Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB mode

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Clearing inventories....

Bingo!

All products with the A5 will be off the market by the end of this year...  I'm guessing Apple wants to move everything to 64-bit ASAP, so most will at least have an A7 - except "budget" models, that will still use the A6.
  • Reply 22 of 116
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Maybe this is a sign that bump in space will no longer go up $100 for double space on the iPhone as well??? now $50? ($199, $249, $300)

Once can hope....

No. It is not.

The iPod touch is a weak product. Its niche market is smaller than AppleTV. This aggressive pricing is in response to weak demand. Nothing more.

The iPhone is not getting any cheaper. That's Apple's bread and butter.

• Reply 23 of 116

Can we please hear from all the people who think this means Apple is trying to clear inventory for the successful iPod touch product to get ready for the 'brand new' iPod touch launching later this year? Come on, please? I love those people.

What you just saw here is the extent of the iPod touch updates for 2014.

• Reply 24 of 116
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    pmz wrote: »
    Can we please hear from all the people who think this means Apple is trying to clear inventory for the successful iPod touch product to get ready for the 'brand new' iPod touch launching later this year? Come on, please? I love those people.

What you just saw here is the extent of the iPod touch updates for 2014.

There you go again.

"Apple will never increase the price of the iPad mini or make it the same specs as the full sized iPad"

Figured you'd learn your lesson by now.

We'll most likely see an updated model launched alongside the iPads this October- and if it happens I'll be buying one day one for my 5 yr old (who had the current touch). See how I don't make definitive claims so that I don't look like a complete idiot if they happen?
  • Reply 25 of 116
    I do think the Classic is gone this year since Apple keeps pulling all references to it from their website, but a Touch update would not surprise me. The Nano might also get a redesign. I expect the shuffle to stay the same apart from a possible storage bump from 2GB to 4GB.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Clearing inventories....

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

The $199 model is a new model. It's 16GB with a camera, which wasn't the case with the old cheapest iPod Touch.

This looks like getting the iPod Touch sales out of the way while Apple focuses on other stuff this fall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The iPhone 4s, iPad 2, and iPd mini all have the A5 as well, and they'll be upgradable to iOS 8 and so will the latest iPod touch models

All of the above,

This is the 4" 'entry level' iOS device.   

Consumes the A5s, the 4" retina glass, the cameras, the Flash... all the parts Apple probably bought in 10M units for the 4 and 4s. 

with iMessage w/ FaceTime Audio, it's a VOIP phone as well, at least back to the iOS fleet.

• Reply 27 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

There you go again.

"Apple will never increase the price of the iPad mini or make it the same specs as the full sized iPad"

Figured you'd learn your lesson by now.

We'll most likely see an updated model launched alongside the iPads this October- and if it happens I'll be buying one day one for my 5 yr old (who had the current touch). See how I don't make definitive claims so that I don't look like a complete idiot if they happen?

There you go again. Adding nothing to conversation, distorting previous posts, name calling, and borderline stalking.

You bore me, like you wouldn't believe. Look at that line I bolded. How sad is that. Do you really feel like that's how the internet works? I can say whatever I want, and be completely right or completely wrong, and guess what? It makes no difference. At least its more interesting than what you contribute, which amounts to nothing more than out-of-context post stalking.

My post was calling out the delusional people that have been viewing iPhone leaks as a possible iPod touch product. For a laundry list of reasons, that is the most absurd thing anyone could ever get behind. You want to call someone idiot? Start with those clueless people.

• Reply 28 of 116
    Was (Product) RED always in big letters? On the iPod Nano page it's on it's own line separated from the other colors. http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipod/ipod-nano?aid=www-k2-ipod nano - index-n%40p&cp=k2-ipod nano -n%40p
  • Reply 29 of 116
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

No. It is not.

The iPod touch is a weak product. Its niche market is smaller than AppleTV. This aggressive pricing is in response to weak demand. Nothing more.

The iPhone is not getting any cheaper. That's Apple's bread and butter.

Weak product? Smaller than Apple TV market?

26 MM iPods sold in the last fiscal year, more than half were Touches. < 10 MM Apple TVs sold in the same FY. Sure Apple TV is growing but it hasn't surpassed the touch yet.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    addicted44 wrote: »
    The $199 model is a new model.

It's an old model in a smaller storage option.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What if Apple has three events this fall: iPhone/wearables, iPad/Mac and Apple TV/iPod? To me Metal is a clue that Apple is planning something related to gaming. IF Apple has an Apple TV with App Store and gaming capabilities in the works I think it deserves it's own event. Maybe it would get pushed out to Q12015. But Eddy Cue did talk up this amazing pipeline. My guess is it has to be more than an "iWatch" and bigger phone.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

There you go again. Adding nothing to conversation, distorting previous posts, name calling, and borderline stalking.

You bore me, like you wouldn't believe. Look at that line I bolded. How sad is that. Do you really feel like that's how the internet works? I can say whatever I want, and be completely right or completely wrong, and guess what? It makes no difference. At least its more interesting than what you contribute, which amounts to nothing more than out-of-context post stalking.

My post was calling out the delusional people that have been viewing iPhone leaks as a possible iPod touch product. For a laundry list of reasons, that is the most absurd thing anyone could ever get behind. You want to call someone idiot? Start with those clueless people.

1) What have you added? You made a snarky attack at the idea that the iPod Touch could be updated with new components this year and then foolishly made an absolute claim saying that it can't possibly happen.

