Rumor: Apple's next iOS 7.1.2 update to fix Mail issues, coming soon

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
A report on Friday claims Apple is nearing release of an iOS update that looks to address an email attachment encryption issue, a lock screen vulnerability and enhanced iBeacon support, among other minor bug fixes.

Source: MacRumors

Citing a source familiar with the upcoming update, MacRumors claims Apple has distributed iOS 7.1.2 to carrier partners for testing ahead of a release sometime within the next two weeks.

The minor point update supposedly contains a number of bug fixes and security patches, including a resolution to an email encryption issue discovered in April. Security researchers proved the flaw, which prevents email attachments to be saved with proper encryption protection, exists in recent iOS releases as far back as iOS 7.0.4.

Following the release of iOS 7.1.1 two months ago, Apple said it was aware of the issue and would soon issue an update to patch the flaw.

In addition to email encryption, the upcoming iOS 7.1.2 is also said to address a problem in which the Mail app fails to download email messages.

Sources also claim the upcoming iOS version will include a fix for an unspecified Lock Screen vulnerability that could allow access to "limited apps." A final minor bug fix deals with data transfer from third-party accessories.

Finally, the purported iOS 7.1.2 update will include enhancements to iBeacon connectivity, but again the report is unclear on specifics.

It can also be speculated that Apple will fix a long-standing problem with iMessage that occurs when a user switches from an iPhone to a non-iOS device without properly disassociating their phone number from Apple's service. In some cases, iMessage will continue to intercept incoming texts and will not forward them to a user's new device. Apple promised to fix the issue in May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    The last sentence should read "In May Apple promised to fix the issue." As written it could easily be misunderstood to mean that Apple promised to have the fix out in May (and therefore a broken promise in mid-June) which isn't the case at all.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Great that Apple is fixing this.

I am hoping that Mail will be able to search emails.

And by that I mean, not just search subject heading and addresses, but rather, text within the body of emails.

• Reply 3 of 13
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    "In addition to email encryption, the upcoming iOS 7.1.2 is also said to address a problem in which the Mail app fails to download email messages."

Does this mean an end to e-mails saying "This message has no content" instead of being downloaded?

That would make me very happy indeed!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rivertriprivertrip Posts: 143member
    It would be great if the new version of iMail could sort messages by date sent instead of date downloaded to the phone.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    On a regular basis my yahoo account will receive a new unread message and show that there is 1 unread message, but then when I actually open up the inbox it's not there. I have to force quit the Mail app and then reopen it and then it actually downloads. I have to do this ALL the time. I really hope this is a bug Apple can fix. My other icloud inboxes work just fine. It's just Yahoo.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hoobitron wrote: »
    On a regular basis my yahoo account will receive a new unread message and show that there is 1 unread message, but then when I actually open up the inbox it's not there. I have to force quit the Mail app and then reopen it and then it actually downloads. I have to do this ALL the time. I really hope this is a bug Apple can fix. My other icloud inboxes work just fine. It's just Yahoo.

MY solution for all Mail being sent to my Mac or iDevice is to simply forward it from those Mail servers to my iCloud account. Set it to be auto read (or deleted, as you see fit) and it shows up immediately on my Mac and iDevices with iCloud's push system. This bypasses all those pesky variances with local protocols.

You can even setup the outgoing mail server (SMTP) for those accounts so it will see the originating mail server and then send it back through them so it's invisible to the recipient.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

• Reply 8 of 13
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Something broken that I don't know about?

• Reply 9 of 13
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Really no problems with Mail at all, but I would appreciate more reliable iTunes WiFi syncing, no idea if that's an iOS or an iTunes problem though.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Something broken that I don't know about?

Unless you're an Apple iOS engineer, yes, it is likely there are things broken in iOS that you don't know about.

As a matter of fact, there are so many broken things, Apple maintains a database to record the details of the various issues, but it's too much for everyone to simply remember.

Moreover, there are issues being uncovered and/or reported on a regular basis.

This is an inherent nature of complex, widely used software like a popular smartphone operating system.

• Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Great that Apple is fixing this.

I am hoping that Mail will be able to search emails.

And by that I mean, not just search subject heading and addresses, but rather, text within the body of emails.

It has been doing that on my iPhone for years.

• Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoobitron View Post

MY solution for all Mail being sent to my Mac or iDevice is to simply forward it from those Mail servers to my iCloud account. Set it to be auto read (or deleted, as you see fit) and it shows up immediately on my Mac and iDevices with iCloud's push system. This bypasses all those pesky variances with local protocols.

You can even setup the outgoing mail server (SMTP) for those accounts so it will see the originating mail server and then send it back through them so it's invisible to the recipient.

What I do too.

• Reply 13 of 13
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

First, I never have any mail issues on iOS with 4-5 of the major services and I rarely use Mail on the Mac, but I don't understand what you are describing here.

In my experience if you forward mail to a different inbox, when replying to that message the 'Reply to' becomes the forwarded address unless you have configured aliases, but I at least, have not discovered how to do that on iOS. I can't speak for others but in our case, our SMTP server does not accept direct messages from any source except the spam filter server. It is also common practice for SMTP servers to be configured so that it only accepts email from within its domain or that it requires a username and password, or SSL. I really don't see how you would have much success sending replies directly to the sender's SMTP server especially if it requires a reverse DNS look up.

For most broadband service providers the MX record is not the same as the SMTP server and they only accept out of domain/network IP email on the MX server.