FaceTime isn’t available on iOS? Okay…

Nobody claimed such thing.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

*sigh*

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Given FaceTime is not supported on the most popular… …mobile operating systems nationally…

• Reply 43 of 59
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member

Hate to say this, but maybe there is a actual tech reason.  All for not liking windows and all, but not needing to hate the product just because MS is involved.  Skype is my goto video tool still.

• Reply 44 of 59
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    FaceTime isn’t available on iOS? Okay…

It would depend on the nation.

http://m.ibtimes.com/android-vs-ios-whats-most-popular-mobile-operating-system-your-country-1464892
  • Reply 45 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Before Skype, in fact looong before, there was Bell Labs Picture Phone running on a simple pair of twisted copper wires :wow:
    http://wedophones.com/TheBellSystem/pdf/picturephone.pdf
  • Reply 46 of 59
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Why don't you two stop quibble and simply put up your number, it would save your bandwidth 

• Reply 47 of 59
    Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post

Why don't you two stop quibble and simply put up your number, it would save your bandwidth 

Mine’s 27. What’s yours?

• Reply 48 of 59
    I have not use Skype for two years
  • Reply 49 of 59
    11001011100101 Posts: 12member
    When Microshite bought Skype, they turned it into pooh.
    Actually, everything they touch is turned into pooh.
    Why don't you make Simon Cowell the new CEO too. Twats.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Ignore him, it looks like he's making a pedantic point that requires you to read "popular" as pertaining to customer sat, instead of volume of sales.  Which isn't the common understanding, the popular kids at school are the ones that have the most friends, not the ones that have the closest knit group of best friends.

• Reply 51 of 59
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Free for life in Yosemite + iOS 8...

Why pay for anything else?

I don't think you understand the Yosemite and iOS 8 features. What is really happening is ad hock bluetooth connection between your phone and Mac, just like when you pair your iPhone to your car stereo or phone integration.

This allows you to make and receive calls on your Mac (basically Mac acts as speaker phone for your iPhone), but you are still using your cellular service and plan to make the calls.

So, basically this in no way competes with Skype. Again, with Skype I get unlimited world calling for $12 a month. Try getting a plan like that from your cell phone company. It doesn't exist.

• Reply 52 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mario wrote: »
    So, basically this in no way competes with Skype. Again, with Skype I get unlimited world calling for $12 a month. Try getting a plan like that from your cell phone company. It doesn't exist.

Perhaps you didn't mean to use the term "in no way competes" with the unspecified pronoun this and general use of Skype, but FaceTime does directly compete with Skype for the primary service that most Skype customers use and the original service Skype offered, it's the Skype To Go-like feature that uses VoIP to route to and from a local PSTN which facilitates for low local calling rates from anywhere in the world that Apple doesn't compete (and probably never will).
  • Reply 53 of 59
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Perhaps you didn't mean to use the term "in no way competes" with the general term Skype with the unspecified pronoun this, but FaceTime does directly compete with Skype for the primary service that most Skype customers use and the original service of Skype, it's the Skype To Go-like feature that uses VoIP to route to and from a local PSTN which then allows for low local rates that Apple doesn't compete with Skype (and probably never will).

And I
    Actually for most UK customers on the various networks the Europe roaming charges are to be dropped this summer so calls to Europe will be the same price as local calls, another nail in the Skype coffin. That's if I understand. Many are doing it now before they have to.
    http://tinyurl.com/lncxtr2
  • Reply 54 of 59

In the good old days of regulated telecommunications, no phone company would have gotten away with "obsoleting" consumer's telephones only a few years after introduction. Heck, 40-year old traditional handsets are still quite functional. Microsoft et al are not giving me any confidence whatsoever that their system is going to be reliable in the long term, because they can't even make it work for two years, without requiring major upgrades by consumers. 

• Reply 55 of 59
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mine’s 27. What’s yours?

I have no numbers, I'm not trying to argue. 27 %?

• Reply 56 of 59
    Even though I only use it for IM, this is the last straw for Skype. I knew when M$ bought them out, it would go donwnhill fast and I was dead on right, it has. There's a reason I still run version 2.x, because it's not the bloatware that the newer versions are and it sits compactly in the margin of my screen while the new ones take up twice the space to display half the information. (Must be the equivalent of the phones with big buttons for old people). The only real reason I kept it for so long was I had a small credit still and it came in really handy when I got stuck in a diaster zone on vacation and need to contact home.

It's time to move to something standards-based anyway!
  • Reply 57 of 59

Well they have done it.  I was faced with the message that I had to upgrade when i went to make a call this morning.  Only option was to upgrade or force quit the application.  That is bad software right from the start...

The reason I have never upgraded past the 2.8 version is simply down to the UI.  The current single window UI is absolutely terrible.  I use the tear off windows and intuitive drag and drop capabilities of 2.8 to be able to see several concurrent chats side by side as well as having a voice call underway.  It is a perfect environment for conference calls with a back chat channel.

Anyway I figured that MS must be using something in the application to trigger the block.  Turns out there is a very simple work around.  Open the Info~.plist file and change the Bundle version to 6.19.0.442 and the application will continue working just fine.  If you have to ask how to do this then I would suggest you don't do it.  Doubtless MS will find some other way to force the upgrade but at least for now I can still work effectively.

Another tip is that you can have multiple versions of Skype on your computer, just run the version you want to use.  I renamed my 2.8 version as Skype2.8 and use that most of the time.  If I want to make a video call to an iPad running the latest version of Skype for iPad then I have to use the current version of Skype on my Mac.  

• Reply 58 of 59
    defaultdefault Posts: 1member

Hang-on for a minute here, since when is it legal to force an automatic code upgrade of any program on a private users laptop?

I was using Skype to call a mobile number for which I may add I am paying for the service and I was continually disconnected and the next thing I know this screen pops up telling me that my skype is already upgrading??? I DIDN'T AUTHORIZE THAT?

This has to be illegal! 

• Reply 59 of 59
    Originally Posted by default View Post

This has to be illegal! 

Automatic upgrades? Nope. And an update (manually applied) that automatically turns on automatic upgrades? Also nope.

But something automatically upgrading without user input and without a setting existing in the previous version to have done so is suspect.

Leave it to Microsoft, though!