Microsoft to retire older Skype for Mac versions, force mandatory upgrades

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcallows View Post

and it will now be called microsoft messenger...

...or, given its legendary freezing and MS' current focus on all thing Google, "Hangups".....

;)

• Reply 22 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I use Skype all the time. Works fine. I have Skype numbers, account balance for calling minutes, etc. Very useful app. I also use Facetime with friends and family who I know have Apple devices, but a lot of my overseas business contacts are on Windows and use Skype, so having MS continue to update and improve it is important for me.

• Reply 23 of 59
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

Here's one product that won't need a mandatory upgrade...

My middle finger.

Bite me MS!

• Reply 24 of 59
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    When M$ bought Skype, I feared this day was coming.

So what other "cross platform" voice and video App is there?

So much for PPC Skype, I suspect early Intel Mac 10.6 will soon go to history as well.

Yes Skype on my iPhone is great to avoid huge roaming charges.
    The best deal for me is a simple Skype account for about $14, which lasts forever if you use it at least every 3 months.
    Skype calls to phones almost everywhere in the world are only about 4¢ per minute.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Skype absolutely sucks, always has. Even voice calls are unreliable and if poor quality. But worst of all, I live overseas and have a US number so clients can easily contact me. The recent iPhone update is incompatible with voice mail!!! WTF Microsucks, why would you ever release this POS!!!???
  • Reply 26 of 59
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    They paid $8.5Bn for Skype? What multiple of earnings was that?

And Apple built FaceTime in house...I get that Skype does a few more things, but that says a lot I think...
  • Reply 27 of 59
    n0b0dy wrote: »
    That means the ppc version will also stop working. Without getting an update. :(
    How about that. Obsolete tech is being tossed aside like garbage it is.

You either get with the times or you get left behind.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    mstone wrote: »
    I use Skype all the time. Works fine. I have Skype numbers, account balance for calling minutes, etc. Very useful app. I also use Facetime with friends and family who I know have Apple devices, but a lot of my overseas business contacts are on Windows and use Skype, so having MS continue to update and improve it is important for me.

Works on windows, Mac and iOS. Lots of people I need to communicate with have it. It's very popular in Asia.

It almost always works for me. I do tons of free conference calls with it.

Some of you whiners would complain if MS gave away $20 bills, and would buy Ferrero Rocher made from used cat litter, if Apple told you it was "cool"...
  • Reply 29 of 59
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    n0b0dy wrote: »
    That means the ppc version will also stop working. Without getting an update. :(

There is no sense to continue supporting hardware that no longer has a user-base. As a software engineer, I have had to make calls to drop support for Mac OS versions and hardware because maintaining compatibility had no ROI due to a small user-base and was a support nightmare.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It is a popular app. Maybe it will make people update their OS X. If they put it on the App Store, people will have to update to 10.6 at least.

• Reply 31 of 59
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    They already don't allow the 2.x versions to do video. So I use the newer version only when I need video. Otherwise I stick to the 2.7 client because it takes up much less screen real estate.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    vancevance Posts: 4member
    People are missing the obvious. They are forcing the upgrade because the older clients do not have the NSA backdoor.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This is all obviously some plan to capitalize on Microsofts domination of the mobile market ... oh wait a minute ...
  • Reply 34 of 59

Can I use FaceTime to contact clients who use Windows PCs or Android tablets?

• Reply 35 of 59
    mateus109 wrote: »

Given FaceTime is not supported on the most popular desktop and mobile operating systems nationally or worldwide, I have not had much use for it myself. I use Skype myself as an alternative to Ventrillo and TeamSpeak for online gaming.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

You should be able to when Apple open sources it as they promised.

• Reply 37 of 59
    mstone wrote: »
    You should be able to when Apple open sources it as they promised.

Given that was promised four years ago, and by somebody now deceased, I would not hold my breath that FaceTime becoming an open standard is any longer on Apple's radar.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Given FaceTime is not supported on the most popular… …mobile operating systems nationally…

You’ll want to check yourself before you wreck yourself. :p

• Reply 39 of 59
    You’ll want to check yourself before you wreck yourself. :p

*Double-checks* And I am correct. Unless you live in Japan, TS.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

*Double-checks* And I am correct.

FaceTime isn’t available on iOS? Okay…