Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    iphone 3gs wrote: »
    There still keeping it at 8 megapixels ... The 4S has that and that's will be 4 iphone models ago when the 6 comes out
    I'd rather have a great 8 megapixel photo than a terrible 20 megapixel one. Unless you're printing bloody billboards with that image, it's a complete waste of space and processing power.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitstandninja View Post

It really bothers me that you make the title of the article seem like fact. I'm fine with rumors and I like to hear opinions but you should state this as a "Rumor:" before your sensationalist headline.

I'm stepping off my stump now.

Absolutely. This is a trend these days, with headlines based on rumors being stated as absolute fact- its a pretty disgusting form of journalistic irresponsibility. How tough it is to type "Rumor:" before the headline? Oh yeah, that won't generate as many clicks. Macrumors has been engaging in this shitty practice for a while, but I always though AI was a bit above that. 

• Reply 23 of 65
    Yeah, I'm not biting on this. And I can't lie, I would not be happy if they degraded the flagship $199 model to midrange status.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    iphone 3gs wrote: »
    There still keeping it at 8 megapixels ... The 4S has that and that's will be 4 iphone models ago when the 6 comes out

facts aside, you do realize that megapixel count isnt what makes a quality image, right? it's the size and quality of the pixels, not the number of. get the "specs!" mindset out of your head.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    slurpy wrote: »
    Absolutely. This is a trend these days, with headlines based on rumors being stated as absolute fact- its a pretty disgusting form of journalistic irresponsibility. How tough it is to type "Rumor:" before the headline? Oh yeah, that won't generate as many clicks. Macrumors has been engaging in this shitty practice for a while, but I always though AI was a bit above that. 
    What pisses me off more is that mainstream media is getting in on the act with iPhone rumors. There was one on Forbes about apple "abandoning" the headphone jack. They since changed the article headline but the damage was done.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    I'd love to see someone at Apple, while announcing the new iPhones, explicitly address the trend of making the smaller screen the crappy version and announce that they are against it. With every rumor that comes around I get more nervous that the above would never happen.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sporlo wrote: »
    I'd love to see someone at Apple, while announcing the new iPhones, explicitly address the trend of making the smaller screen the crappy version and announce that they are against it. With every rumor that comes around I get more nervous that the above would never happen.
    My concern is that if a 5.5" model exists it will obviously be more expensive and perhaps Apple will feel the need to give it distinctive features to justify the increased price. I can understand software features that might make more sense on a larger screen. But I see no reason why only the larger phone should get the best camera, except if Apple does it to try and upsell people to the more expensive model. That would be a shame. I know several people who are bummed that the new iPhone is going to be bigger because they like the current size. They would really be bummed if they had to jump all the way to 5.5" to get the best phone.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Could the premature whiners about gimping one model please note the first four words of the story?:[B] "Due to supply constraints . . . "[/B]
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

It really bothers me that you make the title of the article seem like fact. I'm fine with rumors and I like to hear opinions but you should state this as a "Rumor:" before your sensationalist headline.

I'm stepping off my stump now.

And Martin Hajeck designed of the next iPhone. Because on this site, rumor = fact. /s

• Reply 30 of 65
    Quote:

What pisses me off more is that mainstream media is getting in on the act with iPhone rumors. There was one on Forbes about apple "abandoning" the headphone jack. They since changed the article headline but the damage was done.

The damage is probably limited to anyone who read that rumor and decided to stop waiting for iPhone 6 and buy a Samsung instead (or an iPhone 5S). That's a potential future sale lost.  For everyone else waiting for iPhone 6, only the true feature set will matter when it's announced.

• Reply 31 of 65

So basically like the iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina Display? Yeah, I'd love that to be the case should there be both 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones.

• Reply 32 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Lies. All lies.

• Reply 33 of 65
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    ljm8283 wrote: »
    Is the 4.7 gonna the new 5c and the 5.5 gonna be the new 5s? I think there is gonna be some people disappointed that the 4.7 ip6 is not gonna have the same features as the bigger phone. As I said before I wish they would make these phones with the same software, just the screen sizes are the only difference between them, for people who like the smaller or bigger phones. Hoping that this article is just a rumor because why would you market something if you don't have enough for both phones. Which hence brings me back to my orignal question at the beginning of my thread.
    Or better yet apple release 1 iPhone 6 at 4.7, and release a iPod 6 with a cellular chip version to replace the 5C.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Why do people get all upset on this forum? Most of the articles are pure BS or at best  unsubstantiated rumor. Once Apple announces and ships a new product you can complain or praise all you want, until then you are wasting your time and effort for nothing.

• Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

Nice. Glad there will be some type of hardware differentiation. I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.

If true, I object to this kind of differentiation. The myth of "bigger = more premium" is a false god. Totally out of character for the "Every Inch an iPad" company.

• Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Why do people get all upset on this forum? Most of the articles are pure BS or at best  unsubstantiated rumor. Once Apple announces and ships a new product you can complain or praise all you want, until then you are wasting your time and effort for nothing.

But it's the off-season. Gotta keep in shape.

• Reply 37 of 65
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Very simple. If the larger one has it, and the smaller one doesn't, why even switch from my 5? I'll wait. I hope Apple doesn't do something like this. Would be a big buzz killer.

• Reply 38 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well the ANALysts MacRumors is quoting claim OIS is an extra $4 or $5 dollars per phone and so Apple will restrict it to the 5.5" model. I hope they're wrong because that's BS. But if it's true at least it will save me some money. I don't want a 5.5" phone and I won't buy the 4.7" model if it has lesser hardware specs just so Apple can protect margins. If Apple forces people to buy the 5.5" model to get the best device I think that will impact sales in a negative way.

Oh, noes! Does it offend your sensibilities that they might differentiate the models in some way? What, do you honestly think the iPhone 6 4.7" model wont be powerful or capable enough for you? The iPhone 5S cpu stil blows pretty much everything out of the water, and thats coming on a year old. The 5S camera is still considered the overall best smartphone camera on the market. Stop bing so self-righteous and entitled. If Apple wants to set the pricepoint of the 5.5" model to a higher level, it makes sense that it might have an extra feature or two. You seem to have an extremely childish way of looking at things, especially all your "I wont buy X if Apple does Y" posts. The deciding factor over whether you buy an iPhone will be whether it has optical image stabilization? Good for you and your irrationality. 

• Reply 39 of 65
    If the smaller one has less magic than the larger one, I don't see myself feeling 100% satisfied with either choice. I have been nothing short of 100% satisfied with my 3GS, 4S, and 5S iPhones. Being a fan of the S iteration, I can guarantee I'll sit this one out, but It'll give me a year to thoroughly contemplate cutting my cord w/ Apple and plan my move to Microsoft or Google.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Not another 8 megapixel sensor, please! I know that Apple doesn't like to play the specs game, but they're aiming for mass-market adoption. When the average consumer sees a Galaxy ad claiming twice the megapixels, that could really make Apple look behind in their eyes. While I understand that Apple tends to appeal to the savvier consumer that looks beyond all that marketing gimmickry, 8 megapixels is just too small nowadays.