Adobe 'committed to helping' Aperture customers migrate to Lightroom after Apple announcement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Of course, if Apple zapped all of the Windows CC applications, Microsoft would take it  as a shot across the bow and shut down Office for Mac.

I was kidding but then again ... ;) I don't think Office has much pull in the OS X world these days to be honest but what do i know? I'm a graphics guy not a person who needs to do ... wait, what is Office for anyway?
  • Reply 22 of 92

Adobe. Committed to helping customers. That's a laugh.

• Reply 23 of 92
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Checking out Phase One's "Capture One Pro" instead.

I'm not a fan of Adobe's UI.

$400

• Reply 24 of 92
    bolbolize wrote: »
    I am very disappointed. I am in love with aperture. I don't want to use adobe products.:embarrass

I assume Aperture will keep working ... I just read in ARS that it doesn't work in Yosemite, which is weird as I have been using it around the clock in Yosemite for the last two weeks without any issues.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    jongrall wrote: »
    Adobe. Committed to helping customers. That's a laugh.

Helping them sign up for creative cloud!
  • Reply 26 of 92
    freediverx wrote: »
    $400

Ouch ... but .. for Photography pros that's not a big deal, no one is suggestion iPhoto users get it ;) Then again I do want that Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L EF IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens soon and that comes first ... :D
  • Reply 27 of 92
    flipkalflipkal Posts: 28member
    Still reeling from this announcement. I wonder why Aperture was not farmed out to another company to continue development in conjunction with Apple. To drop the product is a slap in the face of all professionals who have used it faithfully, hoping that Apple would surprise us all with a Lightroom killer at some point in time. That won't happen now. I've used LR and have not been impressed with the UI nor file management capabilities. A real step back in many aspects.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ouch ... but .. for Photography pros that's not a big deal, no one is suggestion iPhoto users get it image Then again I do want that Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L EF IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens soon and that comes first ... image

I've been reading numerous comments from some who expect the new Photos app will incorporate a lot of Aperture's power, rather than being a wimpy iPhoto refresh. I sure hope they're right. Note that Apple didn't say anything about customers having other options and they mentioned migrating to Photos. I think it would be pretty crass of Apple to suggest customers can migrate from Aperture to Photos if the latter will just have iPhoto-level features.

• Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ouch ... but .. for Photography pros that's not a big deal, no one is suggestion iPhoto users get it image Then again I do want that Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L EF IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens soon and that comes first ... image

It's not just the cost of the app but the time and effort to migrate a large photo collection and learn a new workflow. I'm pretty sure Phase One lacks many of Aperture's OSX integration features.

• Reply 30 of 92
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I bought my first DSLR about a year ago and did my research into whether I should buy Aperture or Lightroom. If I hadn't done any research, I would have bought Aperture. I wanted to like Aperture. Unfortunately, Lightroom is simply the better product despite all of the nonsense comes with Adobe products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And no one would care, as iWork has been the better suite for years.

Keep dreaming.

• Reply 31 of 92
    hspanhshspanhs Posts: 24member
    Apple is now concentrating upon developing a very good eco system for the Macs, iPads and iPhones and future products. This will be the future Apple company. We will all like it, I am sure. The New Photos will be developed and integrated into this eco system. IPhoto and Aperture do not belong there. Remember, Apple is a hardware company and it only makes a few pieces of very good software to make people interested in its products. Adobe is a software company and it will make software for the Mac as well as for Windows.

Adobe loves making software and will continue developing incredible software for professionals. The Creative Cloud is outstanding. Fantastic. I loved Aperture, but I left it half a year ago and I must say, Lightroom is very good indeed. It takes a few hours to get used to, but is not harder than driving various kinds of automobiles.

The Creative Cloud gives you software that does cost a bit, but for persons who need to be at the front, they will need Adobe and they will be very prepared to pay. Without Adobe, the graphical industry would come to a stand-still, without Apple, the world would not be as elegant any more.

