Timed with Aperture announcement, Apple updates remaining pro apps: Final Cut, Motion, Compressor &

Posted:
in Mac Software edited June 2014
On the heels of Apple's announcement that it will no longer update its professional photography software Aperture, the company issued a round of updates for many of its remaining pro apps, which the company has said will continue to live on.

FCP

Updates for Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor arrived on the Mac App Store Friday afternoon. The updates were issued just after Apple announced that it will no longer develop Aperture.

New features for Final Cut Pro X version 10.1.2 are:
  • Optimized, proxy, and rendered media can be stored at any location outside of the library
  • Easily delete optimized, proxy, and rendered media from within Final Cut Pro X
  • Used media indicators for Compound clips, Multicam clips, and Synced clips
  • Option to show only unused media in the Browser
  • Apply a standard (Rec. 709) look in real time to high dynamic range and wide color gamut video from ARRI, Blackmagic Design, Canon, and Sony cameras
  • Automatically apply an ARRI embedded 3D LUT from the new AMIRA camera
  • Support for Apple ProRes 4444 XQ
  • Improved speed and accuracy when synchronizing clips
  • Audio recording improvements including countdown and automatic Audition creation from multiple takes
  • Fast export of cuts-only projects containing XDCAM media
  • Export entire library as a single XML file
  • Selecting a library displays key metadata in the Inspector
  • Adjust relative and absolute volume of a clip or range selection
  • Create Keywords from Finder Tags when importing media
  • Option to sort events by date or name in the Libraries list
  • Import a clip by dragging directly into the Browser
  • Share 4K video to Vimeo
The Motion 5.1 update includes:
  • Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
  • FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support
  • Faster project loading, especially for complex projects
  • Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution
  • Spanish language localization
The update for Compressor 4.1.1 includes:
  • Resolves issues installing Compressor on a system where Qmaster was previously enabled
  • Improves reliability of Send to Compressor from Final Cut Pro X
  • Addresses distributed encoding errors when source files are not on the startup volume
  • Fixes errors that could cause a hang when submitting a batch
  • Fixes a stability issue that could occur if multiple Compressor plug-ins are installed
  • Resolves an issue when viewing a plug-in setting without the plug-in installed
  • Includes general stability improvements
Finally, an update to MainStage 3 is said to be forthcoming, according to TechCrunch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member

I'm happy with the little things like sorting by my clip name and showing only unused clips. Keyword and metadata improvements are welcome right off the bat. I'll be looking into the improvements immediately. Thank you, Apple.

• Reply 2 of 26
    creepcreep Posts: 80member

I thought Logic is considered a Pro app.  No?

• Reply 3 of 26
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Hear that? That's the sound of all the people re-downloading FCP X after bailing to Premiere when FCP X 10.0 didn't have all the features that FCS 7 had.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Good to know they don’t plan on gutting their ENTIRE product line.

• Reply 5 of 26
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Any thoughts on a replacement for Logic?  I don't need Pro Tools compatibility...

• Reply 6 of 26

Logic is not being discontinued.

• Reply 7 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    john.b wrote: »
    Any thoughts on a replacement for Logic?  I don't need Pro Tools compatibility...

Is it too much program for your needs? Have you looked at GarageBand?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'll know if it works in Yosemite in a few moments ... (without having to use the terminal work around) ...

nope ... drat.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I personally use Abelton Live with Push but I would also recommend FL Studio for OSX. It's an absolutely fantastic piece of software for the beginner and professional alike. I recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 so I could use Ableton Live with a touch screen, but also wanted to try out FL Studio Groove, a Windows 8 only app, I thought it would be something cool to just play around with but it turned out to be one of the most intuitive music creation apps that I have used in recently history, love it. Anyway, defiantly try out FL Studio Producer. I would also recommend checking out AudioTool's free online app, very, very cool, has everything you would ever want to create cool music and did I mention that it was FREE.

• Reply 10 of 26
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I'll know if it works in Yosemite in a few moments ... (without having to use the terminal work around) ...

nope ... drat.

@dc FCPX 10.1.2 shows as a valid app and opens fine on OS X 10.10 (14A261i)
  • Reply 11 of 26
    dougless wrote: »
    Logic is not being discontinued.

Yes, I think the headline about updating the video pro apps is being conflated by many incorrectly to mean only keeping those, as opposed to meaning they are being updated at the same time Aperture and iPhoto are being dumped. So Logic Pro X is, from this information, not being updated today nor being dropped... that's how I read this.
  • Reply 12 of 26

That's weird, it didn't for me on a new Mac pro running the latest Yosemite and after running these updates. I still got the message they are not compatible and they are greyed out with the 'no go' sign. Well that's good news for sure. I'll have to start over with my installations, something maybe screwy. Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

That's weird, it didn't for me on a new Mac pro running the latest Yosemite and after running these updates. I still got the message they are not compatible and they are greyed out with the 'no go' sign. Well that's good news for sure. I'll have to start over with my installations, something maybe screwy. Thanks for the info.

FWIW, I just updated the apps from the Appstore Purchased screen. But I didn't have any prior versions of the apps on this particular Yosemite HDD -- so they were all fresh install as opposed to update/replacements.

Also, you'll be warned that you have to update your libraries (non-reversible) so I recommend you start with a small dummy library opened.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Pity that without FCS, FCPX is largely orphaned in digital media workflows. Anyone know a way to use FCPX as a front end with an Avid back end?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    FWIW, I just updated the apps from the Appstore Purchased screen. But I didn't have any prior versions of the apps on this particular Yosemite HDD -- so they were all fresh install as opposed to update/replacements.

Also, you'll be warned that you have to update your libraries (non-reversible) so I recommend you start with a small dummy library opened.

OK thanks, I'll just play on copies once set up. I am going to set up a new Yosemite boot drive tomorrow. I suspect I have some damaged directories and Disk Warrior doesn't seem to like the 10.10 volume.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    longpath wrote: »
    Pity that without FCS, FCPX is largely orphaned in digital media workflows. Anyone know a way to use FCPX as a front end with an Avid back end?

You lost me there ... what is FCS in this context? If you mean Final Cut Studio, I don't see the need for that in any work flow with FCPX so I assume you don't mean that. Sorry if I am being slow here ... :D
  • Reply 17 of 26
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    creep wrote: »
    Mainstage is part of Logic. Or is built off Logic's engine and plug in structure anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    So if they're not developing Aperture, does that mean they're discontinuing it ? If so, what will be replacing it ?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Creep View Post

Logic had a significant update a month ago so it's not part of these.

• Reply 20 of 26
    x