Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless charging

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2014
A fresh set of rumors about Apple's anticipated "iWatch" were supplied on Thursday by mainstream media outlet, which was told by an unnamed source that the device will boast wireless charging capabilities, and will sport a slightly rectangular watch face.

"iWatch" concept by Martin Hajek.

The face of the watch will measure about 2.5 inches diagonally, according to Reuters, which cited a person familiar with the unannounced product. That face is expected to protrude slightly from the band and create an arch shape.

The display of the watch is expected to be a touchscreen supplied by LG Display, and Taiwan-based Quanta Computer Inc. is said to be planning to start production of the device in July.

The source also claimed that the device will include a heart rate monitor from Heptagon that will track the wearer's pulse. That aligns with rumors from over a year ago that said the device is expected to focus on biometrics for health and fitness feedback.

The so-called "iWtach" also expected to feature wireless charging -- something The New York Times also claimed earlier this year.

Apple is said to be planning a media event for this October where it's expected to introduce the company's "first wearable device," which is widely believed to be a wrist-worn connected device. The "iWatch" is believed to tap into the new HealthKit tools for developers that Apple will include in the forthcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system, which is currently available in beta for testing.

Other recent reports have suggested the device will sport a flexible OLED touchscreen. Such technology could allow Apple to introduce unique designs not possible with traditional LCD panels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Oh, for crying out loud%u2026!

(sigh)

Edit: Hey, how come 3 dots (dot dot dot) comes out all messed up, as it is after the word "loud" up above? I only have that problem here.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    There has to be more to the iWatch than just health tracking. Apple would not likely sell millions of these things if it was just that.

There may be a lot of fat and obese people in the world who NEED a device like this, but they won't buy it just for that.

What's the killer app for the iWatch? It has to be convenience or a new feature we didn't know we couldn't live without. THIS is the true secrecy of the iWatch.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Eww...
  • Reply 4 of 110
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    And what is a slightly rectangular???
    These reports are getting Ridiculous!
  • Reply 5 of 110
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Slightly rectangular as opposed to very rectangular? Lol
  • Reply 6 of 110
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    I'm not sure I want my health tracked so closely..
  • Reply 7 of 110
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member
    Not thinking this is true. They could have just opened up a SDK for the small square iPod, added a camera and a apple band.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

the uses of a watch computer is as endless as your imagination

I'm pretty sure I'm not buying an iWatch. My iPhone screen is already too small. I can't imaging trying to read text on a watch screen. Perhaps it will be useful for telling time, but I don't really care what time it is and my iPhone already does that.

• Reply 9 of 110
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Come on folks. "Slightly rectangular" means almost square, but not quite. When looking at form factors for such devices, you would need more than just "square" or "rectangular" to talk about it since rectangular covers a whole heck of a lot of territory. This is not math class.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    There has to be more to the iWatch than just health tracking. Apple would not likely sell millions of these things if it was just that.

There may be a lot of fat and obese people in the world who NEED a device like this, but they won't buy it just for that.

What's the killer app for the iWatch? It has to be convenience or a new feature we didn't know we couldn't live without. THIS is the true secrecy of the iWatch.
    That's what I don't get about it, people want this device, those are the tech, however 90% of apple customers will not care for it.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    rectangular shape? like a 70's device?
  • Reply 12 of 110
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Looks like the 6th gen Nano w an arm band. :\
  • Reply 13 of 110
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Oh, for crying out loud%u2026!

(sigh)

haters got to hate.

U are probably one of those fools who said the iPad is just a bigger iPhone

Hate what? another clueless "rumor"?

U R (there you go; little basement dwelling, juvenile web lingo, so that we are equal "bro") probably someone who just has no taste in design.

Also: "iPad just a bigger iPhone"?  Ridiculous! Can't make cell calls on iPad.

• Reply 14 of 110
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Somewhere in Korea a Samsung executive is patent searching "slightly rectangular".
  • Reply 15 of 110
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Health

Home Automation - AC adjust to your temp?  Lights open/close when you walk in, ect

Gaming

TV remote

Replace CarKey, CarFob

Open garage

Payments

Keep in mind that all of Apple's devices are just scaled down Main Frames:

MainFrame > PC > Laptop > SmartPhone > Tablet > Watch

the uses of a watch computer is as endless as your imagination

Users already want a larger iPhone screen do you really believe they are going to manage all that from a 2.5 inch screen? I don't see it. Also most of what you listed is way down the line even if this product takes off. All computer technology not just Apple's trickles down from Mainframes. The iPod Nano has a 2.5 inch screen and having it sitting in front of me that is a freaking huge screen on your wrist. How is the average female going to manage a 2.5 inch screen? On the average male that would wrap around the entire top part of his wrist. 

• Reply 16 of 110
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    sog35 wrote: »
    it could save your life from a heart attack

I'd rather take an aspirin.
  • Reply 17 of 110
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    2.5" screen size for a wearable device? That sounds like something Samsung would make..
  • Reply 18 of 110
    That's what I don't get about it, people want this device, those are the tech, however 90% of apple customers will not care for it.

Do we even know what "it" is? Besides some promise rumor of a small, wearable touchscreen?
  • Reply 19 of 110
    pjapkpjapk Posts: 24member
    "un-square" any better? :)
  • Reply 20 of 110
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Edit: Hey, how come 3 dots (dot dot dot) comes out all messed up, as it is after the word "loud" up above? I only have that problem here.

So you posted from appleinsider.com and not forums.appleinsider.com, right? The comment field on the site proper has always been broken. It can't handle anything but the most rudimentary ASCII.

U are probably one of those fools who said the iPad is just a bigger iPhone

2.5" isn't exactly 'wearable'.

it could save your life from a heart attack

or a stroke. I guess some people rather be ignorant than alive

I'd rather the entire western world not know how my kidneys are functioning, thanks.

If I need a machine to tell me how I'm feeling medically, I'm probably not in a position that my heath is of any concern to me.