First OS X 10.10 Yosemite update offers very early look at 'dark mode'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member

My eyes are very sensitive to bright lights, and normally I view the display in Inverse Colors. Then, if I need to see images correctly, I use a short-cut key to quickly switch back to normal display mode. So, I am interested in 'dark mode', but the question is…how many screen elements will have the 'dark mode' capability? Apparently the top menus and dock are included. Will the screen background, application sidebars, or other textual areas on applications go 'dark'? Will everything go 'dark' except for the images?

If you think about it, your TV is in 'dark mode', with normal images, and usually have white text on a small dark background on the TV image. Or the white text may be an overlay. What you usually don't see is black text on a white background on a TV (except for set-up menus).

How did black text on a white background become the computer display norm? The idea was to replicate a typewritten document in a GUI environment. Before the GUI, many monitors attached to a mainframe had light green text on a black background.

• Reply 22 of 36
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Batman Mode™
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Oh, the memories of years gone by...

How does that saying go.... the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Of course, that isn't valid here actually.

I love this screenshot. I want to buy some really old OS versions and get them running on virtual machine if I can. I joined the Apple eco-system too late - during the Snow Leopard days.

I do have a MacMini running Tiger, but I would love to get my hands on OS 9 and stuff before that...  

• Reply 24 of 36
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I really like this theme. If you use it with the Solid Aqua Graphite background colour the OS looks quite tasteful. But then you open a Finder window and look at the icons in the toolbar and it doesn't look quite so good.

I actually don't believe Jony Ive had any input in to this GUI. He must be head of the department at an executive level but doesn't have any day to day involvement in actual product design. Because Apple's hardware is *so* tasteful, but their GUIs just aren't. It seems unlikely the same person could have done both. They seem like a different aesthetic. 

• Reply 25 of 36
    To be done right it means apps will have to have an alternative dark interface. Native UI components like windows and dialogs can inherit from the system. Custom components will have to have 2 states and things like icons for menu bar items will have to have a light version to stand out agains the dark menu, unless apple can figure out a way to automagically create a mask for the icons. I'm sure there will be a whole slew of app updates with "now supports Yosemite dark mode." release notes.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    still not a patch on kaleidoscope, though. :)
  • Reply 27 of 36
    nagromme wrote: »
    brlawyer wrote: »
    You can do pretty much the same thing with the Accessibility pane right now; so what's the deal?

No, you can't. You can make a negative of the whole screen--which gives you black menus, along with messed up video, photos, graphics you're working on, icons, album art, games, Finder tags, wallpaper.... every aspect of color on the whole system.

Now we can have a dark theme for the UI without messing up non-UI elements. Looking forward to it!
    macxpress wrote: »
    I don't know why they don't make Dark Mode the default of the OS anyways. I think it looks so much better. I've always adored the UI of Apple's Pro Apps because of the dark interface.

I'd like to have the mode change to dark at sunset and light at sunrise.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    mdcragg wrote: »
    I wish Safari had a "dark background" feature allowing the user to darken white backgrounds on web pages. I hate it when I am up late at night with the brightness turned all the way down but still squinting in pain at the bright screen.

appleinsider.com is a good example (no offense guys).

Go to bed earlier. Problem solved.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

1) I doubt I could do it but I bet that could be done with a simple script that was loaded when you log in assuming it won't require the user to log out and then back in as it currently is with the Terminal command.

2) I would think a better solution isn't the time of day but rather the amount of ambient light in the room.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    haggar wrote: »
    How does that saying go.... the more things change, the more they remain the same.
    Of course, that isn't valid here actually.

I love this screenshot. I want to buy some really old OS versions and get them running on virtual machine if I can. I joined the Apple eco-system too late - during the Snow Leopard days.
    I do have a MacMini running Tiger, but I would love to get my hands on OS 9 and stuff before that...  

A proportion of the population will always be masochists.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    solipsismx wrote: »

1) I doubt I could do it but I bet that could be done with a simple script that was loaded when you log in assuming it won't require the user to log out and then back in as it currently is with the Terminal command.

2) I would think a better solution isn't the time of day but rather the amount of ambient light in the room.

I don't want a better solution; I want the mode to tell me when it's sunrise and sunset without having to do anything but look at the screen.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

f.lux (https://justgetflux.com/does something analogous with the display color temperature. I think what you propose would require a continuous spectrum of themes between light and dark to work well. Otherwise, a binary switch from dark to light could be quite jarring IMO.

• Reply 33 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">f.lux (</span>
    https://justgetflux.com/) <span style="line-height:1.4em;">does something analogous with the display color temperature. I think what you propose would require a continuous spectrum of themes between light and dark to work well. Otherwise, a binary switch from dark to light could be quite jarring IMO.</span>

Looks good but I'm halfway done writing [@]Benjamin Frost[/@] a program that will shutdown his computer when the sunset and won't turn on again until daybreak.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    siliviasilivia Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I really like this theme. If you use it with the Solid Aqua Graphite background colour the OS looks quite tasteful. But then you open a Finder window and look at the icons in the toolbar and it doesn't look quite so good.

I actually don't believe Jony Ive had any input in to this GUI. He must be head of the department at an executive level but doesn't have any day to day involvement in actual product design. Because Apple's hardware is *so* tasteful, but their GUIs just aren't. It seems unlikely the same person could have done both. They seem like a different aesthetic. 

I agree with ascii. This theme is nice but it is too dark. solid aqua graphite background color looks nice.

• Reply 35 of 36
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Oh, the memories of years gone by...

This brought me some fond memories from the good ol' 680x0 days, that's for sure ;)

• Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Batman Mode™

Hahahaha ....yeahh funny  love it Batman Mode