Adobe 'committed to helping' Aperture customers migrate to Lightroom after Apple announcement

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92

When the Photos announcement was made at WWDC, I did wonder what would become of Aperture/iPhoto. Now we know. I really don't want to migrate to Adobe so I trust Apple will move the most often used features of Aperture over to Photos.

• Reply 62 of 92
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by igamogam View Post

Despite looking forward to the upcoming iCloud photo storage, another concern is just how iCloud/Photos.app will cope with large libraries that would swamp any iDevice many times over.

At WWDC, they clearly stated that iOS devices would automatically delete locally stored images when local storage was running low, but you would still see your entire image library in the cloud as thumbnails.

Again, very similar to how iTunes Match currently works, where you can browse and stream your entire music collection from the cloud with the option to download specific songs or albums for offline usage.

• Reply 63 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Seems Apple is actually embracing Lightroom. Probably good news for Lightroom development.

How is Apple embracing Lightroom?

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Apple already stated they will create a migration tool for users to switch over to LR, together with Adobe.

Where is everyone getting this idea? Please share a link to any reference to Apple making such a comment.

• Reply 64 of 92

• Reply 65 of 92
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Some of you are talking like your copy of Aperture will suddenly stop working.

iPhoto was crap, the new photo app will probably be based on Aperture but will be free like iPhoto but more powerful.

• Reply 66 of 92
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Aperture and iPhoto libraries were made share-able a couple of years ago; so I guess the writing was on the wall. If the new software is close to Aperture in capability, I'd probably be happy with that. But I pity the (real) pro-users who don't fancy LightRoom (which, from my brief acquaintance, is fast and quite OK, but out-of-step with the Apple way of doing stuff).
  • Reply 67 of 92

Capture One Pro 7 - worth every penny.

http://www.nomadlens.com/raw-converters-comparison

• Reply 68 of 92
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member

I've been using Photoshop since version 2, was an Adobe Photoshop sysop and co-authored a third party manual on it, plus I have written a good number of reviews of Adobe products over the years, so I know my way around the app, as well as all the master collection apps. When Lightroom came out I bought it. And then I tore my hair out trying to make productive use of it. The interface is of the kind that some people love and others hate. I'm among the latter. After repeated attempts over most of a year to get into it, I blew it off. It was nice to have an alternative to Lightroom, but that is no longer the case.

Once Adobe switched to the rental model (which effectively holds your intellectual property hostage - an outrageous situation from my point of view) I soured on Adobe. So have most of the corporate graphic folks I know. This is an unabashed expression of greed and of contempt for their customers, wrapped in tons of spin. I have no respect for Adobe whatsoever and I'm certainly not interested in sending Adobe an endless series of dole checks  

I'll keep using CS6. I no longer have an interest in whatever development Adobe does. As long as they retain the subscription-only model, they can get by without me. And this includes Lightroom.

• Reply 69 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tyancy wrote: »
    I've been using Photoshop since version 2, was an Adobe Photoshop sysop and co-authored a third party manual on it, plus I have written a good number of reviews of Adobe products over the years, so I know my way around the app, as well as all the master collection apps. When Lightroom came out I bought it. And then I tore my hair out trying to make productive use of it. The interface is of the kind that some people love and others hate. I'm among the latter. After repeated attempts over most of a year to get into it, I blew it off. It was nice to have an alternative to Lightroom, but that is no longer the case.

Once Adobe switched to the rental model (which effectively holds your intellectual property hostage - an outrageous situation from my point of view) I soured on Adobe. So have most of the corporate graphic folks I know. This is an unabashed expression of greed and of contempt for their customers, wrapped in tons of spin. I have no respect for Adobe whatsoever and I'm certainly not interested in sending Adobe an endless series of dole checks  

I'll keep using CS6. I no longer have an interest in whatever development Adobe does. As long as they retain the subscription-only model, they can get by without me. And this includes Lightroom.

