Audi announces support for Apple's CarPlay in 2015 models

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
German automaker Audi -- a founding member of Google's Android-based Open Automotive Alliance -- on Thursday announced that it has undertaken "intensive dialog" with Apple to integrate the iPhone maker's CarPlay system into new vehicles beginning in 2015.

Audi, which until now did not have a publicly-disclosed relationship with Apple, says it has worked to separate the vehicular and entertainment functions of its in-car system and will add both CarPlay and Android Auto to future releases. Consumers will be able to choose between the platforms "at any time."

"Our customers want to be 'always on' and use the services they know from their smartphones in cars as well," Audi board member Prof. Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg said in a release. "In this regard, we are working closely with leading companies like Google and Apple. In the future, customers will be able to use the functions available to them on their smartphones via the operating systems in their cars as well."

Audi's Silicon Valley development lab has been working with Apple to complete the integration. At press time, Apple had not yet added Audi's famous rings to the official partners list.

As the mobile device market matures, cars are becoming an increasingly important battlefield for manufacturers seeking to differentiate their ecosystems.

Apple unveiled CarPlay, n?e iOS in the Car, at last year's Worldwide Developers Conference with a wide-ranging line of partners from Ferrari to Kia. The initiative gained steam at this year's Geneva Motor Show when models from Ferrari, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz were revealed as the first to sport the new system in 2014.

Google, meanwhile, introduced the Open Automotive Alliance with Audi, GM, and Hyundai earlier this year and showed off the first version of Android Auto at this week's I/O conference in San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Audi […] has worked to separate the vehicular and entertainment functions of its in-car system and will add both CarPlay and Android Auto to future releases. Consumers will be able to choose between the platforms "at any time."

I hope this puts to rest both the concerns about having to buy a car that only supports one or the other as well as comments about not buying a car that has Android in it.
  • Reply 2 of 52

Fingers crossed for news from BMW soon.... otherwise my next car will an Audi again.

• Reply 3 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    About. Bloody. Time.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Anytime now Volkswagen...
  • Reply 5 of 52
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Should probably explain the differences between these things, because they are not the same...

Android Auto is Google's answer to Apple's CarPlay. These are basically protocols that allow connected devices to utilize a car's built-in components as if they were peripherals; display, microphones, speakers, etc...

The Open Automotive Alliance is Google's answer to QNX. These are operating systems that are installed on the car's console and control all the car's features.

At the announcement, Apple's Car Play only worked with QNX based consoles, which is why Audi was missing from Apple's partner line-up.

With this new announcement, it seems CarPlay has been implemented on Android as well *or Audi has decided to stick with QNX and just adopt Android Auto.

Would just like to add... You would have to be completely daft not to support CarPlay when there are well over 100 million CarPlay capable devices (iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s) in the wild and ZERO Android Auto devices.

==============================
    *Added the "or"
  • Reply 6 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Fingers crossed for news from BMW soon.... otherwise my next car will an Audi again.

BMW Group has been a partner.

Unless you mean you want BMW to support Android Auto, which I don't think was mentioned this week. :D
  • Reply 7 of 52

Looks like I can now consider getting an Audi next year after all.  I had crossed them off the list based on there incestuous relationship with Google/Android.  Glad they finally saw the light!  They would have lost a lot of customers, present and future.

- Dr. Scott

• Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

BMW Group has been a partner.
    Unless you mean you want BMW to support Android Auto, which I don't think was mentioned this week. image

Yes, I knew that. But they have not announced anything specific for 2015 models (I called them just a couple of days ago, and there's still no specific info). I will be in the market for a new vehicle in early 2015. The orders for 2015 start in early Fall 2014, so there's still a possibility.

• Reply 9 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I hope this puts to rest both the concerns about having to buy a car that only supports one or the other as well as comments about not buying a car that has Android in it.
    Anyone thinking clearly would know this. But the Apple haters that frequent tech site comment sections feigned ignorance so they could employ faux outrage about being locked into one platform. As if these people would be interested in an Apple designed car infotainment system anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Should probably explain the differences between these things, because they are not the same...

Android Auto is Google's answer to Apple's CarPlay. These are basically protocols that allow connected devices to utilize a car's built-in components as if they were peripherals; display, microphones, speakers, etc...

The Open Automotive Alliance is Google's answer to QNX. These are operating systems that are installed on the car's console and control all the car's features.

At the announcement, Apple's Car Play only worked with QNX based consoles, which is why Audi was missing from Apple's partner line-up.

With this new announcement, it seems CarPlay has been implemented on Android as well.

Would just like to add... You would have to be completely daft not to support CarPlay when there are well over 100 million CarPlay capable devices (iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s) in the wild and ZERO Android Auto devices.

This is not correct. While an in-car OS is part of the OAA's high-level concept, their primary mission is integration of Android devices with in-car systems, ala Android Auto and CarPlay. Note that Audi went to great pains in their press release to note that the car's functionality was walled off from the infotainment portion of the in-car systems.

Quote:

How will Android work inside of the automobile?

We're working with our partners to enable better integration between cars and Android devices in order to create a safer, car optimized experience.

• Reply 11 of 52
    So with Toyota being compatible with CarPlay in 2015, does that also mean Lexus? I certainly hope so.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

With this new announcement, it seems CarPlay has been implemented on Android as well *or Audi has decided to stick with QNX and just adopt Android Auto.

==============================

*Added the "or"

QNX announced it had integrated support for CarPlay, but I have seen nothing saying QNX is required for CarPlay. Looks like video streaming of the UI (akin to Airplay) and an interface for control input to be sent back to the phone. Looks like you could implement that on any in-dash system.

• Reply 13 of 52
    Ulrich Hackenberg? Sounds like a made up name.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Ulrich Hackenberg? Sounds like a made up name.

Wasn't he the crystal meth kingpin from Breaking Bad? :lol:
  • Reply 15 of 52
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Just hope that all of these manufacturers include carplay, etc. at little to no additional cost.

It doesn't really cost them anything extra in terms of hardware or software to implement/integrate.

If they are going to require a $2K navigation upgrade to enable it, that would suck. Especially because the navigation feature would be pointless with carplay.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

Anytime now Volkswagen...

Seems bizarre they wouldn't do it as well since they're so closely tied with Audi.  I'll likely be in the market for a new car in 2016, and if VW hasn't announced anything by then, I'll go with an Audi.  My TDI is mostly Audi parts under the hood anyways.

• Reply 17 of 52
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Lets go Hyundai!!!

• Reply 18 of 52
    I'm delighted to see Audi specifically announce its alliance with Apple CarPlay. These are the two unassailable BEST tech brands on the market, in their respective categories (i.e., automotive and consumer electronics) IMO. Lack of mention of Audi during the WWDC was disappointing to millions of their owners like me. Bravo Audi!
  • Reply 19 of 52
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Seems bizarre they wouldn't do it as well since they're so closely tied with Audi.  I'll likely be in the market for a new car in 2016, and if VW hasn't announced anything by then, I'll go with an Audi.  My TDI is mostly Audi parts under the hood anyways.

I totally agree. I wonder if they ever did announce it or with the car companies they are announcing I wonder if the auto makers would update to be backwards compatible with say my, 2010 Golf?

• Reply 20 of 52
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

I totally agree. I wonder if they ever did announce it or with the car companies they are announcing I wonder if the auto makers would update to be backwards compatible with say my, 2010 Golf?

I'd imagine you'd need an after-market solution to get it in older models.  I got the nav/phone system option with mine, but I highly doubt it'd ever be upgradable to CarPlay.  Would likely need to rip it out and install a whole new unit.