Another report predicts Apple's 'iPhone 6' will see Sept. 19 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
In what is likely just an educated guess, yet another rumor claims that Apple will launch its next-generation iPhone on Friday, Sept. 19, which would be about one year after the debut of the iPhone 5s.

German carrier Deutche Telekom first began telling customers in May that Apple's next iPhone would go on sale Sept. 19, a date consistent with the company's recent launches. And again on Wednesday, Chinese Internet company Tencent chimed in with the same date, in a report spotlighted by G for Games.

Such information has likely not been shared by Apple with outside sources, but does fall in line with the company's release schedule from recent years, suggesting the date is simply a prediction.

The new report also alleges that the handset will launch with 32 gigabytes of storage for 5,288 yuan, or about $850 U.S., while a 64-gigabyte version would cost 6,288 yuan, or $1,008. No mention of a 16-gigabyte model was made.

Apple historically launches its new iPhone models on Fridays, and Sept. 19 of this year does fall on that day of the week. The company began selling its latest smartphones during the same week last year, as the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c both became available on Sept. 20.

Similarly, in 2012 Apple made the iPhone 5 available on Sept. 21. But in 2011, the iPhone 4S launched a few weeks later, on Oct. 14.

Apple's initial iPhone release markets last year were the U.S., Australia, Canada, China, Germany, France, Japan, Singapore, and the U.K.

Apple has already followed its recent pattern this year, unveiling iOS 8 at its Worldwide Developers Keynote in early June. If the company's scheduling holds, iOS 8 will become available just a few days before the launch of an "iPhone 6." Apple has simply said that iOS 8 will be available later this year.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

Another rumor from earlier this year claimed that Apple was already restricting retail employee time off for the month of September. Apple is expected to have a busy fall, with an anticipated iPhone update that is rumored to come in two sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches, as well as new iPads, a redesigned MacBook Air with Retina display, a new Apple TV, and a wrist-worn "iWatch."

Apple's "iPhone 6" is expected to be a complete redesign of the company's handset, featuring a thinner frame and a relocation of the lock/wake button to the upper right side of the device. One report this week claimed that the larger 5.5-inch variant will gain optical image stabilization for its camera, while the 4.7-inch version will not include that feature. The new handsets are also expected to sport a faster next-generation "A8" processor and will run iOS 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

And tomorrow it will be Oct 19th. Then the next day it will be Sept 30th. People just make stuff up...

It launches when it launches! Which...is when its ready. 

• Reply 2 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Current price of 32GB 5S is $750. So the next phone is going to be $100 more expensive?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I don't believe Apple is going to ditch the 16GB base model this year. That seems like an upgrade for an "S" year.

People are going to flock to this new iPhone simply for the bigger screen and fresh new design. There is no reason for Apple to ditch their high margin pricing for memory upgrades this year.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Current price of 32GB 5S is $750. So the next phone is going to be $100 more expensive?

This article is quoting Chinese prices. The 16GB currently cost 5288 yuan which is $850 dollars.

http://store.apple.com/cn/buy-iphone/iphone5s
  • Reply 5 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    blackbook wrote: »
    I don't believe Apple is going to ditch the 16GB base model this year. That seems like an upgrade for an "S" year.

People are going to flock to this new iPhone simply for the bigger screen and fresh new design. There is no reason for Apple to ditch their high margin pricing for memory upgrades this year.
    Unfortunately, I think you're right. Although that would be great if they had the 32 as base :)
  • Reply 6 of 29

Was hoping they'd go 32/64/128 at current prices.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    This article is quoting Chinese prices. The 16GB currently cost 5288 yuan which is $850 dollars.

http://store.apple.com/cn/buy-iphone/iphone5s
    Ah, so it's possible we could get 32GB at the same price as current 16GB? That would be fantastic!
  • Reply 8 of 29
    reklss41reklss41 Posts: 21member
    I miss the summer release of iPhone ????
  • Reply 9 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Although that would be great if they had the 32 as base image

I agree...not only is 8GB a slap in the face for people who fall for buying this (or this is all they can afford), its getting to the point where 16GB isn't enough either. Phones are getting more and more sophisticated with higher and higher res photos and movies...this all uses up more space. Even people who aren't techies, use up 8GB pretty fast, even if they only have a couple of apps installed. They shouldn't have to delete everything just to update to the newest version of iOS and shouldn't be made to use iTunes to update. This is too much of a hassle for basic people vs just clicking on upgrade on the phone and it does all of the work for you. 

