Apple's 'iWatch' to pack in 10+ sensors for health & fitness tracking, to come in multiple sizes, WS

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2014
Reports about Apple's anticipated wearable wrist-borne device continue to take shape, with the latest details claiming the product will launch this fall loaded with sensors and coming in multiple screen sizes.

"iWatch" concept by Martin Hajek.

The alleged details on Apple's so-called "iWatch," credited to the usual people familiar with the matter, were published on Friday by The Wall Street Journal. According to the publication, Apple's anticipated device will include more than 10 sensors, including ones to track health and fitness.

"Apple aims to address an overarching criticism of existing smart watches that they fail to provide functions significantly different from that of a smartphone," reporters Eva Dou and Lorraine Luk wrote.

In addition, the report said the alleged "iWatch" will come in multiple screen sizes. The product is rumored to launch as soon as October, and Quanta Computer is expected to build between 10 million and 15 million units by the end of the year.

The details come on the heels of a report from Reuters on Thursday that also claimed the iWatch will launch this fall, and added that it will have a "slightly rectangular" touchscreen display. That report suggested that the device would come in just one screen size of 2.5 inches, however.

Apple is said to be planning a media event for this October where it's expected to introduce the company's "first wearable device," which is widely believed to be a wrist-worn connected device. The "iWatch" is believed to tap into the new HealthKit tools for developers that Apple will include in the forthcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system, which is currently available in beta for testing.

Other alleged features of the "iWatch" include wireless charging that could allow a port-less design, and the use of flexible OLED displays that could allow Apple to introduce unique designs not possible with traditional LCD panels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm really hoping this device has stand alone functionality. Not sure how much I'd use it if I had to have my phone with me in order for it to work. But if the goal is for it to provide functionality that doesn't already exist with a smartphone then it could be game changing. Most of the Android Wear stuff seems to me mimicking functionality already present on your phone.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe it has all been a disinformation campaign to flush out leakers and throw off Samsung.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Google / Scamsung 'research development' team rush back to lab add more sensors ....
  • Reply 4 of 54
    'First wearable device' - strictly speaking the iPod nano was the first device Apple acknowledged as 'wearable'. Before that, people had been wearing an iPod on their arms for nearly a decade.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Can some put together a list of all the prediction for this and who is making them so we know who have no clue when apple finally release new products this fall. This whole guessing is worse then when it was rumor Apple was coming out with a phone.

• Reply 6 of 54
    Google / Scamsung 'research development' team rush back to lab add more sensors ....

Scamscum
  • Reply 7 of 54
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    wish it would have no screen, and just be a flexible band of sensors that report to my iphone...and make it so thin that I don't even know I'm wearing it.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    10 sensors isn't a whole lot these days...

gyro
    accel
    ambient light
    ambient noise
    primary mike
    near field
    temperature
    camera

...i'm at 8 with just some of the normal smartphone sensors.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    woodbinewoodbine Posts: 87member

You know that is an intriguing idea, the wrap-around display could be segmented to show many different metrics and the user simply rotates band to see what they want. Patent this.

• Reply 10 of 54

Such as upcoming Apple product concepts sensor, Apple patent applications sensor, Apple rumors sensor and ex-Apple employees sensor.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    schlack wrote: »

gyro
    accel
    ambient light
    ambient noise
    primary mike
    near field
    temperature
    camera

Don't forget the Chicken Fat sensor!
  • Reply 12 of 54
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm really hoping this device has stand alone functionality. Not sure how much I'd use it if I had to have my phone with me in order for it to work. But if the goal is for it to provide functionality that doesn't already exist with a smartphone then it could be game changing. Most of the Android Wear stuff seems to me mimicking functionality already present on your phone.

Sounds good in theory, but when are you without your phone?
  • Reply 13 of 54
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    wish it would have no screen, and just be a flexible band of sensors that report to my iphone...and make it so thin that I don't even know I'm wearing it.

I like this. If not Apple, expect others to take this path. The whole concept behind the health kit/app?
  • Reply 14 of 54
    reydnreydn Posts: 73member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Agree. I was thinking the new ability to make and receive phone calls with Mac or iPad (with your phone on you) would be perfect for iWatch - if it were my watch 'on' me lol, instead of my phone.
  • Reply 15 of 54

I do not believe ONE word of this rumours.

Are we waiting for this ?

What’s the ‘added’ value ?

Usability....price... in a market already over flooded with brands and models so much there is almost market saturation, and Apple is coming with a watch ! yeah right!

I remember years ago the Apple I-TV rumours and market speculations, the same situation on the markets as with watches, price margins and dozens of brands in all flavours.

Steve Jobs had ‘found the answer’ for breaking into this market...what happened ? Nothing!

In my opinion, at this moment Apple is surely working on some nice niche products...but an I-watch in 2014? no way ! There is simply NO demand for this and the technology is not ready yet, take batteries for ex. so much power needed to feed all this sensor-date, the most advanced tech watches like Samsung/Sony cannot hold out 24 hours, even with ‘wireless’ charging the drain is too high.

Because this is a rumour site, I make my own predictions :-) 

2015 :break-thru of medical integration in more IOS devices.

2016 :possible launch of thru wearable devices with foldable OLED screens etc.and battery technology able to keep the device running for a week without disconnect of charging.

2018 - 2020 :break-thru of ‘real’ AI in IOS devices, Siri becomes more ‘human’

Just my opinion of course :-)

• Reply 16 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

gyro
    accel
    ambient light
    ambient noise
    primary mike
    near field
    temperature
    camera

I didn't consider a camera, NFC, or microphone as sensors.

Here is what Apple lists for the iPhone 5S:

• Three-axis gyro
    • Accelerometer
    • Proximity sensor
    • Ambient light sensor
    • Fingerprint identity sensor
  • Reply 17 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Imagine if they could cram all 10 sensors in to a pair of EarPods? Then it wouldn't even need a bluetooth transmitter to your phone, just plug it in in place of your normal exercise EarPods.

But probably it would have to go in to the Lightning port instead to transfer the sensor data. Wasn't there a rumour recently about Apple making Lightning earphones?

• Reply 18 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    andysol wrote: »
    Sounds good in theory, but when are you without your phone?
    hardly ever. But it would be nice if the device wasn't totally useless without being tethered to a phone.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    Imagine if they could cram all 10 sensors in to a pair of EarPods? Then it wouldn't even need a bluetooth transmitter to your phone, just plug it in in place of your normal exercise EarPods.

But probably it would have to go in to the Lightning port instead to transfer the sensor data. Wasn't there a rumour recently about Apple making Lightning earphones?

There was, and I do see a path for certain sensors in the headphone phones for at least your temperature, and perhaps hydration, pulse rate and blood sugar.

PS: I do somewhat agree with [@]schlack[/@] about the sensors reporting to the phone but there has to be some sort of independent use for a wristwork device, like telling time and some other simple features typically found on a watch. An OLED display that is black with an ultra-thin Helvetica Neue dial that would turn on when you raise your wrist would be perfect for me.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

I think this depends on how Apple is approaching the iWatch. If they want to make a standalone device that works without an iPhone,  it won't be very useful without a screen. If they want it to be just an iPhone accessory, then a screen is not as important. It can just record information and send it to the iPhone/iPad.