Google takes on Apple TV with Android TV connected entertainment platform

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2014
Search giant Google on Thursday previewed its latest play for consumers' living rooms with Android TV, a new platform for connected televisions and set-top boxes that brings streaming audio and video alongside custom apps and games.

Much of Android TV's functionality is similar to that of the Apple TV or similar set-top boxes from Roku and Amazon. Users will have access to streaming media from companies like Netflix and Hulu, and Google will make the Play Store available for developers to create apps with TV-centric user interfaces.

The platform will also support gaming, with Google showing off a multiplayer NBA Jam session between a player on an Android TV and one on a Samsung tablet. Game controllers are supported, though the minimum controller requirement is a simple directional pad and -- like Amazon's Fire TV -- a microphone for voice search.

Android TV's user interface is relatively conventional, though the company does provide an interesting "overlay" view for the home screen. Rather than closing any open content, the home screen will simply sit atop the still-playing content in a translucent panel.

In keeping with Google's platform-focused strategy, the company will not make its own hardware. Rather, they announced a number of partners -- including television makers Sony, Sharp, and Philips, who will begin shipping Android TV sets in 2015 -- that will manufacture television sets, set-top boxes, and low-powered game consoles based on the software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    My favorite from Google I/O:   Android "L" will be 64 Bit. 

Ahh, there's the "innovation" we've been waiting for.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Haven't we been down the Google TV road before?
  • Reply 3 of 61
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    "Google takes on apple tv with android tv connected entertainment platform [B]again[/B]"

Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Apple has been dragging their feet in this department, ATV could use some really basic features
  • Reply 5 of 61
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Haven't we been down the Google TV road before?

Google TV was so 2010. Android TV is new and exciting and innovative and so, so different....somehow...

• Reply 6 of 61
    Congratulations AI. It appears you are now able to foresee the future. "...Google on Thursday previewed..." in a story bylined with a Wednesday date stamp.

Well done AI. Well done.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

There's always a big market for set top box for those who don't like Apple. Google just clean up whatever's left by Apple TV and Roku...Soon, we'll see Tizen box. Yup.

• Reply 8 of 61
    bunlobunlo Posts: 28member
    Google TV should take on their own knock-offs Android PC (sold on eBay), cuz they tried hard to become an entertainment console, sure they just don't have the resource to make it great.

Please, google, enough is enough, you have your own beauty. If you want to kick Apple, mind your own thing, not follow.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

The actual device you use is becoming largely irrelevant. Does it really matter if you use an ATV, a Google device, A PS4, or Xbox, or Roku, or a dozen other options to watch Netflix or HBOGo? I have a PS3, a PS4, a Roku, and now a Google Chromecast spread over 4 TV's in my house and they all get the job done. My only requirement is that they can work with Plex well because I have over 1,000movies stored on a Mac, and can play Netflix and HBOGo. I have shied away from ATV because I heard it does not play as well with Plex though that may have changed.

• Reply 10 of 61
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I couldn't give two craps about any Google TV or any other Google announcement, but I read that there were some protesters there.

What was that about and what exactly were they protesting?

• Reply 11 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Apple has been dragging their feet in this department, ATV could use some really basic features

Like full iOS and 16GB/32GB of internal storage? Also, Bluetooth game controllers for ATV? Do you know why until now they don't allow full iOS in ATV? Display resolution for apps, my friend. Just look, how can ATV display the iOS games written for iPad or iPhone at different resolutions or aspect ratio? iOS for ATV is different and cannot use standard apps from mobile devices. So, just quit dreaming about Apple TV with full iOS. It won't happen anytime soon or ever.

• Reply 12 of 61
    It seems like eventually every company will have access to everything.It would be interesting if apple created an itunes app that you allowed you to play your itunes content on a ps4 or amazon tv or whatever. This is the new fragmentation, we need itunes, netflix, hulu, and all the others to watch the content that we actually want to watch.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

I'll say it again, Apple needs to invest in Apple only content. They have more money and connections then others doing the same. That and an app store :) 

• Reply 14 of 61
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The actual device you use is becoming largely irrelevant. Does it really matter if you use an ATV, a Google device, A PS4, or Xbox, or Roku, or a dozen other options to watch Netflix or HBOGo? I have a PS3, a PS4, a Roku, and now a Google Chromecast spread over 4 TV's in my house and they all get the job done. My only requirement is that they can work with Plex well because I have over 1,000movies stored on a Mac, and can play Netflix and HBOGo. I have shied away from ATV because I heard it does not play as well with Plex though that may have changed.

You don't need Plex to play those movies from your Mac to your tv you can use your Chromecast and a app called Videostream and it works great I use it all the time.

• Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I couldn't give two craps about any Google TV or any other Google announcement, but I read that there were some protesters there.

What was that about and what exactly were they protesting?

Probably this:

http://www.occupygoogle.org/

• Reply 16 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Google has failed to secure the necessary agreements with the entertainment content companies thus far. Without those necessary agreements, it's a giant dead-end again.

• Reply 17 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Probably this:

http://www.occupygoogle.org/

All strains of Occupy are entitled morons.

• Reply 18 of 61
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Let me be honest. I used to own google TV box and apple TV. Both I used for some time and sold on craiglist. Between two, second(first apple-tv), I bought google-tv for typical streaming purpose but importantly a browser internet support that was lacking in apple-tv. Unfortunately, somehow you feel that google products have big strategy but when you use, the real good user experience sucks, it lacks that feel and is way behind apple. Android looks as good as ios because of support from such big open source XDA community spending their countless time to enhance android along with all android phone manufacturers. If you leave android to only google in game of android development and it's dependent product development like Nexus(or motorola ?) than it will flop miserably and google TV will be one of them.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member

Let me be honest. I used to own google TV box and apple TV. Both I used for some time and sold on craiglist. Between two, second(first apple-tv), I bought google-tv for typical streaming purpose but importantly a browser internet support that was lacking in apple-tv. Unfortunately, somehow you feel that google products have big strategy but when you use, the real good user experience sucks, it lacks that feel and is way behind apple. Android looks as good as ios because of support from such big open source XDA community spending their countless time to enhance android along with all android phone manufacturers. If you leave android to only google in game of android development and it's dependent product development like Nexus(or motorola ?) than it will flop miserably and google TV will be one of them.

• Reply 20 of 61
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Like full iOS and 16GB/32GB of internal storage? Also, Bluetooth game controllers for ATV? Do you know why until now they don't allow full iOS in ATV? Display resolution for apps, my friend. Just look, how can ATV display the iOS games written for iPad or iPhone at different resolutions or aspect ratio? iOS for ATV is different and cannot use standard apps from mobile devices. So, just quit dreaming about Apple TV with full iOS. It won't happen anytime soon or ever.

I was thinking more like global search, ability to read full comments, rate vids, select 1080p on YT vids, etc