32GB should be the standard as the base configuration. 32/64/128 options. If you wanted to do a cheap phone, replace the 8GB iPhone with the 16GB. At least its useable out of the box. I know, there are people here who scrunch their lives in an 8GB iPhone, but its not something people should have to do. Everyone should have the same basic experience no matter what model of iPhone they purchase. 

• Reply 10 of 29
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    I think you launch with 32/64/128 options, then some time after the initial surge, time an introduction of a lower cost 16 version...
  • Reply 11 of 29
    The iPad is what needs a storage bump. 32GB should be the base there.
  • Reply 12 of 29

I know it will never happen, but I would love to see a micro SD card put on the iPhones. Specifically just for pictures, they fill up the phone rather quick.

• Reply 13 of 29
    Wait.....Oh, never mind.

Who cares when it's released. If you plan on buying one it won't matter if it's released in September of 2014 or 2015 you will still buy it. If it doesn't get released on normal dates like when Jobs passed away and the release came in October you'll just complain in a forum like this one.

LOL
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Regardless of when it launches or is announced think 6 to 8 month afterward to shake out the bugs and get fixed models in to the pipeline. There is always limited supply and whatever is available always has something that works incorrectly. So, relax. This is just the preshow, guys.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Any change of date will be a "delay" because Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 29

That second image with a mockup of the "6c" in plastic... ummm... I think the 5s will become the 5sc as the mid-tier model, bumping the 5c down to the lower-tier "freebie on contract" model, while the 4.7-inch "6" will be the top-tier. And the 5.5-inch "6" will be a premium product at a $+100 price-point.

I'm thinking that they'll keep the Gold/Silver/SpaceGray for the newest top-tier products only. IMHO ;) 

• Reply 17 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In what is likely just an educated guess, yet another rumor claims that Apple will launch its next-generation iPhone on Friday, Sept. 19…

Normally I’d question the use of ‘educated’ here, but given that the last one came out on my birthday, this one coming out the day before makes a fair bit of sense.

Given that, you know, despite what analysts want to pretend is true, Apple won’t be releasing more than one model per year.

• Reply 18 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes, but for 5.5" version, I guess.

• Reply 19 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

I'm thinking that there may not be a plastic "6C" this year.  The 5C, more or less, is just the 2012 iPhone 5 internals in a plastic case.  And using the previous year's electronics isn't new.  Before last year, Apple sold older model year iPhones at $100 and $200 discounts.  For example, after the iPhone 5 was released in 2012, you could still buy the 2011 4S and 2010 4.

That changed in 2013 with the 5C.  Instead of continuing production of the complex 5, Apple simplified its outer shell.  This probably helped improve their margins slightly because of lower production cost.  The one-piece plastic backshell allowed the factory to skip some assembly steps such as choosing from 725 different glass inlays in two different colors.  Fewer assembly steps -> less time per unit -> lower cost per unit.  So, no, factory labor isn't the major cost component of the iPhone, but every little bit helps the bottom line.

But there's no previous-year 4.7" iPhone.  Apple doesn't have older 4.7" iPhone electronics to re-package in a plastic shell.  So maybe this year we'll see a plastic iPhone 5SC along with the bigger 2014 iPhones.  And the old 5C might replace the 4S as the low-cost "emerging market" phone shipped around the world.  And next year we might see a 4.7" plastic "iPhone 6C."  (And maybe there will never be a plastic 5.5" "iPhone 6C" to maintain its status as the top-of-the-line model.)

• Reply 20 of 29
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member

I think the new iPhone lineup for 2014/2015 will probably be:

iPhone 5c - 4"

$0 - 8GB 

iPhone 5s - 4"

$99 - 16GB

iPhone 6 - 4.7"

$199 - 16GB

$299 - 32GB

$399 - 64GB

iPhone 6 - 5.5"