Amazon's premium Fire Phone seeks to reverse Android's ratchet status

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    fuzzypawsfuzzypaws Posts: 111member

Seriously? You could have just posted a calm review of the product, listed its downsides and discussed how/if it impacted Apple, rather than going into histrionics about everything and demonizing Android just because. I like the research you put into a lot of your other articles, but this is complete trash.

• Reply 102 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

What's so hard to understand about a device that is largely WiFi based but can make use of those expensive cell towers if needs be.?

The part where you’ve magically installed freely available, open Wi-Fi hardware across the same area of the country (world) as cellular telephony services. 

You seem to think cell and wifi technology are new.

Nice strawman, though.

Do you have a problem with someone having a preference?

I only have problems with ‘opinions’ when they’re wrong.

I am not attacking Apple.

You do, however, have no problem pretending they’re doing something and claiming the fantasy is bad and that they are bad for doing it.

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Joining forces with the cable companies is hardly the way to change the world.

• Reply 103 of 118
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

"According to Google's Android ideology, once intellectual property rights are dissolved and the means of production are collectively owned by a benevolent "Do No Evil" corporation, we'll be living in an Android communist paradise where every member of the proletariat can own a low priced smartphone subsidized by adware fed to us by Mother Google."

Love it. The way Daniel expresses himself and his language are a delight. I think I grinned all the way through this article.

Then just don't buy an adware subsidized phone, I no longer have an Android phone but when I did I never saw a single ad come across my screen, same thing goes for my Nexus 10, which is as Google as your going to get, never seen a single ad. I easily stay away from any free app that has them and if by chance Google does start doing this I would just install AdBlock, and even though it's not available through the Play Store it can be easily side loaded directly from the publishers website. Once installed, Play Store still scans it for any Malware and for a second layer of protection there are many affective third party Malware scanners that use up very little in the way of system resources. Every single Google Nexus and ChromeOS device has an open boot loader or developer mode that can be used to change or completely remove the installed OS. This really doesn't sound like the actions of an entity hell bent in keeping people from changing the way they use their device, nor is communism a word that I would use to describe these actions. May I ask you question, for comparison how would you describe iOS in terms of a particular government type and please don't say democracy, as I don't recall voting on the prevention of using third party browsers in the systems default app settings. Also please understand that I'm not saying this is a bad or good thing as Apple sells millions of iOS devices, so it's more then obvious that people don't mind using a system where almost every aspect is preconfigured and locked to what the corporations believes to be the most beneficial for their users.

• Reply 104 of 118
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    freediverx wrote: »
    We already have one. It's called the iPod Touch.

Love the iPod Touch although am not crazy about the whole widescreen aspect ratio for it and the iPhone. Nevertheless, Apple doesn't seem to care much about the Touch which is a shame. It, more than the iPhone, would really benefit from a 5 or 6 inch screen.

At some point WiFi will be everywhere and the current cell phone monopolistic situation will collapse. Anyone who feels that the communications' situation that the cell phone companies have given us has a very strange view of life. Just because past WiFi phones have failed means little. The infrastructure just hasn't been there.

There are real issues with cell phones. Not everyone is a fan.

Finally, iOS 8 having built in VoIP is nice. It doesn't. remove the slave/client mode that the iPhone helps the wireless companies perpetuate.

Philip
  • Reply 105 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Not only has Apple's share of the smartphone market continued to increase every year, but Android's share peaked in 2012 and declined in 2013.

It's also important to remind everyone that this view of market share is flawed since you're grouping top of the line phones along with cheap, crappy devices. A more useful analysis would break smartphones and tablets into segments.

It depends on who's graph your looking at, here's one that contradicts yours. These things are about as accurate as a rusty musket using gun powder taken from last years Fourth of July fireworks that the dog pee'd on.

Then there is of course the IDC projections.

• Reply 106 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

So you're seriously telling us that the majority of people who bought an iPod Touch did so solely for the reading experience alone? Sorry Corrections but I don't believe that's the case. They bought them for a multitude of reasons but "Reading on a (at the time) 3.5 inch screen" I highly doubt was one of them.

The e-ink Kindle provides a far-better reading experience, at least in my opinion, than an iPod Touch does. I can take it outside on a sunny day and not have to worry about the glare of taking a device such as the iPod-Phone-Pad-Android tablets-Microsoft crap. It's far easier on my eyes than any other device.

