Apple CEO Tim Cook 'outed' as gay by CNBC co-achor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
In a live TV segment of CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" on Friday, co-anchor Simon Hobbs caused a kerfuffle when he inadvertently "outed" Apple CEO Tim Cook as being openly gay.

Tim Cook

The gaffe came during a discussion with New York Times columnist and CNBC contributor James Stewart, who was on the show to talk up his latest think piece dealing with corporate culture and gay executives.

Specifically, Stewart told "Squawk" anchor Carl Quintanilla that his most recent column focuses on former BP chief John Browne, who recently wrote a book dealing with the "tortured life" he led as a closeted gay CEO. Browne resigned from his post at the huge multinational oil and gas company in 2007 after being outed by a tabloid.

Stewart said he was surprised to learn that Browne is the first executive of a Fortune 500 or FTSE 100 company to publicly acknowledge that they are gay. The column explores why, in spite of civil rights advances, a stigma appears to exist at such high levels of business.

"I just found it very, very fascinating," Stewart said. "Of course, there are gay CEOs in major companies, and I reached out to many them. I got an extremely cool reception -- not one would allow to be named in the column."

Then Hobbs jumped in.

"I think Tim Cook is open about the fact he's gay at the head of Apple, isn't he," Hobbs asked. Following a stifling silence from the panel, and a disparaging shake of the head from Stewart, the anchor tried to recover. "Oh, dear, was that an error? I thought not."

The irony of Hobbs' ill-timed mistake was not lost on co-anchor David Faber, who said, "Wow, I think you just...yeah."

Listening closely, Hobbs can be heard just under the prattle of his co-anchors trying to cover for the slip, saying, "I think he's very open about it."

While Cook speaks somewhat frankly about Apple, he is notoriously guarded when it comes to his private life.

Speculation as to Cook's sexual orientation has been bandied about -- a profile from Valleywag went so far as to call Cook the "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley" -- but the Apple chief has never "come out" publicly. Perhaps the closest thing to an acknowledgement was a speech Cook gave in December when he accepted a lifetime achievement award from his alma mater Auburn University. In it, he alluded to discrimination from his past, which was "rooted in fear of people that were different than the majority."

That Hobbs' comment -- and executives' reluctance to be named in Stewart's column -- created such a flap speaks to the current cultural climate of the corporate world, even for industries that pride themselves on being progressive. Apple itself has on multiple occasions shown support for sexual equality: contributing $100,000 to fight California's gay marriage ban in 2008; publicly applauding a U.S. Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriages in 2013; and asking Arizona's governor to veto a bill intended to legalize discrimination against gays and lesbians.

As for Cook, Stewart chose not to offer remarks on what is clearly speculation.

"I don't want to comment on anybody who might or might not be," Stewart said. "I'm not going to out anybody."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 199
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If you preface potentially undisclosed or false information with "I think" and end it with a question you should shut the **** up.
  • Reply 2 of 199
    Tim Cook is gay. We all know that. He doesn't speak of his personal life. It doesn't matter.

Tim is simply the best CEO Apple can have after Steve Jobs. He will continue to be Apple's CEO for the rest of his life. Apple is his baby now.
  • Reply 3 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a live TV segment of CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" on Friday, co-anchor Simon Hobbs caused a kerfuffle when he inadvertently "outed" Apple CEO Tim Cook as being openly gay.

Tim Cook was already "outed" by Gawker 2 years ago.  

• Reply 4 of 199
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    We all know that.

We don't all know that. All we have are rumours and speculation to go by. You may have received hard evidence that supports your claim but we don't all know that.
  • Reply 5 of 199

Time Cook?

• Reply 6 of 199
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Indeed, just respect the man's privacy. He's publicly come out against government eavesdropping and these prattling clowns shove him before the court of public opinion for a private matter.
  • Reply 7 of 199
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    If he is openly gay, then how can he be outed?
    And why can't celebrities be gay while they are still celebrities?? We always hear their confessions when they are living in studio apartments and surviving on food stamps.
    Shame about the ex-BP CEO.
  • Reply 8 of 199
    Tim is a good CEO, and seems to be a genuinely good person. That's all he seems to want us to know, and I'm fine with that.
  • Reply 9 of 199
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We don't all know that. All we have are rumours and speculation to go by. You may have received hard evidence that supports your claim but we don't all know that.

Now there's a euphemism I've never heard before. ;)

• Reply 10 of 199
    tyler82 wrote: »
    If he is openly gay, then how can he be outed?

I find the wording of that first sentence to be awkward as it only becomes clear after reading the rest of the text. Perhaps, "...co-anchor Simon Hobbs caused a kerfuffle when he stated Tim Cook was openly gay, potentially outing the Cupertino* CEO."

* I have noticed AI doing that anymore. Remember when they used to refer to Apple as the Cupertino something maker?
  • Reply 11 of 199
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Such an incredibly well-thought-out question demands an equally deep counter-question...

SO?

• Reply 12 of 199
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Just another reason to hate CNBC. If Tim Cook is gay and wants the public to know he'll tell us. That's his decision, not CNBC's or Kara Swisher's or anyone else's. Leave Cook alone!
  • Reply 13 of 199
    solipsismx wrote: »
    However, we do know that James Stewart from the NY Slimes is.
  • Reply 14 of 199
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

The column explores why, in spite of civil rights advances, a stigma appears to exist at such high levels of business.

Has the column, or American in general still think the world == America? In spite of civil rights from where?

Most if not all FT 500 are multinational. Have luck trying to explain that to those country that civil rights hasn't advanced ( So to speak in American points of view )

And i continue to think whether CEO's sexual orientation, or the support of sexual orientation ( Brendan Eich ) are entirely their own business as long as they keep it to themselves.

Please just leave those people's private life along.

• Reply 15 of 199
    splifsplif Posts: 603member

and?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

However, we do know that James Stewart from the NY Slimes is.

• Reply 16 of 199
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Who cares. And shame on the media to harp on about things like this. The only way we'll move past social issues like homophobia and racism, is to well, stop making a thing about it at every damn chance we get.
  • Reply 17 of 199
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    John Stewart famously ripped CNBC, and Jim Cramer in particular, with providing false and misleading information to viewers for their own financial gain. Whether TC is gay or not is his own damn business and doesn't effect my opinion of him one bit.

CNBC and other so called financial news channels are acting in their own self interest, not yours. Period. End of story...
  • Reply 18 of 199
    splif wrote: »
    and?
    Probably the reason he was doing the story. No doubt Tim Cook is one of the CEOs he tried to get for his story.
  • Reply 19 of 199
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    This is 2014. Why is this news? WTF!
  • Reply 20 of 199
    thetorrey wrote: »
    Time Cook?

That's Tim's secret identity :lol: