Apple will no longer develop Aperture or iPhoto, OS X Yosemite Photos app to serve as replacement

Comments

• Reply 61 of 219
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    Wow Xmas came early for Adobe!
  • Reply 62 of 219
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Aperture hasn't been "better" than Lightroom for ages. 

This probably sounds somewhat silly (admittedly, it is), but I wasn't arguing which was better - rather I was arguing that just because more people use one over another is not an indication of better. More people use Windows than OS X but I doubt many here (other than the trolls) would argue that makes Windows better. More McDonald's hamburgers are eaten than any others, and we all know theirs are rubbish. There are more cockroaches in the world than people but that doesn't make them superior ;-)

• Reply 63 of 219
    The update cycle of Aperture is appalling. Buggy. Crashes. Quint monstrous library database that needed building/repairing every now and then.

It fills an essential need for manipulating huge libraries of photos but is equally out of step, "weird", finicky and let's not forget *&@!ing slow!!!!!

Although I fear Yosemite Photos will be little more than iPad Photos , something that is fast, less buggy, maintained with more genuine love and works more seamless with iCloud would be appreciated.

Hope it can heavy-lift massive libraries and organises and shares libraries more professional.
  • Reply 64 of 219
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Apple stopped development of Aperture a long time ago.

Makes me question using Logic...

• Reply 65 of 219
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

I hate that they're abandoning Aperture before launching its replacement.  I guess I'm going to switch to Lightroom 5, but I started testing it this week in anticipation of this, and it just feels so clumsy and clunky by comparison.

• Reply 66 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Why? There's barely any of it in this thread. 

• Reply 67 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

BS. Does it seem at all like Apple to say, “Yes, we’re known for building both hardware and software that works together seamlessly and in a way that absolutely no other company can do because we control both and can build one to compliment the other, SO NOW GO USE SOFTWARE FROM THIS THIRD PARTY WHO IS EXPLICITLY KNOWN FOR BUILDING THE WORST, LEAST OPTIMIZED SOFTWARE ON OUR PLATFORM”?!

We're getting a replacement. You do know that, right?  And as yet we don't know its exact feature set. 

• Reply 68 of 219
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Features you love will be removed.

Then they will be added back in.

Advice to Aperture users:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. Send feedback to apple.com/feedback once Photos is out, telling them which missing Aperture features (if any) are important to you.

3. Keep using Aperture until Photos can meet your needs. Aperture still exists.

4. I hear good things about Lightroom. Which is surreal to me, since everything I have personally experienced from Adobe in recent years has been negative! But it's nice to have options.

Lightroom is an excellent program. It's great for organizing and doing some basic photo adjustments. For me personally, nothing beats the combination of Lightroom and CS5. I do have Aperture, but I didn't like it. It just doesn't have the tools like CS5. 

• Reply 69 of 219
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Well, the Aperture news is surprising and disappointing. Hopefully this means Apple will be buying Adobe.

That would be the greatest thing ever. I was about to switch to Aperture, but when I saw that announcement at WWDC I thought this might happen, so I held off. I guess I'll just ride it out for now and see what happens next year. Not that big a deal to me since I'm not a pro photographer, so Photos will probably be fine for me. Eventually I'll be migrating away from Adobe to pixelmator and other comparable design apps for vectors and layout. Going to try to stay away from subscriptions as long as possible, but it's getting harder and harder.
  • Reply 70 of 219
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I don't use aperture, so I can't comment intelligently on that.

I do use iPhoto and have mixed feelings. I think I paid for it too. It isn't great, and is a huge memory hog, slow, and not particularly intuitive. If this means a better Yosemite app, well...OK. But i needs to be backwards compatible too. I have legacy machines (as do many people) and they shouldn't be abandoned.

What would truly suck would be a Yosemite app that has no option to function without cloud storage. Many people simple want local options only, refuse to upload anything. And of course, I doubt a cloud option will be unlimited and free, meaning I will stick to local storage for many things...as will many people.

A killer feature for a Yosemite photo app would be to have an option for your own "cloud" storage location: your photos live on a HD you own connected to the mac, and it shares it out to all your other macs and devices through your interwebs connection seamlessly.

• Reply 71 of 219
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Apple needs their own pro suite, because Adobe is a lowest common denominator company not pushing the envelope in any way, focused on a non-standard GUI and cross-platform software.

iOS reminds me daily more of MS-DOS with task switcher multitasking: each App has its own UI, the OS X UI consistency is also a thing of the past. We might as well be using Java apps at this point.

Apple needs to reinvigorate the platform by having a key product in each core software category that raises the bar and sets minimal standards for the platform, creating heat on sloths like Adobe.

alternatively, instead of wasting money on a brand that makes shitty headphones, buy Adobe, retool their Software, make it Mac-only, and re-establish the Mac as the premier content creation platform.

All good points.  Adobe has always had cross-platform development at the core of their software designs.  Shaves a little off the development budget because they can hire fewer people who are experts in one platform.  But yes, it leads to lowest-common denominator UI design that acts as a boat anchor.  And not just a boat anchor for Adobe and its products.  It slowed down OS X adoption among pros over a 10 year period before Adobe ported Photoshop to OS X.

I think the Beats acquisition is more about music industry connections and the potential for bridging the massive Silicon Valley vs. Hollywood divide.  Apple can and will eventually revolutionize much of the entertainment industry.  But they need to do it very deliberately.  Getting Iovine and Dre on board is just one small step.  And I'm sure Ive could drastically improve Beats' hardware overnight.  If he wanted to.

So how much is Adobe worth now?  Let's see.  Its market cap is about $35 billion.  Add a premium to lock in the deal with its board, and that would raise the acquisition price to $45 to $50 billion.  But is it really worth $50 billion to Apple?  To buy Adobe just to kill off its Windows offerings, re-write everything in Swift for OS X, and own several segments of the "pro apps" market?  Hoping that Adobe's Windows-using customers will switch to Mac?  Not sure it's worth it.

