new iMac = fugly

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
first impression... ugly. Just doesn't jive. Metal 'arm', etc. Ugh. I'll wait for smoothed out rev. 2 thank you. And a nice 17.1 inch TFT (easy to add now)

Awesome specs though.

Does it remind anyone of the pixar lamp too? Like in the opening logo of Pixar? The way it moves, etc.

ah well, here comes a nice 14inch iBook fer me

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I wish you could rotate the screen by 90° to get a page display, that would be really really cool
  • Reply 2 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

Does it remind anyone of the pixar lamp too? </strong><hr></blockquote>Nah, looks like a shaving mirrror to me . . .

- T.I.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I think it is absolutely amazing. I'm really impressed by the design.

The ability to turn it 90 degrees would have been nice, but not really a big deal. Certainly not a deal breaker for anyone wanting to buy one.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    It's not a steaming pile of shi, but it's not what I'd design or be proud of.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    This coming from someone who udderly fell for it as far as iWalk is concerned! (ZO)

I love the new iMac... and the one feature that would make me buy one today at this very second would be the 90º portrait to landscape mode.

I'm willing to bet that if a lot of pro's catch on with this model, we'll see a page rotate feature in Rev. 2.

All in all I was very pleased with this keynote. All you "Apple is dead" people can ... well you know.

Mac Guru

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Mac Guru ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, i must mention (as i promised) that rok totally nailed this iMac on the head weeks ago. guess steve-O wasn't as good about keeping secrets as he'd like to think.

as for all the hype, what a joke. everyone knew this crap was coming out (hardware wise) and the software stuff is AOL'ish, nothing special.

not overly impressed, and definatly not "Way beyond the rumor sites"

putz.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Yep, I like it to. This will do a lot for Apple. My wife wants one so I guess this household will get a new iMac (I'm waiting for the towers)
  • Reply 8 of 23
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I was impressed and satisfied.

[quote] not overly impressed, and definatly not "Way beyond the rumor sites" <hr></blockquote>

If you saw the keynote you saw that Steve showed what most of the rumor sites had invisioned for the iMac, a flat all in one like the ASD's. The new iMac is way beyond what the rumors sites thought. That was what slogan was saying, not that MWSF was way beyond.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I love the new iMac. It took a few minutes to get used to but I love it. Too bad it doesn't look like I can get one though unless my mom convinces my dad to let me sell the iBook and get it.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I know people are pissed by not having the new PowerBooks and perhaps Apple should have made it clear that it was a consumer show and not a pro one. But overall the new iMacs are cool and I think needed. We'll see.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's still growing on me. Apple's images of it are much better than the Time images, and the design is very logical. I mentioned in another thread that I'm more of an angles guy, but I grew to like the old iMac too. However, I'm definitely a fan of the minimal aesthetic in any case. Some aren't, and I don't think Apple stuff will ever appeal to some people for that reason. Nor should it. But my favorite aspect of the new design is simply that it doesn't look like a computer -- lamp, mirror, whatever, but it's like the original iMac in that sense, and that HAS to be a Good Thing.?

PS: I suppose the blob base is the literal interpretation fo the digital "hub." (ba-da Bah!)
  • Reply 12 of 23
    [quote]...and the software stuff is AOL'ish, nothing special.<hr></blockquote>

I could not disagree more. Are you ****ing serious??

I think iPhoto is going to be a HUGE success. It is going to make managing digital photos so much easier. Truly amazing software, and only Apple could do it.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    idogcowidogcow Posts: 111member
    When I first saw the new iMac I thought I was going to puke..

But, I thought that about the cube, ibook, and Quicksilver too...

I like it now. It'll look awesome in my room
  • Reply 14 of 23
    eliahueliahu Posts: 71member
    My first reaction was neither here nor there. When I saw the iMac I didn't cringe and I didn't salivate. The new design is missing some of the little touches that have made me lust after most Apple hardware. I don't think this new iMac will be a total flop, but I also don't see it performing nearly as well in sales as the previous versions. In particular I have a hard time seeing the iMac win over potential Wintel owners. At $1299 for the base model, Apple will maintain or lose marketshare.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    katekate Posts: 172member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

I could not disagree more. Are you ****ing serious??

I think iPhoto is going to be a HUGE success. It is going to make managing digital photos so much easier. Truly amazing software, and only Apple could do it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

iView Multimedia was out looong ago and can do better, admittedly not for free.

I played with iPhoto for the last hour and while it offers some nice features it also has this iTunes feeling to it: Too restricted, cpu consuming, GUI wise not too well thought out, memory hungry, stuttery performance sometimes, very often showing the disc cursor rotating.

Well not too bad for a "free" app, but certainly not a "killer" or a well put reason to convince a potential buyer to put those $1300 or even more on the desk.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    I guess you're right, I've used iView quite a bit, but iPhoto seemed to make things alot easier. I like the idea of "playlists" for your digital photos. Simple and easy.

Of course I haven't used the app as you have, so your opinion will obviously hold more water than mine.

To say it's AOLish though... as a Mac user I feel completely insulted.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    The key is that this gives people one more INCLUDED FOR FREE tool to use for one of the things people want their computers to do.

Sure there might be some app out there that's better in some (or most) respects. But Apple is including these new machines with iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and (Superdrive models at least) iDVD. None of them is by itself the "killer app" that would make a user say "Never mind that $799 Dell," but combined they make for a really inviting, easy-to-use package.

That's a huge improvement, for the average user, in the immediate useability of their new computer. They can do MORE with it, right off that bat, without taking any classes or reading any thick computer manuals.

It may not seem great or revolutionary to the most dedicated & informed Mac user, but that's not really the point. The middle-aged computer-illiterates, and young families with kids, who combined probably make up 75% or more of the computer-buying public, will eat this up.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 23
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    i wonder if they come with free light bulbs and batteries are included?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Talibabble:

<strong>i wonder if they come with free light bulbs and batteries are included?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a lamp that looks just like the iMac... I will definitely be painting it white before my new iMac gets here.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    The old iMac was ugly. Metal cage, weird plastic, ugly handle, tray loader, etc.

Then they finally got the design down with the pretty crystal ones.

But even those look like Woody Allen next to Catherine Zeta Jones with these new ones.

SdC