Google announces Android Auto platform for cars, Android Wear devices for wrists

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Looking at the watches these companies are designing and developing to sell to customers makes me extraordinarily happy that I am an Apple customer! Why are these companies rushing to get crap out the door instead of actually designing and developing something that shows the world they are worthwhile

The very sad thing about all of this is the iPod Steve Jobs said could be used as a watch (How many years ago was that?) is SOOOOOOO much better looking than what Samsung and LG have come up with. IF Apple does come up with a smart watch, the Android smart watch companies will immediately drop their current designs and copy Apple's designs

I truly hope the Android camp opens their eyes to honestly see and admit that Samsung, LG and other Android smart watch companies chose to drop their designs and copy Apple's designs this time around.

Oops

I visited Oz for a moment there.  :-)))

Yes, this Moto 360 watch looks bad :rolleyes:

https://moto360.motorola.com/

• Reply 22 of 70
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Does anyone know why the protestors were outside the conference? There was a story on CNBC but Google must have called and shut that down.
    The video about it doesn't even say what they are protesting and the sound bite canceled on the air.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000287631&__source=yahoo|headline|quote|video|&par=yahoo
  • Reply 23 of 70
    That site reminds me of the Moto X campaign. Google/Motorola loudly hyped USA manufacturing efforts just as Apple was quietly hyping its USA manufacturing efforts. Well, the loudest hyper has shut down its USA manufacturing efforts and unemployed hundreds of workers. And, its cheap smartphones failed to change the world. Apple is expanding its USA manufacturing efforts and employing a lot more people. And, its secret projects have yet to be revealed. Hello? Wall Street? Can you hear Apple now?
  • Reply 24 of 70
    genovelle wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the protestors were outside the conference? There was a story on CNBC but Google must have called and shut that down.
    The video about it doesn't even say what they are protesting and the sound bite canceled on the air.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000287631&__source=yahoo|headline|quote|video|&par=yahoo

They were protesting rental rate increases.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Android in the car? I don't want the malware in it which may send my car to the river.

google-owned Waze actually delivers popup ads while youre navigating. i shit you not....i was running it fullscreen on my Pioneer AppRadio head unit, where it's a partner app, and the think asked if i wanted to go to a nearby hotel.

what. the ****.

• Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ubernaut View Post

i don't get it most these brands have also committed to car play these cars will have both iOS and android?

why not? the software runs from the device -- your phone. the head unit just has to know how to allow itself to be a touch-enabled terminal. sure they can support both.

• Reply 27 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    genovelle wrote: »

Oh geez. . . must have been a sale on tinfoil at your local grocery.
    http://thenextweb.com/google/2014/06/25/google-io-2014-interrupted-protester-calling-google-develop-conscience/

There are protestors who blame the big techs for driving up rents and displacing the poor in cities like San Fran. At least one showed up at Google I/O\ to complain of an eviction she blames on someone who works at Google . :rolleyes: One other protestor complained about DoD killer robots.

And this is what the the complaints about housing concern. Better read it fast before Google tells CNBC to remove it.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/101679540
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Waiting for the people to start proclaiming that those auto makers on the list are trash and they will never ride in any car made by any of those companies even if their life depended on it.

i think you have a misrepresentation of what apple fans are, and you keep projecting it out into the world rather than deal with the shortcoming.

• Reply 29 of 70
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    google-owned Waze actually delivers popup ads while youre navigating. i shit you not....i was running it fullscreen on my Pioneer AppRadio head unit, where it's a partner app, and the think asked if i wanted to go to a nearby hotel.

what. the ****.
    http://digiday.com/platforms/waze-advertisers/
  • Reply 30 of 70
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Dude, that so-called car integration is bull****!
  • Reply 31 of 70
    haggar wrote: »
    Waiting for the people to start proclaiming that those auto makers on the list are trash and they will never ride in any car made by any of those companies even if their life depended on it.

A lot of new automotive and audio partners announced today:

Alpine
    Bentley
    Clarion
    CloudCar
    Delphi
    FIAT Chrysler
    Freescale
    FUJITSU TEN
    HARMAN
    Infiniti
    JVCKENWOOD
    LG
    Maserati
    Mazda
    Mitsubishi
    Nissan
    Panasonic
    Parrot
    Pioneer
    Renault
    Renesas
    SEAT
    Škoda
    Subaru
    Suzuki
    Symphony Teleca
    Volkswagen
    Volvo
  • Reply 32 of 70
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

what. the ****.
    That ridiculous. Ditch it and get a TomTom or just use your normal TomTom based Apple maps.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    Why do they unveil something that is already outdated? Also, why the hell did Audi sign up for that shit and not CarPlay was google planning something shirty from since the rumors of CarPlay? (Or the iOS in the Car announcement?)
  • Reply 34 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    People keep showing off that render from Moto's website as evidence of how nice Android smart watches are. But I have yet to see anyone actually wearing that watch with that watch face design. I'll believe it when I actually see it and it looks just like that render.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

People keep showing off that render from Moto's website as evidence of how nice Android smart watches are. But I have yet to see anyone actually wearing that watch with that watch face design. I'll believe it when I actually see it and it looks just like that render.

http://gizmodo.com/moto-360-hands-on-this-smartwatch-will-make-you-swoon-1596101326

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/25/moto-360-smartwatch-makes-an-appearance-at-google-i-o/?ncid=rss_truncated

Not quite same as the render, but I think it's reasonable to say it's not too far off.

• Reply 36 of 70
    mistercow wrote: »
    This doesn't make me swoon. That black bar at the bottom is ugly. The only thing that looks good is when the watch face looks like a traditional watch. In that case I'll just go buy a nice traditional watch. I hope whatever Apple is doing is 180° different than this. If "iWatch" is just putting a smartphone on your wrist I think it will fail. Just like I think these Android smart watches will fail. Tech geeks that must have the latest and greatest gadgets might buy them but everyone else will say no thanks.

• Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

This doesn't make me swoon. That black bar at the bottom is ugly. The only thing that looks good is when the watch face looks like a traditional watch. In that case I'll just go buy a nice traditional watch. I hope whatever Apple is doing is 180° different than this. If "iWatch" is just putting a smartphone on your wrist I think it will fail. Just like I think these Android smart watches will fail. Tech geeks that must have the latest and greatest gadgets might buy them but everyone else will say no thanks.

What else would you like a wearable to do besides supplement your phone? 

• Reply 38 of 70
    mistercow wrote: »
    What else would you like a wearable to do besides supplement your phone? 
    I don't need a wearable to duplicate things I can do with my phone. Pulling my phone out of my pocket or handbag isn't that difficult. And if I'm at work in a meeting I'll be focused on my meeting, not distracted by notifications popping up on my wrist.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    delete
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

I don't need a wearable to duplicate things I can do with my phone. Pulling my phone out of my pocket or handbag isn't that difficult. And if I'm at work in a meeting I'll be focused on my meeting, not distracted by notifications popping up on my wrist.

It's not about duplicating, but about making it more readily accessible.  I highly doubt there will ever be a wearable device that can perform a function you wouldn't be able to do with your phone simply due to cpu, battery, size, etc.  If you're focused on your meeting then why would you get distracted by notifications?