Apple and Adobe need each other and I am sure, Adobe will produce software for the Apple eco system and this will be awsome for all of us.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I bought my first DSLR about a year ago and did my research into whether I should buy Aperture or Lightroom. If I hadn't done any research, I would have bought Aperture. I wanted to like Aperture. Unfortunately, Lightroom is simply the better product despite all of the nonsense comes with Adobe products.

Keep dreaming.

What are some of the ways in which you feel Lightroom is a clearly better product?

• Reply 33 of 92
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Frankly, these kinds of moves are one of the things I admire most about Apple. Yes, I know what you're thinking- this move is "bad". But I don't think so- I think this is what lies at the very core of Apple's philosophy. Hear me out:

Apple clearly spent alot of time in building this product, updating it, advertising it, and integrating it. It's an excellent product, and financially, it's a net positive for them. It has a ton of loyal users, including Pros (and myself). Yet, in spite of this, they're willing to axe it, and even help people transition to a competitors product. This may enrage and confuse many. Yet to me, it is clear evidence that Apple has not forgotten what has made them great, and is still willing to make seemingly self-harming moves like this, when it truly believes its in the greater good. And that greater good is FOCUS. Apple, for better or worse, has decided that the baggage of maintaining the software, and making sure it plays well with their rebuilt photos app, is not the best use of their resources- especially when its for a limited user base. They made the calculation that marketing the product, and putting the energy and resources into meaningfully differentiating it from their upcoming photos app, is not in their best interest or that of most consumers. And thus, they answered the "does it deserve to exist" question. And that answer was "no". 

On many levels this is a good thing, in that it will give them more incentive into adding some more advanced features to their baked in photos app, that will obviously get constant updates and attention, and that he vast majority of OSX users will benefit from- at no cost. For those with greater needs, Apple has decided that these users have viable options from other software developers. This shows that Apple is still focused on being ultra lean and efficient, and willing to cull its products to remain that way. 

• Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yet, in spite of this, they're willing to axe it, and even help people transition to a competitors product. 

Where are people getting the idea that Apple is helping Aperture users transition to a competitor's product? They stated they would help their users transition to the new Photos app. Only ADOBE said they'd help users transition to their own (crappy) product.

• Reply 35 of 92
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

What are some of the ways in which you feel Lightroom is a clearly better product?

Simply put, I can get better-looking photographs faster with Lightroom. Aperture lacks really basic functionality like lens correction. There's plugins that'll add functionality like this but they're not as good or well-supported as Lightroom.

• Reply 36 of 92
    My instinct is that people who are willing to pay the price for Lightroom have already made the switch. Aperture has been stagnant and subpar in most areas for a while now. People who don't want to pay that much are probably content with iPhoto or Picasa, or will just keep using Aperture until Photos.app arrives.

I own Lightroom because it works well, and the $10/month PS LR bundle makes it easy to justify, but I'm not a huge fan. I dislike the UI tremendously.

I would have preferred that Apple actually put resources into Aperture back when it was a contest (it hasn't been for some time). I do have high hopes for the new Photos app. If they can build in solid RAW processing and good catalog management while keeping the consumer friendly items like face detection and naming, and mapping, I'd be pretty happy.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:

Simply put, I can get better-looking photographs faster with Lightroom. Aperture lacks really basic functionality like lens correction. There's plugins that'll add functionality like this but they're not as good or well-supported as Lightroom.

I've seen some examples where some image corrections turn out a bit better in Lightroom. But for me its shortcomings in OSX integration, user interface and workflows drown out the value of these benefits. To me it's a bit like the choice between an Apple computer and a Dell PC configured with more features and a faster processor - on paper the latter makes more sense, but in day to day usage I know I'm happier with the former.

• Reply 38 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Keep dreaming.

I woke up years ago. Rise and shine.

• Reply 39 of 92
    igamogamigamogam Posts: 42member
    undefined
  • Reply 40 of 92

It's working fine in 10.10 for me too. I suspect Apple will keep it working, fixing any crash bugs, until Photos comes out early next year. They won't give loyal users a reason to jump ship to Adobe. Same thing with iPhoto.