Google-owned Nest to acquire connected security camera firm Dropcam for $555M

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 156
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd guess the terminology came from the team of lawyers who were filing the lawsuit (if it wasn't made up by your article's author), used to cast the defendant in the worst light possible as lawyers are typically expected to do. It does not say Google was selling your personal data to 3rd parties. Didn't you question your belief when you couldn't find anything to factually support it other than lawyer-speak? If Google really was selling personal information the lawyers would have come right out and plainly said so. That would be one huge industry-changing lawsuit worth untold billions. No beating around the bush with a vague term like "by-products".

If profiting off data by being the conduit to advertisers is the same as selling that data it makes Apple guilty of it too doesn't it? How do you think iAds get to their target audience? With Apple's assistance of course and derived from user data they've collected about you along with other Apple customers.

In the meantime while you obsess over Google collecting and selling personal information you ignore the companies who really are doing so, Companies like Acxiom (enabled here at AI) and Epsilon and even credit reporting agencies like Experian that make a living from the sale of data. If you really believe that Google delivering targeted ads while keeping the data that enables it under lock and key should be a primary concern you're being incredibly naive.

Look beyond AI and do a little research of your own. With a simple search like "Worst dat brokers" you'll find sources of information like these:

https://www.propublica.org/article/everything-we-know-about-what-data-brokers-know-about-you

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-data-brokers-selling-your-personal-information/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/12/19/data-broker-was-selling-lists-of-rape-alcoholism-and-erectile-dysfunction-sufferers/

Pay attention as you read too. Not once will you find any of them claiming Google is involved in selling personal data. Not one of them. It's a imaginary story coming from those with an agenda to claim they sell your personal information. Google is not the enemy you should be watching if you're worried someone is selling details of your health, finances and family. Here's 20 that really are selling you out.

http://readwrite.com/2012/04/26/here-are-20-companies-who-sell-your-data-how-to-stop-them#awesm=~oI1nrxf5ycY6ea

You may not want to share any information with Google for any number of reasons including having no reason at all. Selling that personal data to the highest bidder shouldn't be one of them as it's imaginary FUD.

Apple is not doing this?

1. Street View: not just street mapping. After being sued by 38 states, Google admitted last March that its weird-looking cars outfitted with roof cameras facing four directions were not just taking pictures; they were collecting data from computers inside homes and structures, including “passwords, e-mails and other personal information from unsuspecting computer users,” the New York Times reported.

?Is Apple doing this?

But last fall, U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh held that Google never told Gmail users that Google would create personal profiles and target users with ads. Nor did people who are not Gmail users, but who were writing to Gmail addresses, agree to let Google collect and parse their messages.

Did Apple do this?

3. Google Safari: not just hunting WiFi. Google’s court record includes more than just grabbing and snatching data. In early 2012, theWall Street Journal broke the story that its software was bypassing security settings for Apple devices using the Safari browser. “Google hated this [Safari’s anti-tracking features] and used a secret code to bypass this security setting,” the blog GoogleExposed wrote. “This exposed millions of Safari users to tracking for months without them even knowing about it.” In August 2012, the Federal Trade Commission fined Google $22.5 million, its largest civil fine, noting that Google also had violated previous privacy agreements.

Is Apple doing this?

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2014/03/13/26google.h33.html?cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS

• Reply 142 of 156
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    There are plenty of webcams out there that will do what DropCam does. I have two D-Link cams that I can connect to remotely over the Internet. They can also be set to record to a dedicated security monitor device, a server or NAS box. Not sure why any company would pay $555M for it.
  • Reply 143 of 156
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Apple is not doing this?

1. Street View: not just street mapping. After being sued by 38 states, Google admitted last March that its weird-looking cars outfitted with roof cameras facing four directions were not just taking pictures; they were collecting data from computers inside homes and structures, including “passwords, e-mails and other personal information from unsuspecting computer users,” the New York Times reported.

?Is Apple doing this?

