Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

With an even more offensive palette of colors than Apple was widely criticized for adopting.

That's a web page.  Not the OS.  iOS7 looked like a paint factory exploded on the phone.  In fact Android's Holo look is already very good.  The new design language at first glance seems to be better.  I need to spend a little more time learning about it.

• Reply 62 of 110
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

This means your roommates can unlock your Android phone, computer or tablet when you sleep close by with a G-watch. Good one, Google.

Are you serious?  You think your phone can be unlocked by an Android wear device belonging to somebody else? :rolleyes:

• Reply 63 of 110
    koopskoops Posts: 5member
    oohh look at the clowns from dorky dorkville!!! what a bunch of retarted looking idiots!!!
  • Reply 64 of 110
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone please explain to me just what the **** these people are doing with Google Glass on their faces while watching the keynote, besides making some sort of douchebag statement? The thing can't even record a clip beyond a few seconds, so its not like theyre recording the keynote. I have no problem with devices like Google Glass when they have a real benefit to the user in that specific situation. But Glass evangelists are insistent on basically wearing them ALL THE TIME, for no fucking reason whatsoever. 

they are complete tools, basking in their front-row toolishness...

• Reply 65 of 110
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Did you notice that when Google announced Docs will have full native compatibility with Microsoft Office they did so without once mentioning Microsoft by name> I don't think any competitive platform was mentioned in the entire Google I/O presentation for that matter were they? I like that they concentrated on discussing improvements and products from their own stable without resorting to any bashing of anyone else. Plenty of that already going around without the principals stooping to it.

Not by name, but there were a couple of jibes about 'other companies' when they brought up the timeline of major Android features and highlighted how Intents, multitasking and the like were added back in 2008.

• Reply 66 of 110
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    In one day we have Android L with several features that appear to be inspired by iOS, Android TV, Android in the Car and AndroidWatch.

And they say only Samsung is copying Apple's playbook
  • Reply 67 of 110
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    I kinda like it. It's going the exact OPPOSITE direction of iOS aesthetically -- adding depth instead of removing it. I think the "flat design" approach is a bad idea. An extra dimension (depth) provides another means of delineating elements and reduces perceived clutter.

Honestly, if Android could provide the security Apple offers I might be tempted. But it doesn't so I'm not.

iOS 7 is flat in neither intent nor fact. Rather, Apple has used effects like transparency to give a sense of depth and layering to the UI. What Google is doing here is imitating Apple plain and simple.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I think shadows make for better separation than blurs or transparency.
  • Reply 69 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Not by name, but there were a couple of jibes about 'other companies' when they brought up the timeline of major Android features and highlighted how Intents, multitasking and the like were added back in 2008.

Before iOS 4:  "LOL ur phone don't have multitaskin"

After iOS4: "Oh noe u stoled our ideea"                              

And thats it for this episode of *Crap android fanboys say* Tune in next time for "but our phones had big skreen b4 urz"

• Reply 70 of 110
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    gwydion wrote: »
    It reminds you iOS 7 because it is iOS 7
    WTF…
  • Reply 71 of 110
    Hands down Google has lost its i ovation for days. This is Google iOS 7. Just mod the dam droids to run iOS. Google, well we're out of ideas for android so lets just make iOS 7 for android. I hope Apple sure the day lights out of Google and people relies all this forgery they've done.
  • Reply 72 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    os2baba wrote: »
    That's a web page.  Not the OS.  iOS7 looked like a paint factory exploded on the phone.  In fact Android's Holo look is already very good.  The new design language at first glance seems to be better.  I need to spend a little more time learning about it.
    Sorry I don't see anything that fantastic with Android redesign. Even some of the comments on the Verge agreed. That's saying something since most of the commenters on the Verge are Google fanboys
  • Reply 73 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    georgeip5 wrote: »
    WTF…
    I posted a screen shot of a Google iOS app.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    Wait… he wants android to ink ate faster? Well when your at 0 then sure. Here's a good start stop copying Apple ideas.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

This means your roommates can unlock your Android phone, computer or tablet when you sleep close by with a G-watch. Good one, Google.

Android users make enough money where we don't need roomates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

iOS 7 is flat in neither intent nor fact. Rather, Apple has used effects like transparency to give a sense of depth and layering to the UI. What Google is doing here is imitating Apple plain and simple.

Apple's transparency is to give depth on "shades" that are pulled up, i.e. notification center and quick controls.  Google's version is to give depth to objects on pages to highlight items or to make actionable items more noticeable.  There's quite a difference

• Reply 76 of 110
    I literally just face palmed. Some android users thought it would be called Lollipop, buys it called Android L. WHAT DO YOU THINK THE L STANDS FOR?
  • Reply 77 of 110
    It's seems continuity was also high jacked.
  • Reply 78 of 110

tHAT IS AN APP ON Ios7

• Reply 79 of 110

Quick reply has been in Android for years

• Reply 80 of 110
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ooh it has shadows! Android FTW!

I think the extra dimension improves usability. It's actually fine with me if you don't but it would be easier for me to respect your opinion if you stated it without insulting mine.