Microsoft offers MacBook Air owners up to $650 in store credit to 'trade up' to Surface Pro 3

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
In a trade-in program launched on Monday, Microsoft is again luring Apple device owners to make the switch to Windows by offering Surface Pro 3 buyers up to $650 in store credit for certain MacBook Air models.

The new initiative is nearly identical to Microsoft's iPad trade-in program from September, which paid out at least $200 for Apple's tablet when customers came in to buy a Surface Pro or Surface RT.

With its latest incentive, Microsoft is clearly saying it perceives the new Surface hardware to be in direct competition with Apple's popular thin-and-light laptop lineup, not the iPad.

Priced at $799, the low end Intel Core i3 Surface Pro 3 is $100 less than an entry-level 11-inch MacBook Air and $200 less than the 13-inch Air. Considering a maximum trade-in value, customers could cut the Surface's price of entry down to $150. However, the only Surface Pro 3 models currently available are Intel Core i5 configurations priced at $999 and $1,299. It is not clear if the trade-in offer applies to the other models, which are currently up for pre-order.

When Microsoft unveiled the Surface Pro 3 in May, CEO Panos Panay said the hybrid device is an all-in-one answer to tablet users who also own a laptop, which apparently describes 96 percent of iPad owners.

Compared to the 13-inch MacBook Air, the Surface Pro 3 is much lighter at just 800 grams, but makes concessions with a smaller 12-inch screen and snap-on keyboard cover. Microsoft's machine does, however, tout a higher-resolution display, touch input, a pressure-sensitive stylus and the ability to run a full version of Windows 8.1 Pro.

The MacBook Air offer is only good at select brick-and-mortar Microsoft Store outlets in the U.S. and Canada and is limited to one trade-in per purchase. Currently, the offer runs through July 31, though Microsoft has previously extended successful trade-in promotions.

Microsoft notes trade-in values may vary depending on MacBook Air model and condition. MacBooks with cracked screens or water damage will not be accepted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Correction, that would be ... "Trade down"

Microsoft are so out of touch it is mind blowing.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Pretty clever on Microsoft's part.  They can book the revenue from selling a tablet and also earn a profit by selling the MacBook Air's on eBay.  I don't know what the consumer gets out of it, but that's not MS's problem.

• Reply 3 of 29
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Reeks of desperation. If Surface 3 was so great, it would sell itself.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    Trading a MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3 is like trading a collectible that hold its value for something that decreases in value the moment you buy it.
    Trading a MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3 is like trading a Coach bag for a knockoff.
    Trading a MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3 is like trading quality for junk.
    Trading a MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3 is like trading cash for Monopoly money.
    Trading a MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3 is like trading a used Bentley for a Yugo.
    Trading a MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3 is like trading a Sirloin steak for OnCor Salisbury steak.
    Trading a MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3 is like trading Kraft Cheese with Milk for Imitation Cheese.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    [COLOR=blue]I thought there were laws against taking advantage of the mentally ill?? [/COLOR]

1. You can get more (several hundred dollars) by trading your MBA in for a new Mac or laptop.

2. MS could give these Surfaces free to people and they'd return them...

3. [COLOR=blue]MS will take your perfectly functioning MBA and shit in your hands and charge you extra for the privilege. If that isn't taking advantage of a mentally ill person, I don't know what is?[/COLOR]
  • Reply 6 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What kind of a crazy person would actually fall for this deal?

Surface - Runs Windows, no OS X

MacBook Air - Runs OS X and Windows 

1 Point to MacBook Air, no further explanation necessary

Surface - Has no keyboard. It doesn't come with one, and has to be purchased extra, and even then it's some strange snap on keyboard that comes in annoying colors guaranteed to drive people crazy and possibly turn them into serial killers.

MacBook Air - Has a great keyboard for a laptop, one of the best in the biz.

1 Point to MacBook Air

Surface - Has a small trackpad if the optional snap on keyboard is purchased, but the trackpad is oddly off center, and is also guaranteed to make people go insane.

MacBook Air - The gold standard of trackpads, all other non-Apple trackpads pale in comparison and don't even come close. 

1 Point to MacBook Air

Surface - Has a higher resolution screen and it's also a touchscreen display.

