Oops: Samsung cheers "Galaxy 11" sponsored soccer star Landon Donovan who wasn't in the World Cup ma

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Despite sponsoring soccer teams--and funding a "Galaxy 11" fantasy league designed to associate its products with alien-battling futbol stars--Samsung didn't seem to be aware of the U.S. lineup of athletes playing in this weekend's World Cup match when it sent out yet another embarrassing tweet.

Samsung Landon Donovan World Cup

Yesterday, Samsung tweeted out "Best of luck to Landon Donovan & the USA Team #Galaxy11," along with a photo of the U.S. soccer player wearing futuristic armor from the company's Galaxy 11 ad campaign and holding a Galaxy S5 phone.

However, Donovan wasn't playing for the U.S. team because he didn't make the cut for World Cup team weeks prior to this weekend's game, despite being regarded as one of the best soccer players in the U.S.

The fact that Donovan wouldn't be playing for U.S. World Cup team was so well known among soccer fans and sports enthusiasts in general that Electronic Arts promoted its "2014 World Cup" video game with an ad comically portraying Donovan playing soccer at home on TV, where he wins.

This all happened before

Last fall, Samsung launched its Galaxy 11 campaign portraying a variety of soccer starts "led to victory" by a catalog of Samsung products that include the company's Note 3 phablet, Gear watch, Note tablet and S4 Zoom camera phone.

Samsung Galaxy11

The viral advertising campaign kicked off as an elaborate publicity stunt involving actors dressed as aliens appearing at games, but ran into a snag when Franz Beckenbauer, the legendary leader of Samsung's fantasy team, tweeted out the next segment of the Galaxy 11 story... from his iPhone.

Galaxy 11 oops

Samsung's previous sponsorships of various athletes and celebrities have similarly run into issues where the people being paid continued to use iPhones. That included Spanish tennis player David Ferrer, who tweeted his satisfaction with his Galaxy S4 and that he was "configuring S Health on my new #GalaxyS4 to help with training @SamsungMobile," all via Twitter while que contento estoy con mi iPhone.

Samsung's promotional efforts to pose celebrities next to its products has frequently encountered embarrassing turns, such as when Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres tweeted before, during and after the event from her iPhone, despite engaging in theatrical use of a Samsung product on stage.

Last year alone, Samsung spent $14 billion on marketing, a figure that investors have targeted as extravagantly excessive. But even as the company works to reduce its marketing expenses, Samsung is struggling with expensive sponsorships where celebrities have put their free Galaxy back in the box to use iPhones.

At the last Summer Olympics, Samsung signed an "exclusive agreement with David Beckham to be its global brand ambassador for the London 2012 Olympic Games," but Beckham was, embarrassingly for Samsung, just spotted using his iPhone 5s at the Super Bowl.

Beckam iPhone

Some of Samsung's celebrities are actually using the company's products.

In March, Samsung sponsor LeBron James tweeted out a different sort of message when he complained from his Galaxy Note, "My phone just erased everything it had in it and rebooted. One of the sickest feelings I've ever had in my life!!!"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Not really newsworthy....
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Like Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5 at Heathrow Airport: sell out.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I met a guy, very high up in Microsoft last week. I asked if he used Microsoft phones, he swiftly responded "like ****" and pulled out an iPhone :)
  • Reply 4 of 44
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Not really newsworthy....

I can spot a DED hit piece just by the title.

• Reply 5 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Perhaps they thought that since Donovan was under contract for x many media spots and tweets, etc. the pluses of running an ad with name recognition beats not having any presence at all. The tweet didn't really say Donavan was on the team, just good luck to both. I know it sounds like a stretch but these ad obligations get finalized months in advance. They probably all know he is not on the team but they don't care, the ad is already paid for so send it.

• Reply 6 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    okay this is getting old, at this point if Samsung is not screwing up someway it not normal.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps they thought that since Donovan was under contract for x many media spots and tweets, etc. the pluses of running an ad with name recognition beats not having any presence at all. The tweet didn't really say Donavan was on the team, just good luck to both. I know it sounds like a stretch but these ad obligations get finalized months in advance. They probably all know he is not on the team but they don't care, the ad is already paid for so send it.

yeah any press is better than no press.

• Reply 8 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Anybody sponsored by Samsung deserves to lose, and I hope that they do.

• Reply 9 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

South Korea sure has a crappy team. Did you see them get pummeled by Algeria yesterday? I'm truly surprised they were able to score at all after starting down 2-0 in 15 seconds.

• Reply 10 of 44
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

There’s a lot of poignant info here, fair DED. Keep up the good fight!

Let the naysayers lie in their nests. :)

• Reply 11 of 44

Samsung: "We don't let the truth get in the way of a good advertisement!"

• Reply 12 of 44
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Is anyone really surprised by this? Lying is in the core DNA of Samsung, not to mention screwing up on everything unless their photocopiers are running at 110%...
  • Reply 13 of 44
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    The fact that Donovan wouldn't be playing for U.S. World Cup team was so well known among soccer fans and sports enthusiasts in general that Electronic Arts promoted its "2014 World Cup" video game with an ad comically portraying Donovan playing soccer at home on TV, where he wins.

This is how celebrity endorsements should be done. It's clever and it endears the brand to the celebrity's fans.

Samsung's endorsements, OTOH, make samsung look like fools and the celebrities look like money grubbing phonies.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    magman1979 wrote: »
    Is anyone really surprised by this? Lying is in the core DNA of Samsung, not to mention screwing up on everything unless their photocopiers are running at 110%...
    Pretty big screw up but still not newsworthy
  • Reply 15 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It is Scamsung's 'fantasy league', after all.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    m8fan11m8fan11 Posts: 3member
    I'm determined to never read DED's brat-blogging again. AI was great before it became the Drudge Report of Apple news.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by m8fan11 View Post

I'm determined to never read DED's brat-blogging again. AI was great before it became the Drudge Report of Apple news.

Good for you, guess you don't like quality reading. And for that, you have been blocked.

• Reply 18 of 44
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    Samsung: "We don't let the truth get in the way of a good advertisement!"
    What good advertising? They photoshopped a blue plaster onto a soccer player in a terrible plastic suit. Anikan Skywalker looked better fried than in that suit.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    bheitbheit Posts: 15member
    Perhaps Samsung just figures their customers are clueless and wouldn't know the difference anyway. Looks like that's what they assume on their spec. sheets.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    magman1979 wrote: »

Now you're just exaggerating. Why, the way you talk, you make it sound as if Samsung is run by some kind of congenital liar or worse, a convicted felon.;)