Apple will no longer develop Aperture or iPhoto, OS X Yosemite Photos app to serve as replacement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 219
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Features you love will be removed.

Then they will be added back in.

Advice to Aperture users:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. Send feedback to apple.com/feedback once Photos is out, telling them which missing Aperture features (if any) are important to you.

3. Keep using Aperture until Photos can meet your needs. Aperture still exists.

4. I hear good things about Lightroom. Which is surreal to me, since everything I have personally experienced from Adobe in recent years has been negative! But it's nice to have options.

Precisely because Adobe has turned so many people off with their subscription-only pricing model (and the expensive app pricing before that), Apple should have continued to provide alternatives.

Furthermore, this reinforces the notion that you shouldn't buy apps, especially pro-apps, from Apple because there is no commitment over the long term that they'll continue to support those apps.    So even though they claim they're going to support the pro video and audio apps, who really knows?

And it also reinforces the notion that Macs aren't for pros anymore.    But if Photos has all the functionality of Aperture, then it's all fine. 

IMO, very bad moves by Apple (unless they are buying Adobe, but I doubt there's any reality to that).  

• Reply 22 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

And?

Non-event if there ever was one. 

Those who were serious about this area moved to Lightroom long ago. 

It's the few that were sitting on the fence - waiting in hope - who will be affected, and who, incidentally, should have also moved to Lightroom a long time ago. Well now they can. 

And Apple *will* be replacing these apps. The result? We don't know. But solutions abound, that's for sure. There is no shortage of photo management/editing software for OS X. 

I for one look froward to using - to whatever degree I can - a FULLY SUPPORTED Photo management/editing app from Apple. And finally Apple have committed themselves to exactly that with Yosemite. 

• Reply 23 of 219
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    Apple is planning on making Photos the solution for both consumers and pros. Photography is becoming increasingly important to Apple every year as they improve the quality of their cameras and the software that supports them. The Photos app will incorporate the same type of technology seen in iOS 8 where there is an easy way to make automatic adjustments to photos but also give you access to the finer controls if you want to use them. I don't think we'll lose functionality from Aperture. It'll just be in a new package.
  • Reply 24 of 219
    bad news for me
  • Reply 25 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Probably everything from Aperture will be available in the new Photos app. Everyone will get the Pro tools for free if true. I wouldn't worry until we see what the Photos app will do.

That would really surprise me. Photos (like iPhoto) will be targeted at folks taking pictures with their iPhones. While I can see the obvious (and currently missing from iPhoto) features (such as straightening, non-destructive editing, brushes, and some of the color tools) being ported over, I'd be surprised if they could include some of the more advanced features such as organization, stacks, lift & stamp (to name only a few) without confusing people like my mother.

• Reply 26 of 219
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    This is disgusting. Apple sells its loyal pro customers to notoriously greedy, subscriptions-only, buggy, non-OSX-compliant Adobe.
    Even with upgraded iCloud storage up to 1TB would my photo library not fit on iCloud and the nerve it takes for Apple to suggest that anything but throwaway pictures be "secured" in the cloud in the post-Snowden era is just an outright insult to our intelligence.
  • Reply 27 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

And it also reinforces the notion that Macs aren't for pros anymore.  

Macs can run Lightroom. 

• Reply 28 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

This is disgusting. Apple sells its loyal pro customers to notoriously greedy, 

Apple's loyal Pro customers bought Macs. 

Which run "Pro" software. Like Lightroom. 

• Reply 29 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grblade View Post

Apple is planning on making Photos the solution for both consumers and pros. Photography is becoming increasingly important to Apple every year as they improve the quality of their cameras and the software that supports them. The Photos app will incorporate the same type of technology seen in iOS 8 where there is an easy way to make automatic adjustments to photos but also give you access to the finer controls if you want to use them. I don't think we'll lose functionality from Aperture. It'll just be in a new package.

Quite likely THIS  ^^^

• Reply 30 of 219

Does this mean that all my photos will be required to be stored in the cloud, to use the Photos app?  If so, it's a huge fail because many of us just don't have that kind of bandwidth.  And often are working totally offline.

This story is so bereft of detail (both here on AI and elsewhere) that it qualifies as TROLLING because of the FUD it stirs up!

• Reply 31 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's the few that were sitting on the fence - waiting in hope - who will be affected, and who, incidentally, should have also moved to Lightroom a long time ago. Well now they can. 

