybe the specs are fine for certain situations but it does seem overpriced. I'm not sure why Apple didn't go for $999. Or just do a price cut on the existing models.
  • Reply 10 of 175
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I suppose for simple people like my dad this is perfect. But, he just purchased the $599 Mac mini last week and I bought him a 23" ISP LED Display so he's probably better off. I also put an SSD in it for him along side the 500 GB HD that came in it.

I can see where this would be good for simple people to do simple things. Things are never cheap enough, however I think this should be $999 at those specs. Breaking that sub-$1000 is important for people.
  • Reply 11 of 175
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Any particular reason why Apple prefers 5400 rpm hard drives to the nore common 7200 rpm variety? You can't even get 5400 rpm drives on Newegg these days.

• Reply 12 of 175
    gunner1954gunner1954 Posts: 142member
    Please note that there are NO memory upgrade options for this new iMac.
    8GB is all you get, though many tech sites have reported that 8GB is the sweet spot for most general purpose tasks, practically eliminating the spinning beach ball.

Decent specs for a general purpose office machine not requiring high-end video or photo editing, or for kids in a school lab, or for the mom and pop shop for inventory control, or for beauty salon cash register, or for Windows XP switchers, or for a host of other low end, practical uses.
  • Reply 13 of 175
    rogifan wrote: »
    With those specs and that price point who is this geared towards? :???:

Spec chaser?

Educators, budget conscious families, students. Anyone price sensitive with light computational loads. It's a fine system that will meet lots of people's needs. I still have an older Core2 Mac running far less RAM, and OS X runs fine, apps run fine. Safari, Chrome, Xcode, Pages, even iMovie. Oh, but please look down on my old Mac dismissively because its not up to current specs. Just don't tell me it is no good.
  • Reply 14 of 175
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

1.4GHz? Wow that is quite a bit lower than the iMac has been for a while. I wonder what the thinking is on this? Maybe the cooling is designed so that it will stay in Turbo Boost (2.7GHz) most of the time.

• Reply 15 of 175
    Spec chaser?

Educators, budget conscious families, students. Anyone price sensitive with light computational loads. It's a fine system that will meet lots of people's needs. I still have an older Core2 Mac running far less RAM, and OS X runs fine, apps run fine. Safari, Chrome, Xcode, Pages, even iMovie. Oh, but please look down on my old Mac dismissively because its not up to current specs. Just don't tell me it is no good.
    I said those specs AND that price point. Specs might be fine for a lot of people but the price seems a bit of a ripoff. I'm struggling to see how Apple couldn't have achieved a $999 price point.
  • Reply 16 of 175
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Any particular reason why Apple prefers 5400 rpm hard drives to the nore common 7200 rpm variety? You can't even get 5400 rpm drives on Newegg these days.

Heat and noise, I would expect.

This reduces entry from £1049 to £899 in the UK. That's a big psychological barrier broken, in my opinion.

• Reply 17 of 175
    gunner1954 wrote: »
    Please note that there are NO memory upgrade options for this new iMac.
    8GB is all you get, though many tech sites have reported that 8GB is the sweet spot for most general purpose tasks, practically eliminating the spinning beach ball.

Decent specs for a general purpose office machine not requiring high-end video or photo editing, or for kids in a school lab, or for the mom and pop shop for inventory control, or for beauty salon cash register, or for Windows XP switchers, or for a host of other low end, practical uses.
    Yes it's great for all of that...but unfortunately $100-$200 overpriced.
  • Reply 18 of 175
    rogifan wrote: »
    m struggling to see how Apple couldn't have achieved a $999 price point.

Greed.
  • Reply 19 of 175
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yes it's great for all of that...but unfortunately $100-$200 overpriced.

Just like all of their Mac product line...  I don't understand why Apple consumer desktop hardware is so overpriced and under-powered.  Their mobile device hardware is price competitive... I never understood this...

• Reply 20 of 175
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    still too expensive imo, especially considering they lower the specs. IF they would drop then entire line by $100 it would look much better: 21.5" - $999, $1199, $1399.

On the canadian apple site, the 1TB fusion drive upgrade or 256 SSD upgrades are $275. The 500mb to 1TB upgrade is $50. I have the fusion drive on my 27" imac and its worth it, I would never go back to regular drives.