Audi announces support for Apple's CarPlay in 2015 models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Ulrich Hackenberg? Sounds like a made up name.

Au contraire, mon frére -- his title: Prof. Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg suggests authenticity ...

Ahh, the Germans -- Their business cards are so big because they itemize their degrees on them, e.g. Herr Doktor Doktor Doktor ...
  • Reply 22 of 52
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    maclvr03 wrote: »
    Anytime now Volkswagen...

I think if Audi is implementing it, others in the VAG will have it as well.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    isteelers wrote: »
    I think if Audi is implementing it, others in the VAG will have it as well.

They really need to rethink that acronym.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well, it does have a certain appeal to the straight single male crowd...

• Reply 25 of 52
    Smart move, and like others have said about bloody time. The customer shouldn't be penalized for switching phones, as most keep there cars 4-7 years longer then phone upgrades. I have an Audi already and was considering getting a new vehicle in 1-2 years. So it's nice to see that in car technology is finally advancing.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Just hope that all of these manufacturers include carplay, etc. at little to no additional cost.

It doesn't really cost them anything extra in terms of hardware or software to implement/integrate.

If they are going to require a $2K navigation upgrade to enable it, that would suck. Especially because the navigation feature would be pointless with carplay.

Little or no cost .. not going to happen. CarPlay and Android Auto will be optional extras and you'll pay through the nose for it.  Just wait and see.

But even if it pisses off the fanatics on AI, I expect ALL auto manufactureres will find solutions to be device independent and also to wall off the onboard control systems from Apple or Android or whatever.  In its home market in Germany, Apple is a minor factor for Audi/VW .. with ca 15% market share apple will never get exclusivity on the german auto market. No auto makers are that dumb. They understand their strategy and customer market/demographics much better than Apple does (perhaps google has an edge in this regard).

• Reply 27 of 52
    The US and Chinese markets are very important to Audi. Audi knows iPhone owners well fit their demographics. The majority of cell phone loyalty in America's more affluent neighborhoods (e.g. San Francisco and Greenwich, Conn.) accrues to iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Really?

Can you use VAG in a sentence so that we can understand why?:smokey:
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Really?

That looks like 10 lbs of VAG stuffed into a 5 lb bag. :lol:
  • Reply 30 of 52

VAG? How about Volkwagen AG IN America? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Reply 31 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Really?

At least it's not VAJAYJAY.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Really?

Was that on purpose?
  • Reply 33 of 52
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really?

Can you use VAG in a sentence so that we can understand why?image

Was that on purpose?

:smokey:

• Reply 34 of 52
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    A luxury carmaker that won't support Apple devices, or worse, prefer Android to iOS, is just being plain stupid. This is as ill-conceived as Ferrari allowing their logo to be slapped on an Acer laptop.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    tundraboy wrote: »
    A luxury carmaker that won't support Apple devices, or worse, prefer Android to iOS, is just being plain stupid. This is as ill-conceived as Ferrari allowing their logo to be slapped on an Acer laptop.

I don't think anyone has refused support.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Really?

"help I'm stuck in a giant VAG, and I can't get out"400
  • Reply 37 of 52
    "help I'm stuck in a giant VAG, and I can't get out"
    [image]

[VIDEO]

PS: I'm OK now although my legs are still a little sore.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    solipsismx wrote: »
    [VIDEO]

PS: I'm OK now although my legs are still a little sore.

That's funny. Did you see when Donald Sterling told Anderson Cooper that he should find himself a nice girl?
  • Reply 39 of 52
    That's funny. Did you see when Donald Sterling told Anderson Cooper that he should find himself a nice girl?

I didn't. I only learned of that clip 2 nights ago on The Daily Show when Jon Stewart used the last few seconds of it for his Moment of Zen segment at the end.

edit: Watching it now. Holy crap! He's saying he's sorry and then makes a negative comment about Magic Johnson when it wasn't even germane to the conversation. Weird!

edit2: Remember that episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where they came across a race of aliens that needed assistance and ended up kidnapping Geordie. They adopt other people technology by stealing or getting help but aren't very savvy? My point is they remind me of Donald Sterling with their whining.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 40 of 52
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I didn't. I only learned of that clip 2 nights ago on The Daily Show when Jon Stewart used the last few seconds of it for his Moment of Zen segment at the end.

edit: Watching it now. Holy crap! He's saying he's sorry and then makes a negative comment about Magic Johnson when it wasn't even germane to the conversation. Weird!

edit2: Remember that episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where they came across a race of aliens that needed assistance and ended up kidnapping Geordie. They adopt other people technology by stealing or getting help but aren't very savvy? My point is they remind me of Donald Sterling with their whining.

[VIDEO]

Oh yeah the planet Samsung one. :lol:

That interview while entertaining was difficult to watch. Donald Sterling's PR people need to get fired. He might be the only person in America that doesn't know that Anderson Cooper is gay.