Why should I have moved a long time ago? I mean, I thought about moving, but I "waited in hope" that Aperture would come up to par soon with Lightroom and I would be able to avoid the pain of migrating a rather large library over and the loss of the unrestricted workflow that Aperture gives you.

Yes, in hindsight, I should have moved. But yesterday I had no way of knowing Apple had dropped future development of Aperture.

• Reply 32 of 219
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    initiator wrote: »
    This is even more surprising because the new Photos app doesn't seem to be anymore than a retooled iPhoto with a new name

That sounds to me like they are just making the apps part of the OS, like they do with iTunes. Sure, every Mac comes with iPhoto and other apps previous under the grouping iLife (which at one time included iTunes) but this will mean it will get updated with the OS. This will probably allow for better integration with their iCloud-based services. Right now, they might be hobbled by customers not caring about spending $10(?) for the new iPhoto on an older Mac even if it's running the latest version of Mavericks so it's probably a decision to strengthen their ecosystem.
    Apple should just come out and say is that they are abandoning the professional photo software market entirely. That would be more honest.

Saying they will no longer develop Aperture seems very clear to me.
    I find this decision strange. With the introduction of the new Mac Pro, Apple seemed to have affirmed its commitment to the pro market. Abandoning one of their pro apps just doesn't make much sense. I could see if they decided to discontinue the Mac Pro and all pro apps entirely to focus only on consumers. But, that's not what they did.

I am not a photographer but I do some and I don't think any of them use Aperture. Aren't there better solutions out there? I'd think if they are abandoning it that the number of customers aren't high enough to warrant the expense cost of development.
  • Reply 33 of 219
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

What the WHAAAAAAAT??!!!  :wow:

• Reply 34 of 219
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post

What will be the difference between Photos for OS X and iPhoto on the Mac?

iPhoto is going to be replaced by the nicer and more powerful Photos.

It's extremely odd they've now shown two different designs for the app.

• Reply 35 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Why should I have moved a long time ago? I mean, I thought about moving, but I "waited in hope" that Aperture would come up to par soon with Lightroom and I would be able to avoid the pain of migrating a rather large library over and the loss of the unrestricted workflow that Aperture gives you.

Yes, in hindsight, I should have moved. But yesterday I had no way of knowing Apple had dropped future development of Aperture.

Writing was kinda on the wall. 

• Reply 36 of 219
    crushedcrushed Posts: 18member
    I am one of those who has been using Aperture from version 1.0. I hate Lightroom because it imposes a workflow and interface on you that just doesn't make sense to me. I love Aperture and have been hoping upon hope that we would see lens corrections and real non destructive plugin support. I am seriously shocked at this unofficial way of announcing such an important decision. They could have just as well announced this years ago or say so clearly now that photos will be a worthy successor. The description above is just faff!
  • Reply 37 of 219
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    To the people who think this won't be a feature loss:
    - why would Apple work with Adobe to transition Aperture users to Lightroom if all of Aperture's features would remain?
    - no mention of a plugin architecture for the new app
    - no verbiage like with finalcut pro x that it's targeting pros, etc.
    Apple is quickly losing its aim by turning everything into a closed consumer only platform with no decent alternative: neither windows nor Linux have what apple's pro segment offered.
    If Apple wants to be a content oriented consumer company then it shouldn't forget that content needs a creation platform, too.
    Professionals can hold out on old software for a while but then what?
  • Reply 38 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Writing was kinda on the wall. 

Oh I dunno - again, hindsight. Apple had been dropping minor updates over the years adding minor functionality enhancements as recently as late last year. I think that's what kept my hope alive that they hadn't abandoned us completely. I've been on Aperture since 1.0, having attended one of their traveling workshops to introduce the software (back when it was $500). I'm disappointed.

• Reply 39 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crushed View Post

I am one of those who has been using Aperture from version 1.0. I hate Lightroom because it imposes a workflow and interface on you that just doesn't make sense to me. I love Aperture and have been hoping upon hope that we would see lens corrections and real non destructive plugin support. I am seriously shocked at this unofficial way of announcing such an important decision. They could have just as well announced this years ago or say so clearly now that photos will be a worthy successor. The description above is just faff!

^^^^^^ this. I suppose I'll get used to the workflow Lightroom imposes. I just wish I didn't have to.

• Reply 40 of 219
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Blah