• Reply 72 of 219
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We're getting a replacement. You do know that, right?  And as yet we don't know its exact feature set. 

I’ll hold you to that. I hope beyond hope myself that Photos is a replacement to Aperture, but shipping freely with every Mac, I seriously doubt it. I doubt if it will even have RAW support.

And this:

Apple also said it is working with Adobe to help users transition to its Lightroom app for Mac. 

Really leads me to believe that you’re wrong.

• Reply 73 of 219
    NOO! TIM COOK IS RUINING APPLE!

Okay, now that I think I got ahead of everyone on that.

Surprising that iPhoto is going away.
  • Reply 74 of 219
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

This doesn't surprise me and I think they even mentioned something during the keynote, or someone did.  The fact that the new Photos app is going to have some great image editing capabilities that were highlighted on the phone, and yet be easy to use, leads me to believe that's the way things are heading.  iPhoto's biggest issue was performance, and Craig stated that the new Photos app will be high performance.

They also said in the keynote that this was replacing iPhoto. Again, I have no idea why this is news.

So again, no surprise here.

• Reply 75 of 219
    IF and that is a big "IF" the photos app built into Yosemite offer comparable or the same editing capabilities of Aperture, then it will be just as good or better than lightroom. Basically you will have all the search, organization, indexing and file management capabilities of the finder and iCloud replication across all your devices (first 5GB free.) No crazy proprietary file libraries and databases and I can open photos in any external editor and save them in-place fully versioned. If they manage to make it plugin-extendable it could turn out to be a photoshop killer.
  • Reply 76 of 219
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Surprising that iPhoto is going away.

Couldn’t be happier. Can’t have Photos and iPhoto in the same ecosystem. This bodes well for iOS, too. It’s nonsense to have both.

The loss of Aperture, though, is inexcusable unless Photos picks up the slack.

Originally Posted by Eric Swinson View Post

If they manage to make it plugin-extendable it could turn out to be a photoshop killer.

Well, no, a Lightroom killer. Nothing that any of Apple’s three applications do even touches Photoshop in image creation.

• Reply 77 of 219
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    It became clear this was going to happen as it followed the same pattern as other software Apple EOL'd:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160439/beware-of-the-pages-update#post_2428497

"The next casualties will be Aperture and Quicktime (Pro)"

The lead developer of Aperture actually left Apple years ago and I believe he started the project. AFAIK, there were no major releases after his departure. This happened with Shake; the team went to work on Nuke and Shake just languished with compatibility updates and then just EOL.

In order for a software project to keep being developed, it needs the talent to stay - Apple knows this. Software developers are often treated like replaceable technical staff but they come up with innovative ways to do tasks.

I expect FCP will continue as long as Randy Ubillos is at Apple but after that, who knows.

Apple isn't really dedicated to making apps. They make software where they feel they have to. Their focus is hardware and the OS.

When it comes to companies like Adobe, their focus is apps because that's what keeps the company going. While subscriptions aren't appealing to everyone, they allow a software-focused company to keep delivering updates by maintaining a large team of developers - look at Avid for what happens with the standalone payment model. Smaller software packages tend to have very limited functionality so it doesn't make sense to subscribe to those. Larger software needs to be updated all the time because the industry keeps changing and entire industries depend on the software so subsidising the software makes sense. The alternative (discontinuing software and having to migrate to and learn a different package) is far worse.

This is just one more indicator that professionals should not rely on Apple's apps. The hardware and OS on the other hand are perfectly fine and the software Apple makes is good enough for people who don't have to earn a living from the use of it. Logic and FCP are exceptions for the time being.
  • Reply 78 of 219
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I hate that they're abandoning Aperture before launching its replacement.  I guess I'm going to switch to Lightroom 5, but I started testing it this week in anticipation of this, and it just feels so clumsy and clunky by comparison.

That's what doesn't make sense about this story.  Apple is usually tight lipped about everything.  Why would they announce this now after so many months of nothingness on the Aperture front?  All it does is encourage people to jump ship to Adobe.  Something isn't right with this story and leads me to believe more will be announced in the near future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Questions answered!

• Reply 79 of 219
    gcom006gcom006 Posts: 73member
    This isn't entirely surprising though it is mildly disappointing. That said though, like many have noted, this doesn't mean that Apple is done developing pro-level software. Perhaps it will just eventually all roll into the new Photos app. But realistically, I don't know of many pro-photographers who use Aperture. Everyone complains about Lightroom and Photoshop, but it's still the standard for most, like it or not.

Also, has anyone considered that perhaps Apple worked out a deal with Adobe to drop Aperture in exchange for more influence on Adobe's Mac apps, or perhaps in an effort to get more resources devoted to Mac development? Maybe Apple's working to improve the relationship with Adobe and thus the software quality, which on some level would make sense given again that Adobe has a very strong hold on the pro market. Aperture isn't on nearly the same level as Final Cut Pro or even Logic Pro when it comes to actual working professional usage. It might just make sense to play ball with them to improve the experience as opposed to competing with them with what many consider to be a lesser product.
  • Reply 80 of 219

If Apple thinks that we all believe they plan to continue on with other Pro Apps they're crazy. Though I'm not excited about it, I'm headed full tilt into Adobe including their video software which will replace Final Cut Pro X. The integration of my stills and video was so important but they've given up so I'm doing the same. Don't want to but it's Adobe Premier and Lightroom full steam ahead. Lord, Adobe must be salivating! Isn't it great to not have any competition. Apple you've lost a lot of credibility in my mind. Truly disappointing.