Google takes on Apple TV with Android TV connected entertainment platform

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    What an Apple TV rip off. It's like every single Google employee has been replaced by someone at samsung. There trying to copy as much features as they can except before ghetto had boundaries. What is to become of Android. Once the training wheels are ditched their gone for ever.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You will need a DVR that is specifically designed for OTA.

http://dvr-review.toptenreviews.com

Thanks. I was hoping to get the opinions of people who actually have such a set-up, but I appreciate the link.

That's why I pointed you to that site because they are experts and have tested all the models, with pros and cons of each one. Some average Joe who has a set up at home can only recommend either for or against one unit. If you look through the list on that site, you can then research further by going to a dealer like Solid Signal who have even more experienced OTA antenna technicians. Why seek advice from some anonymous forum poster?

I have an OTA set up but I'm no expert.

• Reply 43 of 61
    Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result?

Hello Microsoft and Google!
  • Reply 44 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result?

It's called persistence.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Each of the 5 other times they were different. This 6th time will be different. It doesn't mean they are making the right changes but they are making changes so it's not the exact same thing.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Almost had to buy another Apple TV puck but my new $400 Vizio 38" 120hz ultra thin TV has all the streaming capabilities I need
  • Reply 47 of 61
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    EDIT: Post deleted.

I will not be drawn into political arguments on AI

• Reply 48 of 61

delete

• Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:

Does anyone have experience with DVRs for over-the-air TV? I have no interest in cable or satellite and my ancient VCR is junk, but I would like to record some programs using my digital tuner for viewing later and I'm looking for solutions that also do not rely on an Internet connection... Any real-world "cord-cutter" recommendations?

I have been using eyeTV for 7 or 8 years now. Its one of the most intuitive and easiest software on any platform.  The recording quality is great. The are many options for coverting, but i found that Handbrake is still better. 

• Reply 50 of 61
    Apple has been dragging their feet in this department, ATV could use some really basic features
    It's amazing apple hasn't done it yet, but apparently there is a major upgrade for it this year or next year.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    gwmac wrote: »
    The actual device you use is becoming largely irrelevant. Does it really matter if you use an ATV, a Google device, A PS4, or Xbox, or Roku, or a dozen other options to watch Netflix or HBOGo? I have a PS3, a PS4, a Roku, and now a Google Chromecast spread over 4 TV's in my house and they all get the job done. My only requirement is that they can work with Plex well because I have over 1,000movies stored on a Mac, and can play Netflix and HBOGo. I have shied away from ATV because I heard it does not play as well with Plex though that may have changed.

You can play most movies without Plex on an ATV via iTunes. Now the pirates have finally caught on to MPEG4 most tracks are compatible. Just source .MP4 content or remux from .MKV with Subler. Untick Copy to library in iTunes, so your movies stay where they are, and you're done.

McD
  • Reply 52 of 61
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    It seems like eventually every company will have access to everything.It would be interesting if apple created an itunes app that you allowed you to play your itunes content on a ps4 or amazon tv or whatever. This is the new fragmentation, we need itunes, netflix, hulu, and all the others to watch the content that we actually want to watch.

A valid point and service fragmentation is certainly what I'm experiencing. An app-centric approach to AppleTV is not the way forward. Now Amazon & Google have publicized their designs, Apple should remove the ATV UI completely and deliver aggregated content by a single, multi-service aggregation app which pops up on my lock screen whenever I'm near the ATV.

I just wish they would hurry up.

McD
  • Reply 53 of 61
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member

This is rather sad.

It's like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon are not even trying anymore. They've fired all of their R&D folks and visionaries and simply wait for Apple to tell them what to do next.This is very bad for consumers, a drag on innovation, and bad for society in general. As good as Apple may be it's not like they have ALL the answers. Google may as well change their logo to an apple - but with two bites taken out of it.

Who knows, maybe this is simply the next phase in human industrial evolution. We had the stone age, the bronze age, the iron age, the age of industrial revolution, the space age, and now we have the "Apple Age."

