Apple suppliers to start production two larger 'iPhone 6' models in July, both may see Sept. launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Following rumors of a massive Foxconn hiring spree, Bloomberg on Monday reported Apple's suppliers are slated to start production of two larger screen iPhones next month ahead of a possible concurrent September release.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, Bloomberg reports mass production of Apple's much-rumored next-generation iPhone models will begin sometime in July, with a 4.7-inch version scheduled to hit market "around September." A larger 5.5-inch model, previously rumored to be a month delayed, may be available at the same time.

The report comes hours after rumors out of East Asia said Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn is preparing to hire some 100,000 workers to deal with large volume iPhone 6 orders. Helping out with assembly will be secondary manufacturer Pegatron, which could be responsible for 30 percent of iPhone 6 production.

As the publication's sources described it, the next-generation iPhone will be "rounder and thinner" than current models, a design consistent with mockups and supposed parts leaks that have been circulating for weeks.

With the forthcoming iPhone refresh, Apple is thought to be moving toward a more cohesive iOS device design language first seen in the iPad mini and subsequently the iPad Air. Hallmarks of the new look include deeply rounded edges that lend a softer appearance to the hardware, a departure from the current iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s handsets.

Finally, Bloomberg makes mention of Apple research into curved glass screens and advanced sensors that can detect variable levels of pressure. The display technology, dubbed "2.5-dimension glass," allows manufacturers to taper smartphone screens to meet the surrounding metal bezel, making for a higher level of fit and finish. It is unclear if the tech will be included in either iPhone 6 model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    My wallet is ready, I've been ready to move on from this iPhone 4 for months.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    joninsdjoninsd Posts: 74member
    Awesome! Only a couple months before the end of rumors and speculation for iPhone 6, and a couple months and a day until iPhone 6S and 7 rumors begin.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Can't wait! We still haven't seen a completed model yet. Hopefully they keep it as tight to the vest as possible in this day and age.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Can't wait! We still haven't seen a completed model yet. Hopefully they keep it as tight to the vest as possible in this day and age.

Haha. You know as well as I do that there will be plenty of leaks coming soon from the Asian suppliers.

There will be blurry and bad pictures posted showing the hand of somebody who most likely has creepy looking, and disgusting long fingernails.

Apple should really tighten up their security, and when leaks and photos appear, Apple should go all out and discover who the criminals are. I don't care if they spend a million dollars to find out who the leakers are, it would be worth it. Apple could offer a reward and also conduct forensic investigations, as if this was a murder case.

• Reply 5 of 19
    I've said it before and I'll say it again I sincerely hope that there is a new 4 inch screen model. That is the size that I want. If there is not a new 4 inch screen size then I will be getting the 4.7 inch model.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    'Around September..."

August 31 till November 1 is that time frame.

There is no news here. Hurry along people, hurry along.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    What it looks like and what it does are 2 totally different things.

Pictures showing the shape and the relative size keep apple in the news. Things like 64 bit , A7, M7 tend to stay above the assembly line worker paygrade.

As long as apple has their big WOW moment on stage, I think the leaked pics only provide the 'coming soon' marketing for free.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I've said it before and I'll say it again I sincerely hope that there is a new 4 inch screen model. That is the size that I want. If there is not a new 4 inch screen size then I will be getting the 4.7 inch model.

I'm in the same boat. I would like something a little larger than 3.5", but want something slim and narrow for pockets as well as one handed use. I'll get the 4.7" if I have to, but a 4" would be great. But I don't want to get the 5S, it's old now. I'd like to keep the CPU's staggered between my iPad and iPhone if possible.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

• Reply 10 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'm, interested to se if Apple have a choice in size. It would seem odd to me if Apple only offer a larger iPhone. I have no need of such a beast but I have no problem with those that do.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member

I agree completely! As a shareholder, I'm worried that they will alienate a significant number of current happy iPhone owners if the only upgrade choices are larger phones.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a larger screen and will be getting the 5.5" model - but I've canvassed 8 female friends and 6 of them claim they will not upgrade if they are forced to go bigger. Anecdotal, I know - but frightening nonetheless!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    tenly wrote: »
    I agree completely! As a shareholder, I'm worried that they will alienate a significant number of current happy iPhone owners if the only upgrade choices are larger phones.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a larger screen and will be getting the 5.5" model - but I've canvassed 8 female friends and 6 of them claim they will not upgrade if they are forced to go bigger. Anecdotal, I know - but frightening nonetheless!

Don't be worried. They don't have a choice. Neither Android or Microsoft offer a premium phone under 4.7" so there's- literally- no choice. You saw it from two posters here. They want 4", but will settle on 4.7". For me- I'll grab the 5.5 also if available. But I understand others appeals for 4". Unfortunately for those that prefer it, I think apple does away with it completely. What's your choice? 4.7" android, 4.7" windows, 4.7" iOS. Pretty easy decision with those 3

The only downside is it leaves the door open for a premium smaller phone from android or ms to try to fill the gap- and if I were them, I sure would try. Will it be successful? Doubt it. But no less successful than anything else like a curved phone or whatever gimmick they attempt. That's the only compelling argument for apple to continue 4"- to simply keep away the competition. But again, I doubt they do it.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    andysol wrote: »
    Don't be worried. They don't have a choice. Neither Android or Microsoft offer a premium phone under 4.7" so there's- literally- no choice. You saw it from two posters here. They want 4", but will settle on 4.7". For me- I'll grab the 5.5 also if available. But I understand others appeals for 4". Unfortunately for those that prefer it, I think apple does away with it completely. What's your choice? 4.7" android, 4.7" windows, 4.7" iOS. Pretty easy decision with those 3

The only downside is it leaves the door open for a premium smaller phone from android or ms to try to fill the gap- and if I were them, I sure would try. Will it be successful? Doubt it. But no less successful than anything else like a curved phone or whatever gimmick they attempt. That's the only compelling argument for apple to continue 4"- to simply keep away the competition. But again, I doubt they do it.

They always sell the last year's model alongside at a lower price. I think they'll keep the 5s or the 5c with 5s internals, or some version of both.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    Just release it in August with an unlock model instead of waiting 90-120 days later to do so.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    r6n1ckr6n1ck Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Haha. You know as well as I do that there will be plenty of leaks coming soon from the Asian suppliers.

There will be blurry and bad pictures posted showing the hand of somebody who most likely has creepy looking, and disgusting long fingernails.

Apple should really tighten up their security, and when leaks and photos appear, Apple should go all out and discover who the criminals are. I don't care if they spend a million dollars to find out who the leakers are, it would be worth it. Apple could offer a reward and also conduct forensic investigations, as if this was a murder case.

Hmmm...I'm a bit more sceptical and feel Apple are probably very much in control of a lot of these leaks...good way to gauge public opinion.

Like the Taiwanese pop star who leaked the 5s...after this happened you would think Apple would make sure he did not receive another iphone early ever again? But he did.

• Reply 16 of 19
    flaneur wrote: »
    They always sell the last year's model alongside at a lower price. I think they'll keep the 5s or the 5c with 5s internals, or some version of both.

Of course. I was talking about new models. ;)
  • Reply 17 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    andysol wrote: »
    Of course. I was talking about new models. ;)

Yeah, I thought that after I posted, and your point might be widely shared. In which case, they should continue developing the 4-inch platform with new processors, cameras, cases, etc. I hope so anyway.. I was thinking the 5c would get the 5s internals, including Touch ID.

Edit: I see that Gruber thinks this way too today.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Are you saying that you want Apple to be full of hope?

• Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Okay, but why so tolerant?