Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB mode

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sdbryan wrote: »
    OK, strike my use of the letter A rather than the letter O. The reason I want an iPod touch with cellular data is that I sometimes have my iPad with me but I always have my iPod touch. They are both iOS devices but the iPod runs apps just like the iPhone, not a scaled down iPad app. Where there is wifi, all is well. If not, it would be very nice to have cellular data connectivity without the extra bulk of an iPhone (and legacy services with their associated costs).

Extending the month to month data for the iPod would be great because when I am in a location with ample wifi there is no monthly bill (think of it, an "iPhone" with no monthly bill!). Right now Apple has the benefit of the irrationality of fashion. Young children insist that they simply must have an iPhone and parents cave in. What happens when fashion changes? It would be very useful to have an "always connected" iOS device with no mandatory monthly bill to compete with what the cool kids insist is the only must have device.

So just to be clear, I already have my "smaller iPad" and it has more apps designed for it than any iPad (i.e. it runs all iOS apps that are specifically designed for the iPhone form factor). I just want to have the cellular data radio (which would undoubtedly be an option that adds ~$100) so internet connectivity would be improved when one wanders in the wilderness.

p.s. I recently was visiting relatives in Mexico, MO. I had cellular data turned on for my iPad and it did allow me to 'connect' to Verizon but it was neither LTE nor 3G. It was some connection that did not allow for connection to the internet. Bummer.

So how does this help Apple? It doesn't.
  • Reply 82 of 116
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

You're gonna have a monthly payment regardless.

If you buy a phone outright... you pay per month just for the service.

If you get a phone subsidized... you pay per month for the leasing of the phone and for the service.

A simple question to you... Where does the $480 go after 5 years of paying for Netflix?

You are not leasing the phone.  After two years the phone is yours. 

• Reply 83 of 116
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    And then they’re subsidized again, paying the same amount for the next two years. I don’t get your point.

At least the price for the service doesn’t go up like it does for FiOS.
  • Reply 84 of 116
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    You are not leasing the phone.  After two years the phone is yours. 

True... I didn't phrase it correctly.

I was trying to say you're paying for the service and a portion of the phone each month.

My issue was with your "look at all the money you spend over X amount of years" comment.

My point was... you can say that about ANYTHING you pay monthly for.
  • Reply 85 of 116
    Finally, these are really good prices! Great upgrade even i ll not buy cause i don't need it. I have the rest "collection"!
  • Reply 86 of 116
    Quote:

True... I didn't phrase it correctly.

I was trying to say you're paying for the service and a portion of the phone each month.

My issue was with your "look at all the money you spend over X amount of years" comment.

My point was... you can say that about ANYTHING you pay monthly for.

Good you agree with me the phone is not subsidized.  I am not saying the telephone companies are raping us.  They have a lot of other things to spend like building the LTE network.  Further, they have been making the deals better recently. The multi-carriers model are benefiting the consumers.

• Reply 87 of 116
    Good you agree with me the phone is not subsidized. 

What phone?

Sorry... I guess I didn't understand what you were talking about.

You said something about "$3000 over two years" and "people with poor math skills" which sounds like the age-old argument about subsidies.

But... as I have said before... you're still gonna be paying thousands of dollars even if you buy an unlocked phone.

BECAUSE YOU PAY EVERY MONTH FOR SERVICE.
  • Reply 88 of 116
    Quote:

What phone?

Sorry... I guess I didn't understand what you were talking about.

You said something about "$3000 over two years" and "people with poor math skills" which sounds like the age-old argument about subsidies.

But... as I have said before... you're still gonna be paying thousands of dollars even if you buy an unlocked phone.

BECAUSE YOU PAY EVERY MONTH FOR SERVICE.

My earlier post did a calculation based on a AT&T smartphone plan. Some one insisted that the smartphones are subsidized. 

• Reply 89 of 116
    My earlier post did a calculation based on a AT&T smartphone plan. Some one insisted that the smartphones are subsidized. 

AT&T does have subsidized smartphone plans.

But you can also buy a phone outright and simply pay for service.
  • Reply 90 of 116

So should I upgrade from my 4th gen or wait for a possible 6th?

• Reply 91 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Some one insisted that the smartphones are subsidized. 

BECAUSE THEY ARE.

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post

So should I upgrade from my 4th gen or wait for a possible 6th?

The iPhone 6 is the 8th gen. You can already buy the 6th gen.

• Reply 92 of 116

No, I mean the iPod touch.

• Reply 93 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

No, I mean the iPod touch.

Oh, pshh. iPhone hijacking.

You know, I'm not sure how to take this change. I'm starting to think that Apple is full of idiots and that they're going to release a 5.5" phone, again, as always, unusable to everyone, making this the only iPod touch update this year. 

Then again, this could also have been done to clear out stock of the old hardware.

• Reply 94 of 116

I'm kind of torn because if they aren't making a new model, I want to get this one so I'll have a while before it becomes obsolete but if they are making a new one, I should wait until September.  I really hope apple doesn't discontinue this product.

• Reply 95 of 116
    Quote:

I'm kind of torn because if they aren't making a new model, I want to get this one so I'll have a while before it becomes obsolete but if they are making a new one, I should wait until September.  I really hope apple doesn't discontinue this product.

I'm sure you'll find this one well after September.

I'm on the lookout for a new iMac. But I can hang on to my old one for longer. So even if the new iMacs come early next year, I'm still fine with it.

So what I mean is, if you can, it is better to wait and watch.

• Reply 96 of 116

I may be the only one here, but all I care about is the new long overdue iPod Nano and the iWatch if it exists.

• Reply 97 of 116
    chiachia Posts: 713member

With all the noise in this thread has anybody noticed the new 16GB model is available only in the USA?

Furthermore many of the European online Apple stores either refer only to the 32/64GB models or list the old 16GB model as unavailable.

• Reply 98 of 116
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I would like to see the iPods discontinued and replaced by a cheaper iPhone. The image that links into this article is the following:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/45080/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

[VIDEO]

I think that style looks great and I wish that was what the iPhone 5C had been.
  • Reply 99 of 116
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I would like to see the iPods discontinued and replaced by a cheaper iPhone. The image that links into this article is the following:

Not going to happen. Apple isn't going to cannibalize the higher priced iPhones.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    jungmark wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »

Not going to happen. Apple isn't going to cannibalize the higher priced iPhones.

It wouldn't have touch id or the better camera and it would have older spec internals. I wonder what makes the price difference so large between the iPhone and iPod.

Why is a 16GB iPod Touch with A5 $199 but a 16GB iPhone 5C with A6 $549? The iPod is metal, the 5C is plastic so it can't be the material cost.

The difference are A5 -> A6; 5MP camera -> 8MP camera; cellular antenna. That adds $350 to the price.

The fact is, people aren't buying iPods in large numbers any more. They'd make more sales with a $399 iPhone than a $199 iPod. It would cannibalize some of the sales of higher end models but people like the touch id and camera quality.