So the real questions that we should really be asking are where the heck is the GM Phone, the Ford TV, the BMW App Store, and the Hostess Twinkie Tablet. Rather than chastising the swarm of innovation me-too-ers we should be expecting much more adherence to the new world order that Apple has singularly established for all others to follow. 

• Reply 54 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dewme wrote: »
    This is rather sad.

It's like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon are not even trying anymore. They've fired all of their R&D folks and visionaries and simply wait for Apple to tell them what to do next.This is very bad for consumers, a drag on innovation, and bad for society in general. As good as Apple may be it's not like they have ALL the answers. Google may as well change their logo to an apple - but with two bites taken out of it.

Who knows, maybe this is simply the next phase in human industrial evolution. We had the stone age, the bronze age, the iron age, the age of industrial revolution, the space age, and now we have the "Apple Age."

So the real questions that we should really be asking are where the heck is the GM Phone, the Ford TV, the BMW App Store, and the Hostess Twinkie Tablet. Rather than chastising the swarm of innovation me-too-ers we should be expecting much more adherence to the new world order that Apple has singularly established for all others to follow. 

I see them as all trying — and trying very hard — but they don't have Apple's focus. I'd say Amazon has shown the most focus by demonstrating the most complete products as well as having launch relatively soon launch dates.

Google demonstrated yesterday that they are all over the place. From the poorly rehearsed keynote to multiple failed demos so simply being way too long and unorganized it was failure. The problem is they don't know what to take out. The general rule is you don't make it longer than James Cameron's Titanic… and you should definitely make it more entertaining.

Google fucked up.

That said, I do think their 6th attempt at the living room looks pretty good now that it's doing what the Apple TV essentially did back in 2009 or 2010. However, Google should be also for increased usability in rapid time for Android users compared to what Apple can offer. Will that experience be as good? Probably not but when you take in the whole entertain center as being a horrible experience I think Google could gain some ground. Plus, didn't demo this against an iPhone so it won't be Android-specific.

I do wonder what they'll do with ChromeCast. it's a different product but it also causes buyer confusion. Stick with a solution that works, Google. Enough of trying to convince your rapid fans that you have no interest in successful products.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Does anyone have experience with DVRs for over-the-air TV? I have no interest in cable or satellite and my ancient VCR is junk, but I would like to record some programs using my digital tuner for viewing later and I'm looking for solutions that also do not rely on an Internet connection... Any real-world "cord-cutter" recommendations?

Here is an OTA receiver with a built in DVR.

http://www.amazon.com/brite-View-BV-980H-Digital-Supported-Shifting/dp/B004XIB9UA

• Reply 56 of 61
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Haven't we been down the Google TV road before?

Multiple times! They have all been still born.

• Reply 57 of 61
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see them as all trying — and trying very hard — but they don't have Apple's focus....

...Google demonstrated yesterday that they are all over the place. From the poorly rehearsed keynote to multiple failed demos...being way too long and unorganized it was failure. The problem is they don't know what to take out....you should definitely make it more entertaining.

Google fucked up.

My apologies in advance to "Animal House" as a whole and to Mr. John Belushi:

Dean Vernon Wormer: Here are your grade point averages. Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the Google pledge class. Mr. Dorfman?

Flounder: [drunk] Hello!

Dean Vernon Wormer: 0.2... Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Mr. Hoover, president of Delta house? 1.6; four C's and an F. A fine example you set! Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete. Mr. Blu...

[sees Bluto with a pair of pencils in his nostrils]

Dean Vernon Wormer: Google… zero... point... zero.

[Bluto shrugs]

[the Google TV has been expelled]

Google: Christ. Seven years of Google TV down the drain. Might as well join the fucking Peace Corps.

• Reply 58 of 61
    …<span style="line-height:1.4em;">1080p on YT vids</span>

Hey, yeah. The MP4 version never goes above 720, but there are 1080 streams for Flash.

How stupid is Google, exactly?

Four planks.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/180896/google-takes-on-apple-tv-with-android-tv-connected-entertainment-platform#post_2555636 layout=inline]EDIT: Post deleted.[/CONTENTEMBED]

Good boy.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    An Android TV demo was posted from Google I/O yesterday for those curious:
    [VIDEO]