2) If you think being reasonable and balanced is the same as making wild prognostications about the future simply because "that's how the internet works? I can say whatever I want" then you need to examine your definition of clueless and need to question why would post anything if "it makes no difference." I can tell you that [@]Andysol[/@] and many other poster's comments matter to me because they get to me to think about possibilities that I may not have considered and I tend to trust their comments because they post them in a thought provoking way that isn't claiming to have some inside knowledge or making closed, absolute statements that don't allow for discussion.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    rogifan wrote: »
    What if Apple has three events this fall: iPhone/wearables, iPad/Mac and Apple TV/iPod? To me Metal is a clue that Apple is planning something related to gaming. IF Apple has an Apple TV with App Store and gaming capabilities in the works I think it deserves it's own event. Maybe it would get pushed out to Q12015. But Eddy Cue did talk up this amazing pipeline. My guess is it has to be more than an "iWatch" and bigger phone.

I think it would be unprecedented. If the iPods get updated again like they did last year I would imagine it would be a fairly silent. How did they do it back in 2011?

I think Metal could be great but how much work do developers need to do to support it in their apps? I'd think it's a lot more work than updating an app to support AArch64.

If we're talking the typical 2 or three events how would they go? iPhone with iPads? iPhone with Apple TV? I'd think the rumoured iWatch wouldn't be put in with the new iPhone, but would it come before or after? I'd think that it would be best to come before.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think it would be unprecedented. If the iPods get updated again like they did last year I would imagine it would be a fairly silent. How did they do it back in 2011?

I think Metal could be great but how much work do developers need to do to support it in their apps? I'd think it's a lot more work than updating an app to support AArch64.

If we're talking the typical 2 or three events how would they go? iPhone with iPads? iPhone with Apple TV? I'd think the rumoured iWatch wouldn't be put in with the new iPhone, but would it come before or after? I'd think that it would be best to come before.
    Depends if the wearable device will be highly depending on iPhone. I guess it also depends how Apple will be positioning this product. At this point it's not clear to me that "iWatch" or whatever it will be called is big enough to warrant its won event. Certainly not if it's going to be positioned as an iPhone accessory. IMO something major in the Apple TV space could warrant its own event, but maybe that won't happen until Q1 2015.
  • Reply 35 of 116
    solipsismx wrote: »

Another twist....9to5Mac claims Apple is exploring mainstream "smart home" hardware and HomeKit was built with those plans in mind. I always figured something like that had to be in the works. I think Apple needs to diversify its revenue stream so it's not so heavily weighted to iPhone. And how does offering API's for 3rd parties increase Apple's revenue stream outside of iPhone? I'd love to see Apple get into this space.

http://tinyurl.com/knwdxvr
  • Reply 36 of 116
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Clearing inventories....

Nope.

Apple maintains extremely tight inventories in their own retail channels (online store, bricks-and-mortar stores), probably around 30-45 days inventory. If they want to end-of-life a model, they just turn off the manufacturing spigot and it's gone from the shelves in two months. There's no reason for them to discount current product.

EOL discounting is occasionally done in the channel, because those companies purchase units at wholesale, thus owning their inventory. They aren't selling on a consignment basis.

And it's not like they have a huge amount of excess parts. Remember that the components that make up the iPod touch are used in other iOS devices, and the quantities necessary for iPod touch production are very low, now that the iPod family makes up about 2% of Apple's total revenue. Tim Cook's mastery of the supply chain would not allow Apple to accumulate excessive amounts of parts anyhow.

• Reply 37 of 116
    mpantone wrote: »
    Nope.

Apple maintains extremely tight inventories in their own retail channels (online store, bricks-and-mortar stores), probably around 30-45 days inventory. If they want to end-of-life a model, they just turn off the manufacturing spigot and it's gone from the shelves in two months. There's no reason for them to discount current product.

EOL discounting is occasionally done in the channel, because those companies purchase units at wholesale, thus owning their inventory. They aren't selling on a consignment basis.

And it's not like they have a huge amount of excess parts. Remember that the components that make up the iPod touch are used in other iOS devices, and the quantities necessary for iPod touch production are very low, now that the iPod family makes up about 2% of Apple's total revenue. Tim Cook's mastery of the supply chain would not allow Apple to accumulate excessive amounts of parts anyhow.

That's probably not true for low-volume items. With the iPhone and iPad they are likely pushing these out around the clock but with the iPods they probably have a revolving setup that will produce enough of each type and colour for whatever duration they feel offers them the best return on investment, which I doubt means setting up manufacturing for the iPod Classic every 1 to 1.5 months.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPhone would lead the iPad, Apple TV or alleged iWatch. The iPhone is Apple's revenue champion, everything else trails.

More importantly from a practical standpoint, the next generation iOS release is tied to the iPhone. New iOS hardware will likely follow the iOS & iPhone releases, because everything will largely rely on the new iOS (and tie-ins to iCloud, etc.).

The iWatch? It might end up being a "hobby" for a couple of years. Like the iPad, the initial model might have modest/conservative specs and functionality. Again, a wearable would likely rely on the latest iOS so it would be difficult to ship new hardware before the operating system is released. Of course, there's always the possibility of an iOS fork to help get a wearable out the door, but that probably would not be Apple's preference. The market for wearables is still very much in its infancy. Better to get it right rather put out a lackluster early effort.

• Reply 39 of 116
    With Apple doing these refreshes sans press events, it really makes me think they have A LOT to cover come fall.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's probably not true for low-volume items. With the iPhone and iPad they are likely pushing these out around the clock but with the iPods they probably have a revolving setup that will produce enough of each type and colour for whatever duration they feel offers them the best return on investment, which I doubt means setting up manufacturing for the iPod Classic every 1 to 1.5 months.

It doesn't matter how Apple's manufacturing partners really run their factories. Apple would say "we need 100,000 grey iPod touches -- this will be our last order" anyhow. Apple owns the components in the parts bins. If they are end-of-lifing a product, they would halt component purchases before the last one was assembled.