Google takes on Apple TV with Android TV connected entertainment platform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member

For apple TV to stay more relevant and on top of set-top box market or even blunt answer to  new google-tv news; apple needs to upgrade processor of apple-tv to A8 or even quad core A8*. This helps to turn it into living room powerful set-top box for living room for the connected devices(iphone,ipad,internet,etc), excellent ios gaming device, with itune, live video streaming device, with added browser support with Siri navigation. That is killing mother of all set-top box for living room.

• Reply 22 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

1080p on YT vids

Hey, yeah. The MP4 version never goes above 720, but there are 1080 streams for Flash.

How stupid is Google, exactly?

• Reply 23 of 61
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

This is the new fragmentation, we need itunes, netflix, hulu, and all the others to watch the content that we actually want to watch.

That's why I have twice written to Warner to tell them that I'm not buying their fancy disc sets because the UltraViolet "Digital Copy" they provide is not iTunes compatible. I explain that I am very happy to have all my digital content handled by one, very well-established and widely-accepted system and am NOT prepared to add confusion by having some titles here and others there, particularly when the new system is cloud-only which chews through my data allotment when I even HAVE a connection and completely prevents me from watching AT ALL when I don't (like on the subway).

When you find that an offering fails to meet your particular requirements or preferences, take a moment to send the supplier a note TELLING them that you're not sending any of your money their way and why. It works.

• Reply 24 of 61
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Haven't we been down the Google TV road before?

I really like Google TV and use it a lot.  It integrates Search, IMDB, Netflix very well.  The browser is lousy.  But the real problem with Google TV is that it doesn't close the loop.  After searching for shows, it gives me the link, but then I can't set it for recording from Google TV.  It takes me back to the God Awful Comcast box where I have to set it for recording.  Totally messes up the flow.  Tivo in 2002 had got the interface down pat.  I didn't see anything in Android TV that has fixed this.  It's improved the UI considerably, offers more (expensive) choices to watch Movies, but has no integration whatsoever with my Cable service.  I hear that it's integrated well with Dish Network and if so, then it's a great service for Dish users.  Not much use to me.

• Reply 25 of 61

If its anything like the featureless Google Fiber then its not all that different. 

• Reply 26 of 61
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, yeah. The MP4 version never goes above 720, but there are 1080 streams for Flash.

How stupid is Google, exactly?

You're correct about the straight MP4 files but I think the YouTube HTML5 player goes up to 1080p. It's kind of weird.

• Reply 27 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Does anyone have experience with DVRs for over-the-air TV? I have no interest in cable or satellite and my ancient VCR is junk, but I would like to record some programs using my digital tuner for viewing later and I'm looking for solutions that also do not rely on an Internet connection... Any real-world "cord-cutter" recommendations?

• Reply 28 of 61
    It's like BetaMax for the digital age.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

So, just quit dreaming about Apple TV with full iOS. It won't happen anytime soon or ever.

there will be a section of the app store for apps that use the new p2p airplay extension, and in effect run off the atv.

http://bigzaphod.tumblr.com/post/87823968514/apples-game

Quote:

Apple now has everything they need to disrupt the game console industry in a way that none of them see coming. I predict that we’ll see a new AppleTV update (and hardware) this fall along with a new app extension type for AirPlay. AirPlay will become about more than just streaming video to your AppleTV - instead that’ll simply be one of the things you can do with it. Apps (mostly games, I suspect) will be able to bundle an AirPlay extension inside - just like how apps can now bundle photo editing or sharing extensions as of iOS 8. The key difference is where the AirPlay extension app actually executes - instead of running on your device itself from within another host app, the AirPlay extension app will be automatically uploaded to whatever AppleTV you are currently AirPlaying with and will run directly on the AppleTV natively instead. This means no video streaming lag and minimal controller lag.

...i believe!

• Reply 30 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Does anyone have experience with DVRs for over-the-air TV? I have no interest in cable or satellite and my ancient VCR is junk, but I would like to record some programs using my digital tuner for viewing later and I'm looking for solutions that also do not rely on an Internet connection... Any real-world "cord-cutter" recommendations?