Again, this is just my experience.

I really like e-link displays too, they just feel more natural when reading, especially the newer generation. A big thing you should add to your argument is battery life. these devices get about a month on single charge.

• Reply 107 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Every single Google Nexus and ChromeOS device has an open boot loader or developer mode that can be used to change or completely remove the installed OS. This really doesn't sound like the actions of an entity hell bent in keeping people from changing the way they use their device, nor is communism a word that I would use to describe these actions. May I ask you question, for comparison how would you describe iOS in terms of a particular government type and please don't say democracy, as I don't recall voting on the prevention of using third party browsers in the systems default app settings. Also please understand that I'm not saying this is a bad or good thing as Apple sells millions of iOS devices, so it's more then obvious that people don't mind using a system where almost every aspect is preconfigured and locked to what the corporations believes to be the most beneficial for their users.

"Open boot loaders" don't really sound like the kind of thing most users would get involved in unless Android users are, in the main, seriously geeky so I suspect we can disregard that option. Also, if you can "change or completely remove the installed OS" then what would it be replaced with? Not iOS obviously so would it not be Android again and if so, what is the point?

Sadly, voting doesn't get you what you asked for and often gets you things you didn't want - well that's how it works here in the UK anyway. I wouldn't want to take the political analogy too far though; it was more that I liked Daniel's swipe at this frequently lambasted "Apple walled garden" which is supposed to be so horrible and yet the shining alternative seems basically to be Android - take it or leave it. There may be different flavours of Google's Android with new Samsung and Amazon variants to spice it up however the delightful irony is that, like Apple, you have to buy their hardware to run it!

We are force fed the idea that choice is always good, which I believe is a lie. Go into a large chemist (drugstore?) to buy a tube of toothpaste and tell me honestly that the world really needs 200 different kinds of toothpaste - with fluoride, no fluoride, with whiteners, menthol, clinically proven, for sensitive teeth, flavoured and so on. That's just one brand, and there will be 15 brands, but of course when you look underneath you find that they are really all Proctor & Gamble or Unilever! It seems like choice but what is the benefit to you? Do you know why you would choose whitening toothpaste with menthol stripes over one with menthol and antibacterial properties? Did you dentist tell you or did you just go with the adverts? Huge arrays of choices force you to make all the decisions and assume that you have the knowledge. Apple take a lot of those choices for you and say - we've done our best, we hope you like it. The restrictions on browsers and mail is but one example - the App Store clearly shows that there anything but restriction on apps for other tasks. In fact, the choice is ... overwhelming ...

I have absolutely no problem with Apple controlling iOS to the extent that they do - the result, for me, is brilliant. However, for those who don't like that and want to install an alternative browser, or three browsers then that Android option is there for them. There is room for both, it's not a problem.

• Reply 108 of 118
    relic wrote: »
    Every single Google Nexus and ChromeOS device has an open boot loader or developer mode that can be used to change or completely remove the installed OS. This really doesn't sound like the actions of an entity hell bent in keeping people from changing the way they use their device, nor is communism a word that I would use to describe these actions. May I ask you question, for comparison how would you describe iOS in terms of a particular government type and please don't say democracy, as I don't recall voting on the prevention of using third party browsers in the systems default app settings. Also please understand that I'm not saying this is a bad or good thing as Apple sells millions of iOS devices, so it's more then obvious that people don't mind using a system where almost every aspect is preconfigured and locked to what the corporations believes to be the most beneficial for their users.

"Open boot loaders" don't really sound like the kind of thing most users would get involved in unless Android users are, in the main, seriously geeky so I suspect we can disregard that option. Also, if you can "change or completely remove the installed OS" then what would it be replaced with? Not iOS obviously so would it not be Android again and if so, what is the point?

Sadly, voting doesn't get you what you asked for and often gets you things you didn't want - well that's how it works here in the UK anyway. I wouldn't want to take the political analogy too far though; it was more that I liked Daniel's swipe at this frequently lambasted "Apple walled garden" which is supposed to be so horrible and yet the shining alternative seems basically to be Android - take it or leave it. There may be different flavours of Google's Android with new Samsung and Amazon variants to spice it up however the delightful irony is that, like Apple, you have to buy their hardware to run it!

