Rumor: Foxconn to hire 100K workers for July 'iPhone 6' production, Pegatron gets 30% of orders

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
A report on Monday claims Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn will supposedly hire some 100,000 people in a ramp up toward July production of the next-generation iPhone, while secondary supplier Pegatron is also preparing to increase recruitment efforts after netting a 30 percent share of orders.

Alleged 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups. | Source: TechSmartt via YouTube

Citing sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, Taiwan's Economic Daily News reported that Foxconn's 100,000-person hiring spree will result in a 10 percent boost to the company's iPhone workforce as compared to past production of the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s.

Together with Pegatron's recruitment efforts, manufacturing of Apple's iPhone 6 is set to drive the largest job creation boom mainland China has seen in recent memory, the people said.

In addition to the mass recruitment campaign, sources claim Foxconn is planning to make massive expansions to two production lines in an effort to meet anticipated high demand for the upcoming handset line. Foxconn is thought to be responsible for the bulk of Apple's iPhone 6 orders, with some reports saying the company will handle all assembly of a much-rumored 5.5-inch "phablet" version.

As for Pegatron, today's report claims the supplier will handle some 30 percent of orders, a figure consistent with recent rumors. It is unknown if the share is representative of a specific iPhone 6 version or the lineup as a whole.

Industry watchers expect Apple to release two iPhone models this year with larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens. A number of supposed iPhone 6 mockups have been making the rounds, purportedly showing near final designs of the handset duo.

Rumblings that Pegatron would gain a foothold in Apple's premium handset assembly business have been circulating for months, though the exact share of orders meted out to the firm has yet to be established. For example, a report in May said the manufacturer would take around 15 percent of orders for the iPhone 6.

Both Foxconn and Pegatron are to begin production of the next-gen iPhone in July ahead of a third-quarter release, sources said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    The camera/speaker/sensor/mic layout in the top bezel of the mockups are really ugly.

The distances between components also looks different between the two mockups.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    That is insane!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

The camera/speaker/sensor/mic layout in the top bezel of the mockups are really ugly.

The distances between components also looks different between the two mockups.

I'm hoping for a redesign too. But if the dummies, (which these mockups are based on, I assume) are being sent out to enclosure manufacturers, the layout of stuff should at least be locked. I'm still hoping for a tighter layout though.

• Reply 4 of 14
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    How much of what we are seeing in 'mock-ups' is just that, mock versions of what really is to be shipped.

Apple is big enough and scary enough to ensure we really don't know what is coming. Every thing else is mere FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

Roll on Cupertino !!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    As much as I don't want summer to end, I can't wait for the new iPhone to come out. So sick of seeing stories about dummy cases, leaked parts, supply chain chatter. And especially people bitching about the bezels when everyone and their mother knows the home button isn't going away (hello Touch ID) and Apple will never release a phone with asymmetrical bezels. Just make it stop already.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A report on Monday claims Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn will supposedly hire some 100,000 people in a ramp up toward July production of the next-generation iPhone...

Time for another Mike Daisey one man show I guess.

• Reply 7 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    ...Mike Daisey...

Scum of the earth. Pathetic guy, zero morale. Asking $80 for telling lies.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Scum of the earth. Pathetic guy, zero morale. Asking $80 for telling lies.

He turned out to be the poster child for the current tech media reported currently in the pay of Scamsung though. Other than PED and DED it's been hard to find any news not slanted against Apple in the last two years. He just showed them how not to do it ...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

>>For example, a report in May said the manufacturer would take around...<<

Apparently AI could use an infusion of labor to help finish sentences?;)

I dunno, I suppose 100k new workers is impressive,

but I sort of hope none of the brand new ones makes my new phone...

Automation aside, I like to think of it as benefiting from fairly skilled labor!

• Reply 10 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    He turned out to be the poster child for the current tech media reported currently in the pay of Scamsung though. Other than PED and DED it's been hard to find any news not slanted against Apple in the last two years. He just showed them how not to do it ...

Good point. And a sad truth.

PS You could truncate your Apple gear sig by simply stating "one of each"
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

As much as I don't want summer to end, I can't wait for the new iPhone to come out. So sick of seeing stories about dummy cases, leaked parts, supply chain chatter. And especially people bitching about the bezels when everyone and their mother knows the home button isn't going away (hello Touch ID) and Apple will never release a phone with asymmetrical bezels. Just make it stop already.

News flash: you don't have to read stories about dummy cases, leaked parts and supply chain chatter if you don't want to.

• Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good point. And a sad truth.

PS You could truncate your Apple gear sig by simply stating "one of each"

He could; but then, we wouldn't get the benefit of seeing his trophy-case, and he wouldn't get the benefit of showing it off. ????

• Reply 13 of 14
    I was trying to imagine how difficult it would be to add 100K worker to a factory here in the USA... and do it in about 6 weeks.

First you'd have trouble hiring the Human Resource people to interview that many people... and how many people would you have to interview to find 100K that are qualified and willing to relocate? I'm guessing interviewing like 400K people taking a half a year at least. Then there's the impact on the city that would support that kind of influx of people. Remember this isn't like a football game where they show up and leave in a day or two... they will be hanging around for most of a year. Where will they live, eat and recreate?? I'm betting it will take a year or more to build out the infrastructure to support that kind of increase.

I can't imagine it being possible to handle such a thing in the USA if we plan it 5 years in advance... much less in only 6 weeks.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Wish I had 100,000 workers to make my dinner and bring me my pipe and slippers.