MacBook Air - Has a lower resolution screen. The next MacBook Air models will most likely change that. The MacBook Air is not supposed to be an iPad, and Apple smartly recognizes that there's no reason to put a touchscreen on a laptop. You want touch? Go buy a damn iPad.

Plus 1 Point to Surface for having a higher resolution screen and minus 1 point to Surface for having a touch screen.

Minus 1 Point to MacBook Air for having a lower resolution screen and plus 1 point to MacBook Air for not putting a retarded touch screen on their laptop.

Surface - Has a kickstand

MacBook Air - Does not need any kickstand

1 Point to MacBook Air

There we have it.

After tallying up the scores, the results are Surface  0  -  MacBook Air  4

• Reply 7 of 29
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I thought there were laws against taking advantage of the mentally ill??

While I wouldn't choose a MacBook Air for myself, I wouldn't go so far as to say that MacBook Air owners are mentally ill (though you wouldn't be the first to suggest such a thing).  :p 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

...guaranteed to drive people crazy and possibly turn them into serial killers.

Maybe I should rephrase.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that ALL MacBook Air owners are mentally ill...

• Reply 8 of 29
    ICompared to the 13-inch MacBook Air, the Surface Pro 3 is much lighter at just 800 grams, but makes concessions with a smaller 12-inch screen and snap-on keyboard cover. Microsoft's machine does, however, tout a higher-resolution display, touch input, a pressure-sensitive stylus and the ability to run a full version of Windows 8.1 Pro.

The Surface Pro 3 only has an apparent higher -resolution screen in the landscape mode. The pixels are adjusted for only one orientation reading at the described resolution.

As for the pressure-sensitive stylus... did anyone notice that the only way anyone wrote with it in the demos, they kept their palm OFF the touch-sensitive screen? The essentially scribbled like you would write with a piece of chalk. You aren't going to take many notes that way before running out of screen space.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Why would consumers who made a conscious decision against choosing Microsoft hardware turn around and trade in their Mac for it?

Well all had a choice.

• Reply 10 of 29
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member

Microsoft, you need to offer $2000 for trade-in. That way I can sell that awful Surface and buy a new MBA, all for free (and keep some bucks as well for apps and accessories). Now that's what I call a deal.

• Reply 11 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Although Microsoft would never divulge this information I would love to know exactly how many takers at the end of the day. I suspect not very many. The whole campaign smacks of desperation to the point where even the tempted will tread cautiously. I can hear alarm bells going off all over the place just thinking about it. Just the fact that they are offering to pay rather than plain old fashioned convince prospective customers will make most people run a mile, surely.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    You know what they say, "Once you buy a Mac, you'll never go back!"
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

The pricing does not make it cheaper. All Macbook Airs have at least a Core i5 and more baseline storage. You would need to move up to the $999 Surface 3 to compare... then you'd also need a keyboard making it more expensive. And that there's Windows.......

Yeah, you can pry my Macbook Air/Pro out of my cold, dead hands Microsoft.

• Reply 14 of 29
    Genius. The resale value of the Macbook Airs will be double the Surface 3s.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    With such a backlog of dissatisfied iPad owners out there, MS is going to have to hire security to keep order in the lines outside its stores. They've never had to contend with lines before.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Microsoft just doesn't get it.
    And they know it.
    And they hope consumers don't either.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Compared to the 13-inch MacBook Air, the Surface Pro 3 is much lighter at just 800 grams, but makes concessions with a smaller 12-inch screen and snap-on keyboard cover.

The above trickery could have been written by Microsoft. The SP3 with the keyboard weighs more than the 13" MBA, how does weighing more equate to 'much lighter'?

EDIT: my bad, some confusion with gms and lbs, 235gms lighter.

• Reply 18 of 29
    teresaxteresax Posts: 3member
    When I bought my MBA, I made the conscious decision that I was done with Microsoft at home; still stuck with Win2K, NT, XP, and Win-7 at work.

I wouldn't switch if the Surface Pro was free, or even 2:1! No thanks, I'll pass. (This does not qualify for crazy; buying yet another Microsoft product, and expecting it to be better than the last; now THAT is crazy!)
  • Reply 19 of 29
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    In related news: I know a guy under the bridge who'll let you 'trade up' your Glenfiddich single malt for his Night Train.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    I can't wait for the earnings report when it's revealed that Microsoft made more money from selling refurb MacBook Airs than from selling Surface Pros.