Adobe 'committed to helping' Aperture customers migrate to Lightroom after Apple announcement

Posted:
in Mac Software edited July 2014
Following Friday's announcement that Apple would discontinue both iPhoto and Aperture in favor of OS X Yosemite's new Photos app, software giant Adobe chimed in to tout its "rich roadmap" for Lightroom -- Aperture's main competitor -- and to reiterate the company's commitment to Apple-based photographers.

"Put simply we're doubling down on our investments in Lightroom and the new Creative Cloud Photography plan and you can expect to see a rich roadmap of rapid innovation for desktop, web and device workflows in the coming weeks, months and years," Adobe digital imaging executive Winston Hendrickson said in a blog post. Lightroom, which first saw stable release in 2007, has sapped a number of former Aperture users in recent years as Apple's offering seemed near-abandoned.

Lightroom is available as part of Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography subscription program, which gives users access to the latest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop CC for $9.99 per month. That will represent a steep step up in cost for Aperture users, who have been able to purchase recent copies of the software for just $79.99.

"We also continue to invest actively on the iOS and OSX platforms, and are committed to helping interested iPhoto and Aperture customers migrate to our rich solution across desktop, device and web workflows," Hendrickson added. The company later said that they are working on ways for Aperture users to import their libraries to Lightroom, but provided no further details.

Apple announced Aperture's sunset earlier Friday with a brief statement.

"With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture," Apple said. "When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Adobe rubbing their hands with glee... :lol:
  • Reply 2 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    aaaaagggghhhhhhhh!
  • Reply 3 of 92
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    SMH
  • Reply 4 of 92
    avonordavonord Posts: 71member

*facepalm*

• Reply 5 of 92
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Apple basically won the mobile flash argument so they probably don't consider Adobe to be an enemy anymore.  As long as Adobe is making pro software for OSX, Apple keeps selling computers.  

• Reply 6 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Screw ‘em.

• Reply 7 of 92
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Of course they are...

• Reply 8 of 92
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Checking out Phase One's "Capture One Pro" instead.

I'm not a fan of Adobe's UI.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Sadly, I subscribed to Adobe's suite a few days ago.  It was all because of the uncertainty of Aperture.  Apple really left it on the vine to rot and the general feeling from the user community is that Apple stopped updating it.

It's really too bad.  I don't like Adobe, and I'm certainly not a fan of its subscription model.  For the most part, they are the 800-pound gorilla in the room for the time being.

I preferred Apple's more polished, native app than Adobe's java nonsense.

I'm going to keep a very close eye on what Apple does.  I'm getting very deep back into professional photography and I couldn't wait to see what Apple was going to do.  I hope they integrate all of Aperture's more "professional" components into iPhoto, including RAW support.

I suspect for Adobe, it's a limited moment of joy.

• Reply 10 of 92
    The only thing that would cheer me up right now is news Apple are buying Adobe. Making all the software have a true OS X GUI and closing down production for Windows. That last part is just for laughs.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    gustav wrote: »
    Checking out Phase One's "Capture One Pro" instead.

I'm not a fan of Adobe's UI.

That crossed my mind. I have briefly played with it and it has some amazing RAW controls.

Any interested can download a trial version here http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Capture-One-Pro-7.aspx

I'm not sure but I don't think it has a database capability like Aperture and Lightroom but I remember the RAW conversion was beyond belief.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The only thing that would cheer me up right now is news Apple are buying Adobe. Making all the software have a true OS X GUI and closing down production for Windows. That last part is just for laughs.

Hell yeah man…as a graphic designer I second that!

• Reply 13 of 92
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A "rich roadmap" of rapid charges to your credit card, "doubling down" on intrusive system add-ons and customer data breaches.

Well... fingers crossed that either Lightroom or Photos will turn out to be a good deal and a good alternative!
  • Reply 14 of 92
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

That would make my day. Or even better, saying "only joking" then pulling out Aperture Super Pro, iPhotoshop, i-Lustrator etc. A whole suite to kill off Adobe once and for all.

• Reply 15 of 92
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Of course, if Apple zapped all of the Windows CC applications, Microsoft would take it  as a shot across the bow and shut down Office for Mac.

• Reply 16 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Of course, if Apple zapped all of the Windows CC applications, Microsoft would take it  as a shot across the bow and shut down Office for Mac.

And no one would care, as iWork has been the better suite for years.

• Reply 17 of 92
    Apple and Adobe have traditionally collaborated. Apple licensed PostScript for their early LaserWriters, and Apple licenses DisplayPDF for OS X.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    tommyttommyt Posts: 1member
    Apple looking to buy Adobe, seems very cosy again??
  • Reply 19 of 92

I am very disappointed. I am in love with aperture. I don't want to use adobe products.:embarrass

philboogie
  • Reply 20 of 92
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Why not support the creative professionals that saved Apple's *** when the company was struggling?  Why cut pro apps?

It seems like Apple can be a successful vendor to the general public AND to pros.  Why cut this app??

philboogie