You will need a DVR that is specifically designed for OTA.

http://dvr-review.toptenreviews.com

• Reply 31 of 61
    future manfuture man Posts: 108member
    Well there's a good reason why both Apple and Google (among others) are having with the popularity (or lack thereof) of their TV devices- they cannot get universal access to all the programming as that provided by the monopolistic cable companies and the cable companies are not going to surrender any of their market share voluntarily with any other delivery competitor. I wish this were not the case, but unfortunately the cable companies have a near stranglehold on the delivery of massive viewing media to the consumer at a high and inflexible manner. The one glimmer is that it is the content producers who hold the keys to this market, if content providers can make deals with multiple delivery providers, then the hold of cable will be forever broken.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

All strains of Occupy are entitled morons.

not really. i think wanna-be-libertarian techies are morons.

see what i did there?

• Reply 33 of 61
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    bunlo wrote: »
    Google TV should take on their own knock-offs Android PC (sold on eBay), cuz they tried hard to become an entertainment console, sure they just don't have the resource to make it great.

Please, google, enough is enough, you have your own beauty. If you want to kick Apple, mind your own thing, not follow.

Just so I understand this correctly, it is ok for Apple to move into areas that others already exist, but not Google?
  • Reply 34 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

Well there's a good reason why both Apple and Google (among others) are having with the popularity (or lack thereof) of their TV devices- they cannot get universal access to all the programming as that provided by the monopolistic cable companies and the cable companies are not going to surrender any of their market share voluntarily with any other delivery competitor. I wish this were not the case, but unfortunately the cable companies have a near stranglehold on the delivery of massive viewing media to the consumer at a high and inflexible manner. The one glimmer is that it is the content producers who hold the keys to this market, if content providers can make deals with multiple delivery providers, then the hold of cable will be forever broken.

Totally agree, plus the cable companies provide most of the broadband Internet service.

With the announcement yesterday of Live ABC News coming to Apple TV, I realized that news is not so much an entertainment media and on demand, old news has almost no value, so it is not upsetting the cable business. Anything the cable companies have to pay for is not likely to be distributed to Apple TV unless you have a subscription like ESPN or NBA. When you think about it, by the time you buy subscriptions to all the content, on an a la cart basis, you might end up paying more than your full cable subscription.

• Reply 35 of 61
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

Google TV should take on their own knock-offs Android PC (sold on eBay), cuz they tried hard to become an entertainment console, sure they just don't have the resource to make it great.

Please, google, enough is enough, you have your own beauty. If you want to kick Apple, mind your own thing, not follow.

Actually, since everyone, there mother and there pets are releasing an ARM based TV box with apps and games BEFORE apple does, Apple will be the one "following"...  unless they come up with something unexpected. Currently, Apple is taking so long to update its Apple TV its the worst choice out there, but if you are in Apple ecosystem, you have no real choice, you have to wait for them for an update.

• Reply 36 of 61
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

Well with DSL IPTV (AT&T Uverse for example) and cable (Comcast), that sector is seeing competition.  Here in the Montreal area, the local cable (videotron) is in an all out war with DSL IPTV (Bell fibe)

Its only a matter of time before internet IPTV becomes the third guy. That being said, DSL or Cable do control the pipe, which put them at an advantage over pure internet feeds. I am convince that regardless where you get you're feeds, pricing will be roughly the same. Internet IPTV will have to sell for a lot less considering you will have to pay an expensive broadband package to get the feeds.

• Reply 37 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">My favorite from Google I/O:   </span>
    Android "L" will be 64 Bit. 
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Ahh, there's the "innovation" we've been waiting for.</span>

Did they really say that? I hadn't seen it mentioned so I suppose they don't consider it terribly important right now? Odd that bit of news wasn't picked up by Ars or TechCrunch.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

not really. i think wanna-be-libertarian techies are morons.

see what i did there?

Yes. You forgot to use your caps key.

• Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You will need a DVR that is specifically designed for OTA.

http://dvr-review.toptenreviews.com

Thanks. I was hoping to get the opinions of people who actually have such a set-up, but I appreciate the link.

• Reply 40 of 61
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Google TV was so 2010. Android TV is new and exciting and innovative and so, so different....somehow...
    -Sarcasm