T-Mobile partners with Apple to offer free week-long iPhone 5s 'test drive' to nab potential custome

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There are some major differences between. One, an iPhone costs a lot less than a Jetta and the user still has to pony up the price of the device for the Test Drive. Two, this test is about the T-Mobile network not the iPhone.

I was comparing marketing campaigns, not the products they're hawking.  I would argue that the marketing approach is very similar, even if the specific devices are not.

And closer to the point, I wonder if WV learned something from their experience that T-Mobile has yet to discover, that led VW to never do this again.

• Reply 22 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    I was comparing marketing campaigns, not the products they're hawking.  I would argue that the marketing approach is very similar, even if the specific devices are not.

And closer to the point, I wonder if WV learned something from their experience that T-Mobile has yet to discover, that led VW to never do this again.

I understand that he marketing approaches are similar but my point is there are inherent differences that make this less of a risk for T-Mobile and gives customers a chance to experience something they might not otherwise be able to test. For example, I can go into any car dealership and test drive pretty much any car I want. Not for a week and VW was clearly looking to get customers attached in that week, but with a cell phone network it can be more tricky and using an in-store demo isn't going to cut it.

Anecdotally, I made the foolish mistake of jumping back to AT&T from Verizon with the iPhone 5S. I didn't do any research to see if AT&T had finally brought LTE to my area so I've pretty much had zero LTE coverage for 2500 square miles (50×50 miles) for the past year as well as noticeably worse voice calls. I don't like making voicing calls so I keep them to a minimum but when I do I would like them to sound decent. I do have SV&D — which I love — but I'm not sure that's enough to overtake now being much slower than Verizon in my area, which wasn't case when Verizon didn't have LTE in my area.

But I digress*. I'd like to pony up the $750 to test the 8th gen iPhone on T-Mobile to see if that the performance and call quality are better than what I could get from AT&T and Verizon or if it's good enough for their price plans. Technically I could do this with any carrier but it means doing a typical return and even without a restocking fee and even though it's perfectly legal that just feels unethical.

* I can never figure out if the statement "but I digress" should come at the end of the tangent, beginning of primary subject again, or be its own sentence.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by randian View Post

This gives a bunch of Android users the opportunity to try out the iPhone and see if they like it enough to switch. A great marketing plan by Apple.

Except it isn't Apple's plan. It was T-Mobile's idea.

• Reply 24 of 36
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I understand that he marketing approaches are similar but my point is there are inherent differences that make this less of a risk for T-Mobile and gives customers a chance to experience something they might not otherwise be able to test. For example, I can go into any car dealership and test drive pretty much any car I want. Not for a week and VW was clearly looking to get customers attached in that week, but with a cell phone network it can be more tricky and using an in-store demo isn't going to cut it.

I get it, you're suggesting that the user experiences for each product might be so different, that the marketing angle is not directly comparable.

(For example, we didn't evaluate the Jetta at a drag strip during our extended loan.  But I digress.)

• Reply 25 of 36
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

I hope this offer exists when the iPhone 6 is introduced and both rumored sizes are indeed actual products.  Having a week to try of the 5.5" iPhone will allow me to make a more informed decision if that size is manageable or too damn big!

• Reply 26 of 36
    rot'napple wrote: »
    I hope this offer exists when the iPhone 6 is introduced and both rumored sizes are indeed actual products.  Having a week to try of the 5.5" iPhone will allow me to make a more informed decision if that size is manageable or too damn big!

I didn't even think about the different sizes, only testing the network. That would be a good way to see if that will work for me.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    randianrandian Posts: 76member
    Quote:

There are some major differences between. One, an iPhone costs a lot less than a Jetta and the user still has to pony up the price of the device for the Test Drive. Two, this test is about the T-Mobile network not the iPhone.

I would argue that it's just as much about the iPhone as it is T-Mobile's network. This is an ideal way for an Android user to test the iPhone to see if they want to switch. Checking it out in an Apple Store isn't nearly as useful because of the limited things you can do.

• Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I'm pretty sure Legere specifically said that they'll be switching this offer to the latest and greatest iPhone when it arrives.