But last fall, U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh held that Google never told Gmail users that Google would create personal profiles and target users with ads. Nor did people who are not Gmail users, but who were writing to Gmail addresses, agree to let Google collect and parse their messages.

Did Apple do this?

3. Google Safari: not just hunting WiFi. Google’s court record includes more than just grabbing and snatching data. In early 2012, theWall Street Journal broke the story that its software was bypassing security settings for Apple devices using the Safari browser. “Google hated this [Safari’s anti-tracking features] and used a secret code to bypass this security setting,” the blog GoogleExposed wrote. “This exposed millions of Safari users to tracking for months without them even knowing about it.” In August 2012, the Federal Trade Commission fined Google $22.5 million, its largest civil fine, noting that Google also had violated previous privacy agreements.

Is Apple doing this?

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2014/03/13/26google.h33.html?cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS

Apple just price fixes books and employee wages as well as hold your text messages hostage if you try to leave iOS. 

Is Google doing this?

Apple and Google both use less than ethical methods.  Apple isn't brought up with privacy concerns because they don't deal in services nearly as much as Google.  

• Reply 144 of 156
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mistercow wrote: »
    Apple just price fixes books and employee wages as well as hold your text messages hostage if you try to leave iOS. 
    Is Google doing this?

Apple and Google both use less than ethical methods.  Apple isn't brought up with privacy concerns because they don't deal in services nearly as much as Google.  

Apple didn't fix prices. Google was also involved in the anti-poaching lawsuit.

Googles probably reads all your text messages.
  • Reply 145 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Is Google doing this?

I thought we were talking about privacy issues?

"Apple isn't brought up with privacy concerns because they don't deal in services nearly as much as Google."

WTF does this have to do with them collecting private data from people's wifi, bypassing users security settings in an application that is not theirs, collecting data from individuals that do not use their Gmail service, collecting data from student emails? They have shown that their company culture seems to lean toward, let's do whatever we want until we get caught.

• Reply 146 of 156
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Of course not. Even though Apple does the exact same thing, they do it with higher standards.

A classier, more sophisticated devil, talks with a British accent, walks with a golden leafed inlayed polished walking stick made entirely of Judas's spine, smokes the ashes of the fallen using a cigarette extender, wears the most expensive suits tailored and designed by Caraceni in Milan using only the finest skins from the sacrificed. :p 

• Reply 147 of 156
    Quote:

I thought we were talking about privacy issues?

"Apple isn't brought up with privacy concerns because they don't deal in services nearly as much as Google."

WTF does this have to do with them collecting private data from people's wifi, bypassing users security settings in an application that is not theirs, collecting data from individuals that do not use their Gmail service, collecting data from student emails? They have shown that their company culture seems to lean toward, let's do whatever we want until we get caught.

You listed multiple allegations against Google and then stated "Is Apple doing this?" to show how much more of a moral standard Apple has.

Companies that make different products will not necessarily have the same ethical issues.  A software company probably isn't going face allegations of child labor and sweatshops that a clothing company might.  It doesn't make the software company morally better because they may be facing allegations of corporate espionage or patent infringement or anti-poaching instead of labor violations.

Apple may not be painted with violating privacy issues as much as Google because they simply don't deal in that area as much.  I'll make the comparison that there were unfair worker related issues at Foxconn manufacturing plants which Apple gives business to.  Is Google doing this? No, but it doesn't mean Google is a better company in terms of morals.  

• Reply 148 of 156
    Quote:

You listed multiple allegations against Google and then stated "Is Apple doing this?" to show how much more of a moral standard Apple has.

Companies that make different products will not necessarily have the same ethical issues.  A software company probably isn't going face allegations of child labor and sweatshops that a clothing company might.  It doesn't make the software company morally better because they may be facing allegations of corporate espionage or patent infringement or anti-poaching instead of labor violations.

Apple may not be painted with violating privacy issues as much as Google because they simply don't deal in that area as much.  I'll make the comparison that there were unfair worker related issues at Foxconn manufacturing plants which Apple gives business to.  Is Google doing this? No, but it doesn't mean Google is a better company in terms of morals.  