We are force fed the idea that choice is always good, which I believe is a lie. Go into a large chemist (drugstore?) to buy a tube of toothpaste and tell me honestly that the world really needs 200 different kinds of toothpaste - with fluoride, no fluoride, with whiteners, menthol, clinically proven, for sensitive teeth, flavoured and so on. That's just one brand, and there will be 15 brands, but of course when you look underneath you find that they are really all Proctor & Gamble or Unilever! It seems like choice but what is the benefit to you? Do you know why you would choose whitening toothpaste with menthol stripes over one with menthol and antibacterial properties? Did you dentist tell you or did you just go with the adverts? Huge arrays of choices force you to make all the decisions and assume that you have the knowledge. Apple take a lot of those choices for you and say - we've done our best, we hope you like it. The restrictions on browsers and mail is but one example - the App Store clearly shows that there anything but restriction on apps for other tasks. In fact, the choice is ... overwhelming ...

I have absolutely no problem with Apple controlling iOS to the extent that they do - the result, for me, is brilliant. However, for those who don't like that and want to install an alternative browser, or three browsers then that Android option is there for them. There is room for both, it's not a problem.

Great post. Life is short and we have so many choices to make about everything. I get paralysed with indecision if I go to a supermarket.
  • Reply 109 of 118

Thanks. Yet another reason to avoid supermarkets ;)

• Reply 110 of 118
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    pmcd wrote: »
    At some point WiFi will be everywhere and the current cell phone monopolistic situation will collapse. Anyone who feels that the communications' situation that the cell phone companies have given us has a very strange view of life. Just because past WiFi phones have failed means little. The infrastructure just hasn't been there.

And who's gonna pay for that infrastructure?

The reason coffee shops and restaurants offer free WIFI is so you'll stay there and spend money on coffee and food.

The carriers have spent BILLIONS on making sure you can get a signal everywhere... in exchange for a monthly fee.

If WIFI is everywhere... and you can use that instead of the cell phone carriers... you're gonna have to pay someone for it. And who knows if that will be better than what the cell carriers offer?

I'm just having a hard time imagining a situation where you can stop paying your cell phone bill... and rely solely on WIFI.

Because that WIFI has to come from somewhere... there's no such thing as a free lunch.
  • Reply 111 of 118
    Great post. Life is short and we have so many choices to make about everything. I get paralysed with indecision if I go to a supermarket.

grocery_full.jpg
    grocery_hungry.jpg
  • Reply 112 of 118
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

grocery_full.jpg

grocery_hungry.jpg

Too true!

• Reply 113 of 118
    "we'll be living in an Android communist paradise where every member of the proletariat can own a low priced smartphone subsidized by adware fed to us by Mother Google."

Jeeze. Paranoid much? Next you'll be telling us that Apple invented the Gadsden Flag.
  • Reply 114 of 118
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

It depends on who's graph your looking at, here's one that contradicts yours. These things are about as accurate as a rusty musket using gun powder taken from last years Fourth of July fireworks that the dog pee'd on.

The accuracy is not helped by the fact that a) Samsung only releases "shipped" numbers instead of sold, and b) from recent trial documents it's been proven they've inflated and lied about those numbers as well.

• Reply 115 of 118
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Apple's reliance on the iPhone for so much of its revenue is not healthy. Cell phones come and go.

Philip

True, but when cell phones stopped being just cell phones and started being powerful computers that fit in your hand, well, that old adage just doesn't stand up so well anymore.  Computer brands and operating systems don't just "come and go" so easily.  You should expect smartphones and their OS's to follow more along the lines of their big computer brethren and less along the lines of cell phones.  Some analysts still don't get that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

In the longer term I don't see why people would push cell technology as opposed to having some other wireless solution which didn't require towers everywhere. Heck, even a WiFi "phone" makes more sense to me.

Philip

A lot of work is being done on wireless technology that has greater range, speed, reliability, etc than cell towers.  Then you wouldn't need so many of them.  It's just going to take some time to get it in place and robust.  Meanwhile, cell towers are the best technology to meet the coverage requirements.  WiFi doesn't even come close to meeting the requirements.

Thompson

• Reply 116 of 118
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member

I can see their point about wanting to "reverse the ratchet".

But I remember the spelling as "ratsh*t"

• Reply 117 of 118
    lol ratchet?? I pre ordered my baby(fire phone) and I look foward to
    doing a personal review. this is what sold me on it http://pages.residualtakeover.net
  • Reply 118 of 118
    fish sticks?? that usually means you're a gay fish lol