Rear casing for 'iPhone 6' purportedly shown off in new video from Asia

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
A video showing what appears to be an engineering sample of a rear casing for Apple's next-generation, 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" surfaced earlier this week from Japan, showing a rounded unibody design and a two-part Apple logo.

The casing, published by Japanese blog Mac Otakara, largely matches up with previous leaks and rumors. A rounded flash and microphone hole flank the rear-mounted camera, and the sides move away from the iPhone 5's flat layout to a more rounded form factor.

The interior sports a number of attachment points and screw holes, as well as plastic fixtures near the top and bottom. Additionally, the Apple logo found on the upper part of the back panel is cut out, suggesting Apple may use the location as an antenna window as the company does with the iPad.

It is worth noting that Mac Otakara makes no mention of the provenance of the new part. It was first seen alongside a number of other mockup iPhone 6 units purchased from Chinese marketplace AliExpress, suggesting that it may simply be a speculative part produced by a third-party seller.

No matter its final industrial design, the iPhone 6 is widely expected to come in two versions -- one with a 4.7-inch display and a larger, 5.5-inch "phablet." Other features rumored to be in the offing are a new, 128-gigabyte capacity variant, optical image stabilization, and a faster "A8" CPU.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    If that's the 5.5 inch, then that guy's hands must be huge - It doesn't look that much bigger than my 5S does in my hands...
  • Reply 2 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

At first I thought the 4.7 was the right size, but if the 5.5 is getting better technology perhaps that is the one I will end up with.

• Reply 3 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by StageofHistory View Post

If that's the 5.5 inch, then that guy's hands must be huge - It doesn't look that much bigger than my 5S does in my hands...

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

At first I thought the 4.7 was the right size, but if the 5.5 is getting better technology perhaps that is the one I will end up with.

It’s blatantly the 4.7”. Look at the scale compared to my incredibly sophisticated mockup. Hand height: 7.75” span: 9.25”. Tried to match the position.

I worked out the math for the proper screen size and shape here, so anyone want to work the math on how big this guy’s hands would have to be for that to be a 5.5”?

• Reply 4 of 30
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StageofHistory View Post

The picture in the story is of him holding the 4.7" model. Look at the video where he picks up the 5.5" one, the camera never shows an angle or view close to that screenshot. I didn't need to make a cardboard cut out to figure that out either.

It is pretty clear now that the 5.5" is real, will be released at the same time and not months later, and will be an iPhone and not and iPod as some have ludicrously posited. 

• Reply 5 of 30
    Thanks gwmac... I hadn't watched the video before. Pretty obvious really!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    mstone wrote: »

I agree. If I don't buy a 5.5 inch version, people will question my manhood and my Android friends will laugh at me. /s ;)
  • Reply 7 of 30
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Before we knew the size and people were still guessing, I was hoping for an iPhone 6 around 5". I still think that is the sweet spot but that ship has sailed. The 4.7" is closer to my dream size than the larger one but I will definitely have to think long and hard before I decide. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but all the shorts and jeans I have bought recently have larger pockets that can easily pocket a Note 3 and I would assume the 5.5" iPhone 6 as well. It seems clothes makers have made adjustments to make sure people can now comfortably carry these larger phones. 

• Reply 8 of 30
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s blatantly the 4.7”. Look at the scale compared to my incredibly sophisticated mockup. Hand height: 7.75” span: 9.25”. Tried to match the position.

I worked out the math for the proper screen size and shape here, so anyone want to work the math on how big this guy’s hands would have to be for that to be a 5.5”?

Slow day at work huh? 

• Reply 9 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Slow day at work huh? 

Waiting for a hard drive recovery, unfortunately. :p

Unless you mean the mockup itself; that I did a while ago.

• Reply 10 of 30
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

imo I recommend you use the biggest screen you can handle, after trying a Note 2 and an S3 I will go for the 5.5" iphone 6, which will be about the same has the note 2. The Samsung screens have insane color saturation, its like watching a CSI Miami episode.

My worried is its rumor to be delay for later in the fall, cant wait to upgrade my tiny 4s.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

It seems clothes makers have made adjustments to make sure people can now comfortably carry these larger phones. 

lol, this is possible indeed. I have no problem with that because I cant wear jeans at work and I dont usually wear them at home either.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I agree. If I don't buy a 5.5 inch version, people will question my manhood and my Android friends will laugh at me. /s image

Yeah, it should be evident by now, I don't give a s--t what other people think about me. Well...with one exception, but the size of my iPhone is not a concern for her. ;)

I still think the 4.7 is probably the right size, but the rumor of better camera and larger storage on the 5.5 is intriguing. Probably the deciding factor for me will be if it can fit comfortably, without a case, in the front pocket of Levis 501. 

• Reply 13 of 30
    fuzzypawsfuzzypaws Posts: 111member
    If it's a 4.7" iPhone and 5.5" iPod I'll still come back to the Apple fold, but I would be ecstatic if it actually is a 5.5" phone. My Note 2 has proven infinitely more usable to me than my old iPhone 3GS with its tiny screen, and neither I nor any of my much shorter friends have had any trouble pocketing or one-handing it, but unfortunately in many other aspects Android just isn't as good as iOS. Larger iPhones with a usable screen size for tall people like me give me a reason to come home.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Waiting for a hard drive recovery, unfortunately. :p

Unless you mean the mockup itself; that I did a while ago.

You and Congress.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    Looks good.

Just needs the 5.5" screen to complete things.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    FedGoatFedGoat Posts: 54member
    I can't wait to get my hands on the 5.5" iPhone 6.
    Such a PERFECT size. (for me)
    I think the 4.7" will be a great size too, but for me it's 5.5 all the way....
    After trying out a Note 3 for 14 days, (returned it of course) I know for sure I want the awesome big screen.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

• Reply 18 of 30
    I know it's just the inside, but the sloppiness around the apple logo cut out is killing me. I don't like the asymmetry of the rounded portions. (Note: I'm not talking about the actual apple logo cut out)
  • Reply 19 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    gwmac wrote:
    It is pretty clear now that the 5.5" is real, will be released at the same time and not months later, and will be an iPhone and not and iPod as some have ludicrously posited.

If they have a bigger one, I don't see why they'd delay it. These are all still mockups though like people made for the iPhone 5:

[VIDEO]

I know it's just the inside, but the sloppiness around the apple logo cut out is killing me. I don't like the asymmetry of the rounded portions. (Note: I'm not talking about the actual apple logo cut out)

They are mockups, not made by Apple. If this is the design though, I'd like them to get rid of the horizontal bars and move the camera down:

I don't see the need for the horizontal lines. One of the people with the mockups said the lines are actually painted onto the mockups. They look like plastic in the videos but I suppose paint could look like that too.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The Samsung screens have insane color saturation, its like watching a CSI Miami episode.

You realize that's not a good thing, right?