What total nonsense. What I listed were not allegations. They are facts.

Collecting WiFi data - they were caught & admitted to it.

Bypassing Safari's privacy settings - again caught had to pay a fine.

Non Gmail users & collecting data - Yup.

Student emails - caught & admitted to it.

There is a pattern of behavior here. You seem to want to ignore that. That's fine. That's up to you.

I don't have to ignore it. That's up to me.

• Reply 149 of 156
    splif wrote: »
    What total nonsense. What I listed were not allegations. They are facts.
    Collecting WiFi data - they were caught & admitted to it.
    Bypassing Safari's privacy settings - again caught had to pay a fine.
    Non Gmail users & collecting data - Yup.
    Student emails - caught & admitted to it.
    There is a pattern of behavior here. You seem to want to ignore that. That's fine. That's up to you.
    I don't have to ignore it. That's up to me.

Apple convicted of price fixing.
    Apple settled anti poaching case
    Apple convicted of storing GPS location
    Shrug.
  • Reply 150 of 156
    Quote:

Google utilise cheap Chinese workers to expand and deepen market influence. You're naïve if you think different.

• Reply 151 of 156
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Which they didn’t.

Of which absolutely nothing was done with the data.

Shrug 

Yes, you don’t comprehend anything in the slightest. We know already. Google is not Apple. Get over it. How someone could protect that nightmare of a company and still sleep at night is beyond me.

• Reply 152 of 156
    Quote:

Apple settled anti poaching case

Shrug.

You seem to have a problem with definitions of words. (convicted, allegations)

"Apple was not convicted of price fixing they reached a settlement.

Apple has denied breaking any antitrust laws. We'll see.

Apple settled anti poaching case - So did Google & others

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403308,00.asp

Show me where Apple was convicted in the legal system of this.

• Reply 153 of 156
    Quote:

You seem to have a problem with definitions of words. (convicted, allegations)

"Apple was not convicted of price fixing they reached a settlement.

Apple has denied breaking any antitrust laws. We'll see.

Apple settled anti poaching case - So did Google & others

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403308,00.asp

Show me where Apple was convicted in the legal system of this.

I believe they settled a civil claim for ebook price fixing.  However a federal court ruled them guilty.

Storing GPS location data - They were fined in South Korea. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/03/us-apple-korea-idUSTRE7721O720110803.  So you are correct, convicted is not quite accurate regarding the location data storing.

• Reply 154 of 156
    Quote:

I believe they settled a civil claim for ebook price fixing.  However a federal court ruled them guilty.

Storing GPS location data - They were fined in South Korea. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/03/us-apple-korea-idUSTRE7721O720110803.  So you are correct, convicted is not quite accurate regarding the location data storing.

Storing GPS location data -you seem to leave Google out of this.

Here is an article on Apple's latest privacy policy if you or anyone else is interested. It is not the same as Google's.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2366921/why-apple-really-cares-about-your-privacy.html

Apple's official privacy policy:

http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/

• Reply 155 of 156
    Quote:

Storing GPS location data -you seem to leave Google out of this.

Here is an article on Apple's latest privacy policy if you or anyone else is interested. It is not the same as Google's.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2366921/why-apple-really-cares-about-your-privacy.html

Apple's official privacy policy:

http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/

From Apple:

Personal information will only be shared by Apple to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.

From Google:

"We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies: With your consent, With domain administrators, For external processing, For legal reasons. "

(There is additional text describing each circumstance that I removed for length's sake)

"We may share aggregatednon-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services."

It would seem they only share aggregated data and nothing that would individually identify someone. Doesn't seem much different.

• Reply 156 of 156
    I think that's a good thing that Google/Nest acquired Dropcam, I guess they will put more effort in R&D and finally come up with a solution to the outdoor problem of the Dropcam. From now on I'm using an outdoor case from Dropcases but I am really looking forward to the outdoor Dropcam.