Completely agree that Adobe has abandoned their users in favor of a rental/cloud model that NO ONE wanted. Personally sticking with CS5.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

$400

Uhm… it's $150 on their site. And even if it was $400, so what? It's for professionals.

• Reply 71 of 92
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    tyancy wrote:

Lightroom is still available as a boxed retail product. You can buy the latest version for about $100 on Amazon.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    The only thing Adobe is dedicated to is strong-arming as many people as possible into subscription plans, regardless of what customers actually want and need. And of course the existing customers obeyed and started subscribing, because what else could they do in a "free" market...
  • Reply 73 of 92
    hspanhshspanhs Posts: 24member
    Hello! I agree with you! Lightroom is fine. Works perfectly. It takes some time to adapt to, but such is life! Adobe is not good at UIs, but their software works splendidly and that is what I find most important. Lots of people seem to hate Adobe, but personally I am very grateful about the company. The CC is very important to me and to many people, certainly to you as well. Apple is a hardware company but it makes a few pieces of software. MacOSX is wonderful. Some people say they will buy Windows machines now that Apple has said goodbye to Aperture. But other companies, including Adobe, software makers, they will continue to make software for Apple. The forthcoming eco system of Apple will make it even more attractive to do that. And I am sure Adobe and Apple will collaborate, each one doing what it is best at! I think we need to see the big picture here and be ready to change when needed. Those who are not able to change will not survive in this industry. At least this is my opinion.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So you're good at complaining about everything, yet offering zero on alternatives.  What options are there?  Stick with a forgotten product like Aperture and go on blind faith that Apple will get iPhoto (or whatever) more current?  If not Adobe, then whom?  

I already pointed out that I'm not a fan of Adobe, but they are the only real game in town.  They have the product, it's used by a gazillion people, and most importantly, it's supported.  

What other option is there?  

Aside from learning to code there isn't any, and that is what makes it so bad for the end users.

• Reply 75 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Lightroom is still available as a boxed retail product. You can buy the latest version for about $100 on Amazon.

End of life product too.

• Reply 76 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I would love for the Aperture story to unfold in the same was as Final Cut Pro X. That transition just pissed off a lot of people who were accustomed to the old software's arcane UI and user flows. The new product is vastly superior in terms of usability and performance, and as far as I'm aware they've caught up on functionality missing in its initial release.

But I think you're right that Photos is not likely to be a true Aperture replacement, since there will no longer be separate apps for casual/pro users and we all know which group Apple will focus on with a single app. With new extensions capabilities in iOS 8 and Yosemite, however, I suspect Apple is going to give the developer community the option to extend Photos' capabilities,  with limitless potential. So I'm less worried about editing tools and more about the overall cohesiveness of the product and its flexibility to let users manage their image libraries in their own way. 

Re: Photos in the Cloud, I think some people are misunderstanding its purpose. I don't think they will prevent you from doing anything you already do today in terms of local storage and archiving. It's simply going to add the ability to automatically store and sync all photos taken with an iOS device via the cloud. 

If Apple sets up Photos like a OS where it can expanded, that can work over time, if developers can increase functionally within the program. 

• Reply 77 of 92
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Danox View Post

End of life product too.

Also available as a perpetual license right from Adobe’s website.

https://www.adobe.com/cart.html?marketSegment=COM&#

The boxed license is en of Life but so was the box of CS6.  I think the only way to get that was from Adobe too.

• Reply 78 of 92

Another slant from ApertureExpert:  http://bit.ly/1nRqCNE

• Reply 79 of 92
    I'll just continue using Aperture for at least two more years to come. Screw Adobe, Aperture is an incredible Application and maybe Apple's consumer grade App is really good.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Where is everyone getting this idea? Please share a link to any reference to Apple making such a comment.

Read it here:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/27/apple-to-cease-development-of-aperture-and-transition-users-to-photos-for-os-x/

and it was later redacted:

"Article updated to clarify that there is no official workflow for migrating to Lightroom."

Guess I shouldn't read that site, nor posts.