• Reply 29 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I didn't even think about the different sizes, only testing the network. That would be a good way to see if that will work for me.

How is this any different than Apple's 30 day return policy, or every other carriers 14 day policy?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How is this any different than Apple's 30 day return policy, or every other carriers 14 day policy?

One is an unethical and douchie tactic that takes advantage of consumer protection laws and the other is a marketing tactic designed by a company to get more people interesting in their particular service.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No restocking fee and no cost for the airtime/data you used.

• Reply 32 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    randian wrote: »

Gotcha. What's going to happen to those millions of iPhones used for a week? Can't sell them as new.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    randian wrote: »

1) Apple dropped restocking fees back in 2011.

2) AT&T states that if you return the device within 3 days of signing the contract you can get back the Activation Fee, yet the next sentence states that you will owe all fees as noted on the contract so I'm not sure if that's some slimy writing to make sure they get the $35 or if there are additional considerations on that contract for returning within that 3 day period.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    Gotcha. What's going to happen to those millions of iPhones used for a week? Can't sell them as new.

1) I don't they expect that to happen and it's definitely hard to get people to jump blindly into a new carrier so I think it's a good tactic assuming their network is good enough.

2) Sure, any returns will not be new but the after market for the ones that are returned is good, but it doesn't really matter if it's zero if the net yield is financially positive for gaining new users.

3) Let's be clear that T-Mobile has decided to take that risk which means they are choosing to eat that cost of a return, unless the 14 and 30 day return policies which are to legally protect consumers.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

T-Mobile never said that you'd get a brand-new iPhone to test drive. They would simply send the returned ones out again once they had been inspected for damage and reset to factory settings. Thus, you could very easily get a lightly used test drive unit.

It is likely that part of the partnership allows T-Mobile to send back cosmetically damaged units to Apple's refurbishing service for a new battery and chassis.

It is also quite probable that T-Mobile would be working with a stock of refurbished iPhones, Lightning cables, and AC chargers to start with. It is unlikely that they would send out any brand-new iPhone in full retail packaging.

• Reply 35 of 36
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

You're not purchasing anything or signing any contracts. Even with return policies and early cancellation privileges, it's still a big psychological barrier to purchase a device and sign a long and complicated contract. Sending someone an iPhone with unlimited data and voice minutes without making an actual purchase (a credit preauthorization is different simply because no official transaction occurs if you return the phone) is a much easier decision than forking over real money and signing a real contract.

When I was piecing together an audio system, the specialty stores in my area allowed me to "borrow" their demo units for home trial. They would preauthorize a credit card for the full purchase price of the component, and I would sign the slip. After trying the components out at home, the store would hand the credit slip back to me when I return them. Psychologically, this is way easier than actually purchasing something just to try it out at home. Even with generous return policies, it's still more of a hassle, because the store already took your money and you're bringing something back to get that money back. The stores that allowed me to "borrow" their demo units and try the out at home without taking my money up front wound up getting my business.

With audio components, something that sounds one way at a retail store might sound way different at home. That's why you don't want to buy without trying. Cell phones are sort of similar in that the reception or data speed might be fine in-store, but you bring the phone home and you might find the network quality differs a lot. T-Mobile's supposed weakness is their network, so this is their way of leveling the playing field. And with Apple, they have not made as strong a market penetration with T-Mobile as they would like, so allowing free trials of the iPhone 5s works to Apple's benefit as well.

T-Mobile's goal is 1 million test drives. Will be interesting to see how many of those test drives wind up switching carriers, and how many of them wind up switching phones. I'm happy with the 5s, but I will still gladly test drive an iPhone 6 just to see if the new phone's compelling and if I find the new form factor tolerable (I already view the 5s as somewhat larger than ideal).

• Reply 36 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Following on the heels of Motorola's free MotoX "test drive" followed by T-Mo's free iPhone test drive, Samsung rolls out their own 21-day program. Of course they did. :rolleyes:
    http://www.samsungmobileuspress.com/2014/06/26/Samsung-Launches-Consumer-Trial-Program-at-Five-U.S.-Galaxy-Studio-Locations