Weather Channel providing Apple more detailed data for iOS 8 Weather app than Yahoo did

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That location looks like it is just west of Decatur ;)

Ha! Just south, actually. Trick is, which one?

• Reply 22 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You want to build water pipelines to "fix" the problem of too many people living in a desert, in order to be able to properly water your lawns?

The problem is more like too many people living on the Earth. I don't live in the desert. I live 4 miles from the ocean. The lack of rainfall is not due to people living in the desert, although that causes other ecological problems. I was simply stating that it would be nice to have places that are flooded to somehow be able to move the water to where there is a shortage. I'm not suggesting that people have green lawns in the desert, just that the native Joshua trees in Joshua State Park don't become extinct due to lack of rain. In Southern California we used to get lots of rain in the winter. Last two winters, well... we haven't had any winters.

• Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That location looks like it is just west of Decatur ;)

Ha! Just south, actually. Trick is, which one?

Now I finally know where 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza actually is. ;)

• Reply 24 of 68

Anybody who believes that a nine day weather forecast has any meaning whatsoever probably voted for Michele Bachmann, believes Dick Cheney, and owns many, many bridges.

• Reply 25 of 68
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    'Winter Storm Bollux Alert' - the weather channel/comcast are the evil doer's who decided by themselves to name and brand storms...hype and noise. Proudly turning weather reporting into entertainment - much like what they did with news journalism!
  • Reply 26 of 68
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member

I read in another site that Yahoo's weather app got its info from the Weather Chanel. So the data won't be changing, but more features will appear than Yahoo was providing.

• Reply 27 of 68
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Sure would be cool if Apple could contract with WeatherUnderground Classic (not the mobile app). no matter what you are looking for it's by far the best content and has the greatest accuracy. In fact it is more comprehensive and accurate than the weather that FAA provides to airlines.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Good riddance to Yahoo service!!! My native Weather App would stay outdated for days, most likely because some failure on the server backend.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

We definitely need some severe weather here in California. I'd tear out my landscaping and put in drought tolerant plants but the association and the city do not permit that. It is getting to the point where I feel guilty about my water usage but it is already as low as I can go and still maintain the garden. In the US we have gas and oil pipelines crossing the country. I wish we had the same ability to move water. Some places in the mid-west are flooded and other places like the southwest are completely dried up. We haven't had any measurable rain here in a year.

The drought is getting worse here in California. These morons running the state should have been conserving the water in the reservoirs. Instead, they don't do anything and the majority of the reservoirs are nearly empty now. I'm hoping the predictions of a strong El Nino this winter turn out to be true. 

• Reply 30 of 68
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You want to build water pipelines to "fix" the problem of too many people living in a desert, in order to be able to properly water your lawns?

You comment reminds me of an old Sam Kinison bit.

• Reply 31 of 68
    Good. Yahoo! has never been reliable at all.

Notification Center in Yosemite uses The Weather Channel, but Dashboard still uses Yahoo!… 
    Maybe at a later point?
    arbiter8 wrote: »
    I sure hope the add the radar feature that is in the Weather Channel app. That's the one thing the iOS weather app is missing and the only reason I keep the separate Weather Channel app.
    yeah, most get the app/have it open is safari always just for that.

willrob wrote: »
    I read in another site that Yahoo's weather app got its info from the Weather Chanel. So the data won't be changing, but more features will appear than Yahoo was providing.
    Did you read the article, it is, but weather channel updates more frequently as well for better data.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    (1) I prefer Yahoo's [I][B]Weather[/B][/I]! app. Flickr photos and Doppler radar from my selected cities, cute little windmills and a graphic of sun & moon phases - what's not to love?

(2) everyone [I][B]talks[/B][/I] about the weather but nobody ever [I][B]does[/B][/I] anything about it.

Weather [B]control[/B] - where's the app for that?

I saw that Mel Gibson flick. They used to do it with the space shuttle. And the moon.... why does the same side of it always face the earth?

To quote Jesse Pinkman, "Magnets, bit*hes!'"
  • Reply 33 of 68
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    john.b wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyts7L6Hwg

Kinison was a genius...
  • Reply 34 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyts7L6Hwg

Loved his pervy flasher get up.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    mstone wrote: »
    We definitely need some severe weather here in California. I'd tear out my landscaping and put in drought tolerant plants but the association and the city do not permit that. It is getting to the point where I feel guilty about my water usage but it is already as low as I can go and still maintain the garden. In the US we have gas and oil pipelines crossing the country. I wish we had the same ability to move water. Some places in the mid-west are flooded and other places like the southwest are completely dried up. We haven't had any measurable rain here in a year.

Err ... I think you already have severe weather in California. It's just that it's heat and drought, not floods.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    konqerror wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Something like 7% of all California freshwater usage is used for landscaping. 77% is used for agriculture. Moving water is ridiculously energy intensive. 20% of total </span>
    electrical<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> power is used to move water in California through things like the CA Aqueduct.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">The logical thing is instead of moving tons of water from wet areas, you move the finished food. But try to explain that to "local farming" global warming tree-huggers.</span>

The logical thing to do it to treat water as the essential resource it is and not be so obscenely profligate with it. Florida's domestic water use boggles the brain.

And transporting "finished food" will be by trucks, which use fossil fuels, which add yet more CO2, which exacerbates global warming, which intensifies the droughts which causes the problem in the first place. Mother Nature sticks her two fingers up at sleight-of-hand like that.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Yahoo! Weather in the UK Is a total joke. Almost anytime of the year when I look at the app - which looks beautiful - it predicts a thunderstorm. There have been about three where I live in the last three years! :rolleyes:

Shame as I love thunderstorms ...
  • Reply 38 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This will make Marissa very mad.

You posted the worst photo of Marissa you could find? What's up with all the Marissa bashing anyway? She's done as good a job as anyone can expect since she's been at Yahoo, and has released several very slick and high quality apps, not to mention the Flickr improvements. 

• Reply 39 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Great answer! I'm wrong.

It's stunning how odd and refreshing this statement looks, as it's SO rare for anyone to admit they're wrong on the internet. 
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Something like 7% of all California freshwater usage is used for landscaping. 77% is used for agriculture. Moving water is ridiculously energy intensive. 20% of total electrical power is used to move water in California through things like the CA Aqueduct.

I know it is just a 'pipe' dream. Moving water from flood areas would never work because it comes too fast. It would require massive drainage projects to capture it fast enough to help mitigate the damage. It just makes me crazy to see so much unwanted water and snow on the TV news when California needs it so badly. 20% electricity cost is nothing compared to having all vegetation die and having huge fire fighting costs.

The logical thing is instead of moving tons of water from wet areas, you move the finished food. But try to explain that to "local farming" global warming tree-huggers.

We just need rain. It has nothing to do with political ideology. The notion of forsaking California as a dispensable food producing region and instead trucking in finished food from elsewhere is completely naive. California is responsible for around 15% of the total US agricultural production and much of their products are not produced anywhere else.

Edit: Found this

Ranks first in total agricultural production.

Ranks first in total crops production.

Ranks second in total livestock & livestock product production.

Ranks first in production of almonds (100% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of avocados (96% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of broccoli (92% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of celery (93% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of dairy products (20% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of grapes (91% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of greenhouse/nursery (21% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of hay (14% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of lemons (89% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of lettuce (71% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of onions (31% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of peaches (54% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of pistachio nuts (100% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of plums (97% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of strawberries (83% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of tomatoes (53% of U.S. production).

Ranks first in production of walnuts (100% of U.S. production).